Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scabbed Angel

Doom ³: The Movie

Mortal Kombat was made a while ago too so it was gonna suck with their graphics anyways. But ya, a lot of game-to-movie conversions suck, actually I believe GamePro wrote a whole section in their magazine this month about this very issue.

Mortal Kombat
Resident Evil
Final Fantasy
House of the Dead

*I'm sure there are more but I can't think of any other Game-Movie conversions.

If you ask me Mortal Kombat is the best video game movie so far out of all of them(Minus Total Anihilation). The movie is corny, and so is it's theme song, but the move is still the most accurate.

Personally I think people just expect way too much from movies anymore, seriously. I was just thinking about it and I really think that's the problem. People are so hard up and desperate for entertainment that unless it's perfect they bitch and whine about a perfectly good movie. Even if Doom 3 is a good movie, we're still going to have fanboys and people who will pick at every little damn thing they didn't like about it or didn't think it was faithful to the storyline in Doom 3. People just don't seem to realize that movies could be so much worse than what they really are.

Melfice said:

Actually I think the first Mortal Kombat film was probably the best and most successful attempt at a video-game-to-theatrical-movie ever. I loved it, especially since the original MK game didn't have a story at all, all there was there was that you're supposed to defeat Shang Tsung, and that was that. They did an excellent job of basically making up their own story line using the original characters, imo. The 2nd one...ugh, if you're talking about the 2nd one...I wish it didn't exist.

Yes, it's the best game-to-film movie I've seen, but it's still cheesy as Hell.

Let me put it this way, if you go to a gas station, give the clerk a scalpal and ask him to perform surgery on someone, it's likely that he won't know exactly what to do and won't do that good a job. It's the same as if you gave a movie company a game and told them to make a movie out of it. It's a completely different industry and they don't know exactly what the gamers want to see.

Well, there is probably a 1/50 chance that they'd make a good game-to-movie movie. Unless they had a real die-hard gamer or a real game maker helping them in the movie. Like I said, it's a completely different industry. It's like asking "Cheerios" to start making cars.

Your analogies really suck. I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. You seem to think game-to-movie conversions are for the benifit of "die- hard gamers," well that's about 1/100000th true. It's called name recognition, that leads to ticket sales which leads to profit. I don't think many producers/directors give a shit about making a truly great movie from a game, rather just good enough so they can make $10 off of you. And you're right, it's a completely different industry, and the movie industry knows how to attract all kinds of people, not just gamers, so the logic I think you're using is pointless.

I actually DO know what I am talking about. This isn't the first time I have seen this kindof thread before and unlike you, I've done my homework on the subject. As for the analogy, it's not really mine, if you recall I said GamePro did a big section in their latest issue concerning this exact subject and it's actually their analogy.

And actually, the movies are more recognized by the gamers because they understand where the movie is coming from. A Mortal kombat fan would be more inclined to see the movie than someone who has never heard of MK before. So actually, their main audience is usually the people who have played the game themselves whether the producers want it to or not.

Something also that you don't realize is that most of these "game to movie" conversions, are usually sponsored by the companies themselves. So this means that the companies won't let Hollywood ruin their game's good name otherwise it could effect their business sales. Unfortunately though, no matter how careful the companies are, people still won't like the movie and people will. It's the same for any movie, the only difference is, is that the audience has something to compare the movie to. So the logic I am using, is not "meaningless" and it is rude of you to say so when you yourself are ignorant to the subject.

Btw, the only people who will "recognize" the film ARE the gamers. LIke I said, the gamers are the only ones who really know where the movie is coming from and what the general story line will be about. Resident Evil for instance, people who played teh game already knew it would be about the Umbrella Corp and Zombies.

S1lent said:

I actually DO know what I am talking about. This isn't the first time I have seen this kindof thread before and unlike you, I've done my homework on the subject. As for the analogy, it's not really mine, if you recall I said GamePro did a big section in their latest issue concerning this exact subject and it's actually their analogy.

And actually, the movies are more recognized by the gamers because they understand where the movie is coming from. A Mortal kombat fan would be more inclined to see the movie than someone who has never heard of MK before. So actually, their main audience is usually the people who have played the game themselves whether the producers want it to or not.

Something also that you don't realize is that most of these "game to movie" conversions, are usually sponsored by the companies themselves. So this means that the companies won't let Hollywood ruin their game's good name otherwise it could effect their business sales. Unfortunately though, no matter how careful the companies are, people still won't like the movie and people will. It's the same for any movie, the only difference is, is that the audience has something to compare the movie to. So the logic I am using, is not "meaningless" and it is rude of you to say so when you yourself are ignorant to the subject.

