Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cycloid

any megawad anti cut and paste tips

i'm working on a multi level wad, as my deh monster changes are worthy of more than one map imho... but map02 already has several copy/paste features from map01, essentially the corridors and stairs. now i'm doing some subtle changes in style to keep it from being too repetitive. i.e. different junctions and changes in architecture (e.g. an open ceiling instead of lights)... but, just as a general question. what cunning devices do people suggest for making a large map/multilevel wad have a consistent theme (e.g. castle/fortress) without it just being same old corridor after corridor? aside from the occasional large room/set piece, that is...

Well, depending on the theme you can do broken architecture. I.e. cracks in the walls and floor, chairs or other objects that have been knocked over, computers, etc. Windows are also really great.

Connectivity. Play AV map06. Stop cut and paste, it's lame.

If you're already using cut and paste by map 2, then it's best you didn't make a megawad. Try for seven to ten maps instead.

well, it was a flight of stairs with a light above (a bit too complex to make each and every time due to the sector height crossovers)... a standard doorway/architrave (oh, come on!) and a bit of corridor (which i subsequently added windows into and changed into a longer, t-shaped one). hardly the same as repeating exact corridors with exact door placements... and i was already only aiming for 11 maps (so i could use the intermission texts)

Heh, when you said megawad, I natually assumed that you meant 30 maps.

Depending on the theme there's quite a bit you can do. Most of the following will be obvious and some may be wrong, my apologies:

Windows to other areas - if you've a dull corridor try giving the player a sneak peak of the sections to come. This can forwarn the player of a battle or simply provide a better 'sense of place' (ie not just room, corridor, room)

Windows for lighting - If the corridor is on the outskirts or near the highest parts of the map use the sky to light your corridor. As you go deeper into the map use more articficial light sources (lamps, ceiling and wall lights etc)

Vary the lighting - Have some corridors at a moderate light level eg 176 with a small contrast between fully lit areas, and maybe some with sharp contrasts between lit and shadowed areas.

Vary height - Make the player cramped or give him lots of room, whatever you do tailor the fight to the situation.

Limit the length - Long corridors get dull quick regardless of detail. If possible join some rooms directly.

Textures - I know very little about this :)

Szymanski said:

Windows to other areas - if you've a dull corridor try giving the player a sneak peak of the sections to come. This can forwarn the player of a battle or simply provide a better 'sense of place' (ie not just room, corridor, room)

I try to use that a lot. It really helps the atmosphere and makes the map more beliveable. E1M1 (and most other maps of E1) is a great example for it.

Sometimes I use copy & paste in my levels, usually for symmetrical stuff or for prefab sections to quickly lay down a standard corridor. Thing to remember: you should only use it as quick means to set up a basic layout. After copying you should personalise this basic layout eg. by adding pipes, lights, broken stuff, consoles, crates, etc etc.

You should be able to insert a player blindly into any part of your map without the player getting confused on where exactly he is.

Ichor said:

Heh, when you said megawad, I natually assumed that you meant 30 maps.

But he didn't say megawad.

i did say megawad, in the subject title, heh. well i'm trying to think about how the monsterage and weaponage will develop throughout. so it might stretch to 20 small maps (again , there's intermission text after 20...). i did copy and paste map02 together from components of map01 but then the bits did grow windows, change shape etc. and the main core of that map is a different style completely (though not nearly on the scale of a red stone / tek base difference!). some good stuff so far, thanks, keep it coming, one day people will then be able to link back to this thread every time someone else asks :-)

BTW it's all a bit brown though at the mo due to use of tile/brick and wood textures... now are people going to get bored of brown real quick or are the changes in style per se gonna be ok... clearly 20 maps of "wood" would be v bad, heh. i suppose i'll just stick with it for a nother couple of maps then, as the player starts to get deeper into the complex start to change over...