Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This project was supposed to be a little more secretive until we had more to show, actually. Don't worry, the final product shouldn't suck. :)

Putting 3D floors and deep water in a crap level is like polishing a lump of shit, some people might be impressed, but its still a lump of shit

This screenshots are damn boring. It isn't enough to just put in some colored lightning some 3D floors and water floors and think, this wad gonna kicks ass.

Add more detail!

[DL]Ragnorok43 said:
[B]Just wanted everyone to know this wad is coming so get ready because its gonna kick ass.

Really, I hate to be like the other guys, completely killing Your motivation to finish this, but just because You said "its gonna kick ass" it has to be said-It's NOT gonna kick ass
(if it reamins undetailed like the shots show)

To be a bit more constructive: remember this is Doom, not Wolfenstein 3D. The engine is quite capable of having walls that aren't at 90 degree angles.

NiGHTMARE said:

To be a bit more constructive: remember this is Doom, not Wolfenstein 3D. The engine is quite capable of having walls that aren't at 90 degree angles.

*laughs*

Here's a tip: Don't listen to ShadowRunner anymore when it comes to mapmaking.

DooMBoy said:

Uh....

Needs more work, a lot more work.

Work and practice, but theory as well. I presume, Ragnarok, You haven't played much User made maps for Doom. You should, Doom much evolved in map making from what we had in 94, You will learn the power of beatiful architecture, trim, texture aligment, compscreens, faded lighting and diagonal walls (recomended are: simply check http://home13.inet.tele.dk/CNH/ and check out the "Best" section.
Well, Shadowrunner's maps actually didn't have too many 90 degree walls :-)

Needs more... stuff. Less 3D floors. 3D floors do not always == good map.

Needs more work. You guys obviously know how to use a map editor, so just keep at it.

Reduce the brightness of those colored sectors though. It looks REALLY horrible. Make them dimmer. It gives the impression that you're trying to force everyone to recognize that you can use colored lighting. Subtley colored lights work much better. I would also suggest against having different colors right next to each other, but I suppose that can depend on what's happening in the map.

Whoa, now, the guy may be new to mapping, but that doesn't mean he probably hasn't played his share of wads. We were all n00bs once. Don't judge the whole project based on his screenshots.

Um, BTW, this project was supposed to be more secretive until later so... maybe this could be locked or something? :-/

Well, it might be a good thing that the project was revealed now, since there can be some constructive criticism (I know I joked about how his maps reminded me of ShadowRunner's, but it was aimed more at ShadowRunner than this guy). Anyway, as for these maps, they do need more detail, but since they aren't even close to being finished yet, I can overlook that. However, the colored lighting in those last two screenshots has got to go. It may be useful in some areas and if used in a subtle manner, it would look a whole lot better. Disco type colored lighting effects simply look hideous, no matter what kind of map you're making. A good example would be that Mock 2 map Ultimate Doomer's made.

Ichor said:

(I know I joked about how his maps reminded me of ShadowRunner's, but it was aimed more at ShadowRunner than this guy)

Shadowrunner's maps are bad? I wouldn't say so. In fact, i'd say the exact opposite. Here's a pic of one if you haven't seen it.

Ok, so he's getting better. Some of his earlier maps were, of course, quite bad, so that's a good sign.