Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

forget about it

at work i get an ungodly amout of people asking if a compaq or many of our HP laptops will be able to handle games like halo, doom III or half-life 2

simply put the answer if no!

first off most laptops are not at all made for any high preformance gameing. usally useing an intel or sis graphics card. second of all 90% of laptops cant be upgraded. however this IS changeing, i will cover that soon

also rigs like compaq and HP are mostly office stuff. the CPU and graphics are optimized for batery life and low heat. very few are made for high preformance graphics. if you want a gaming rig then build one your self.

PCI express, this is due out this month, if it is not already out. this will allow you to upgrade many things on a laptop, just like a PCMCIA card. however it will be a few more months before you start seeing it on laptops in places like best buy or systems made by compaq or HP

aviod compaq and HP laptops, even with PCI express or an ATI/Nvidia card. these systems suck, period.

if you already got a laptop for these games, then dont hold your breath. unless you know exaclty what you where getting and needed. yes there are laptops that may run the game but most will not give you all the cool effects and full speed the game has to offer.

simply put wait for PCI express or build a desktop. i am sure rigs like alienware will be one of the first to have PCI express. i have never owned an alien ware, and have heard both good and bad about them.

we dont have advent systems at work, just compaq, HP, sony, toshiba and E-machiens.

i am talking about laptops. if it where easy to build one my self, i would. i have rebuilt them for a few years now. but tracking down parts can be a bitch, and making them fit is another bitch.

none of the systems at work would provide a good gaming experince. yes a few could run the game, but i am not sure how well.

As inconceivable as it is to modify laptops, I'm pretty sure it'll be the next internet fad. Of course, it won't be an attractive pasttime until 5.1 headphones become somewhat of a standard, as well as a bit more modularity in the components.

Who knows if a laptop can handle modern games? I know somebody who had a 1 Ghz laptop running Windows 2000 Server, and he couldn't run Quake 2 worth crap (software mode, probably around 5-10 FPS and random crashes)

even if it has the CPU (in Mhz) RAM and graphics that still is not a sure thing. laptop manufactures often limit hardware and or the hardware is dumbed down to save power and to produce less heat. also drivers can be different. example being my brother's laptop. you can only use dell drivers for the graphics card, it is a radeon 7500. however they do somthing that prevent you from useing radeon drivers. i am sure here is a way around it but i never really messed with it surprisngly he can run newer games, postal 2 runs well.

also laptop cards might remove features from the graphics card being used, these features would be found in the normal desktop model but are missing in a laptop modle.

however laptops are getting more powerful, some just almost as powerful as their desktop counterpart.

another example of tricky hardware
my compaq presario 700US

at one point there was a rather nasty bug in the BIOS, this would 'forget' or screw up the boot password. though i fixed this nasty bug i had to first clear the CMOS. this ment taking the laptop completly apart. i noted the CPU. athlon 4 is a mobile CPU that was in that model. however it turned out to be a underclocked CPU the laptop is rated at 1.2 Ghz this CPU was 1.4Ghz. techinacly i can use an athlonXP or duron in the laptop. i would however need a better cooling system.

Yes, graphics cards specifically are an area in which laptops have to improve. But then, they're not ideal for a gaming environment to begin with... most people just get the box with the huge-ass speakers and the 21" monitor.

Stealthy Ivan said:

The best gaming machine is the one you build your self.
I hate facotry systems...

Yes same here..build it yourself. or it anit worth a fuck...

I would never use a laptop for DOOM 3. It would probably explode. Besides, laptops are for book keeping, communication, and other job-related things. It can be used for personal reasons too but nothing like gaming.