Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dron

Frightening Gamez

Somewhat inspired by teh What's the scariest thing you've ever seen? Thread what's the most frightening game you've ever played? Quake used to really frighten me around 1996/1997. And (Don't laugh) Half-Life was pretty scary in at least one part I was playing for the first time with a dark monitor and after Black Mesa fell apart I walked into the meeting room where all the scientists used to be and the zombie sitting next to the eerie, flashing computer still barely moving scared me at first but then it WAS a dark monitor. I can't wait for Doom 3 which will probably send me into shock :)

Doom on 32X when I was young
Silent Hill scared the shit out of me more than anything else
Resident Evil 1/2 were good. The GC rehash even better
They hunger was scary at 3 in the morning

The first Resident Evil was pretty creepy, as was Doom, Quake, and Quake 2 at times. Zero Tolerance was also really scary. But I think I'd give my vote overall to either The Thing or Resident Evil.

They Hunger's the only thing I've really played that was scary...

System Shock 2 kind of was, but it was more about startling me than really truly scary.

Quake and Quake2 had their moments, especially Quake.

Games have thus far failed to scare me - probably because I played the wrong games?

I don't think so.. most games just really aren't all that truly scary. Usually just about surprising me, which is repetitive and annoying.

sargebaldy said:

I don't think so.. most games just really aren't all that truly scary. Usually just about surprising me, which is repetitive and annoying.

That's true for most survival horror games. But Silent Hill went a different route. Nothing ever jumped out at you. Instead the whole game was just plain creepy.

Job said:

Fatal Frame 1 and 2.

Ditto. Though here in the UK the series is called Project Zero.

silent hill 2. just disturbing

RE never even seemed remotly scary. honestly they hunger got more play. hopefully he makes one for HL2

When I was younger, Super Metroid had its way with me as well, heh.

Resident Evil scared me, as did the remake. I was never frightened by Doom.
In most games Im terrified of the 'pester' creatures. Little things that are hard to hit, that are usually fast and appear in dark places. They make the hair on the back of my neck prickle...
I wonder how much fun I'll have with the Trites in Doom3 :/

Three games:

Doom. The original, the classic. The first "realistic" game I played, and I had nightmares of doom when I was young and first played it. I seriously did. It was a game I loved immensely though. Not as much anymore :(

Quake. Now this game is just freaky. It's style is so disturbing and silent, and eerie. And it has freaky surprises. I find as I get older its much harder to be scared by games, but this game, with the lights off, sound up, and me alone, still makes me scared. Like, especially when the wind is blowing, I'm next to a torch, I push a switch and one of those fiend enemies screeches and jumps at you, and I'm running away like the monster is actually chasing me.

Clive Barker's Undying. Just a damn good, a bit scary horror-adventure FPS. In the league of Half-Life, just twice as long.

The encounters with SA-X in Metroid Fusion kinda got me on edge. I never was sure if I could stay and fight and actually cause damage up until it was obvious that it wasn't a scripted thing where I had to run.

System Shock 2, home alone, in the dark, with headphones on, tended to get me pretty scared when I was new to the game. Having done a little modding for it now, understanding somewhat how the game works (not the engine), it's a little less of a mystery. I've also learned to recognize what sounds belong to what, where before the difference was less obvious. Some sounds don't even sound like monster sounds. Anyway, I'm planning on seeing if I can tweak around the movement speed and some of the response timing of the monsters and stuff to make them a lot more difficult to take on. Various new mods for the game, including graphical overhauls that have been done, still breathe new life into the game for me. Now, new maps are a bit less common, so I'm going to learn to make those.

EDIT: Being a Doom forum and all I should probably mention that yeah, there were a lot of points in Doom where I was pretty surprised.

Darn I wish I could still run System Shock 2. In terms of scary stuff, I can't say that I've been actually scared by a game since Shadowgate on the NES (darn banshee...and heck, I was only 4...)

Silent Hill 1. Really creepy. It broke from the norm when it came to scaring you, relying on fear of the unknown. Things such as sounds and incredibly disturbing lighting and camera angles, you think you saw something, but weren't quite sure, then you hear the noises, you can make out shadows moving and you can hear them, but they aren't in your face like in the RE series. Add to that the 'other world' basically a bloodier, more sadistic and more terrifying copy of the real world. It feels familiar and you think you can predict what's going to happen in certain places, but that's the trap, loads of heart-in-mouth moments and just a generally disturbing and creepy game. The only game I've ever played where you wanted to play it soo much, but really really didn't want to play it at the same time, a masterpiece. My number one most terrifying game ever.

wildweasel-r3000 said:

Darn I wish I could still run System Shock 2. In terms of scary stuff, I can't say that I've been actually scared by a game since Shadowgate on the NES (darn banshee...and heck, I was only 4...)

Issues with XP? It runs fine for me, but my version is patched so that it will.

House of the Dead. The third in the series is another game where the zombies looks suspicously like the ones in Doom 3 / RE 1 remake ;).

Ultraviolet said:

Issues with XP? It runs fine for me, but my version is patched so that it will.

ditto

BTW, thanks for those links to those texture/model upgrades...got me playing through it again

NiGHTMARE said:

House of the Dead. The third in the series is another game where the zombies looks suspicously like the ones in Doom 3 / RE 1 remake ;).

Yeah that's it. Heh, I noticed the D3 resemblance too :D

I forgot- Realms of the haunting.

It features, for a lot of it, a really eerie and dark house, and since we live in houses, it really scares you. Especially when you flip on the 1930's style turntable and it starts playing screaming, disturbing noises. A really good game. Not scary all the way through though, but a definite eerie atmosphere.

Another great masterpiece.(4 discs long!)

In order that I first played them:

Maniac Mansion on the c64

Wolf3d

Doom, I couldn't play past the first level, heh.

Granted I was very young for each of those games.

The only game that scares me nowadays is Resident Evil - I refuse to play it :D