Btw, the only people who will "recognize" the film ARE the gamers. LIke I said, the gamers are the only ones who really know where the movie is coming from and what the general story line will be about. Resident Evil for instance, people who played teh game already knew it would be about the Umbrella Corp and Zombies.

you just couldn't be more wrong. First off..if you are going to use shitty analogies, cite them instead of bitching later. secondly, I think a person would be more likely to see a "game" movie had they never played the game, back to i.e. MK. I would much rather go see a movie about a deathmatch tournament that was a game i'd never played than go see a movie about a game i own and can just sit at home and play rather than watching overpaid nimrods in hollywood try to act the part. On the comparison basis, you are still completely wrong since there are so many differnet factors regarding a movie and a game that it is still comparing apples and oranges. What was the last game you played that you thought the acting could have been better? or they didnt have the $$ for better special FX. How about the last movie that was released that you couldn't watch to its potential b/c the theatre couldn't handle the requirements. Furthermore, who cares who the people are who will recognize the film, b/c those ppl buying tickets will never be enough to make a profit off of. Most people will generally become aware of the game following a movie debut.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life. Please give me a minute to try and stop my eyes from hurting to bad.

S1lent said:

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life. Please give me a minute to try and stop my eyes from hurting to bad.

really...point out where

InfraRed said:

Stuff

Well said. Unlike the post above yours, you seem to have used your knowledge to produce well thought out observations, as opposed to ill-conceived made-up mind diarhea.

Silent, your arguments just don't make sense. For instance, you seem to think the only people who have ever heard of MK are the people who play it, and they're the only ones who'll see and even understand this movie. That is garbage. Same holds true for most movies, just look at RE or Mario. Another thing you don't understand is any publicity is good publicity. Mario was a fucking terrible movie, and using your logic this movie should have destroyed the Mario franchise. And lastly, you think everyone will research a movie before they buy a ticket for it, uh-huh... Your homework grade is an F, and on top of that you freely admit you plagiarized gamepro. Idiot.

jetflock said:

batman could kill superman!

batman is cooler than superman, but i think superman would kick batmans ass, even thought I hate superman.

it is rude of you to say so when you yourself are ignorant to the subject.

HA! Read all of what you said again and answer this; Are you blushing?

[jerk mode]You have a point. I watched Resident Evil in the cinema and I was like; 'Whoa! I recognise this! It's like that game for PS Resident Evil. Who'd 'a thunk it!'[/jerk mode]

Movies tend to explain their story line, this is what all good movies in my experience do, so that the entire audience have the benefit of knowing what is going on. I had never played Mortal Combat until I saw the movie. I had never played Resident Evil until I saw the movie. I still knew what was going on and where it was coming from. So explain...

If I have misenterpreted your theory please tell me where I got it wrong.

I don' think it matters whether the filmmaker is a fan/gamer or not, but he should primarily be interested in doing a good movie rather than just cashing in - somehow, I don't really think that's likely.

Oh and please quit the damn mudflinging - I'm tired of watching insults fly. I can hardly see/make sense of the argumentation because the insults steal the spotlight.

I just saw Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the federation.

The movie was somehow good, but it lacked of the basic things like realistic weapons (WTF with those blue flashes) and swarms of enemies taking over the troops.

But it made me remind of Doom...

I liked the idea of being stranded and the troops looking like hell. Capt. Dax was a good Doom marine-type of soldier. He didn't have cheesy lines (well, not to many) and he was a hell of a good solider.

Any comments?

MARKET RESEARCH kiddies. Movies are made for profit. They will appeal to a "target audience" not YOU. Sadly. Mainstream movies suck for a reason. The 80's were the last period of decent film making as far as these kinda movies are concerned. In a perfect world, Sam Raimi would be directing an H.R. Gieger(spelling?) designed Doom World full of Return of the jedi-esque(in creation) monsters.
Nowadays its cache phrases- WWF actors, and dime a dozen cgi. WE NEED A REVOLUTION!

I disagree with that nostalgic perspective. I've seen some decent movies lately and a lot of stuff in the 80s was crap too.

S1lent said:

Mortal Kombat was made a while ago too so it was gonna suck with their graphics anyways. But ya, a lot of game-to-movie conversions suck, actually I believe GamePro wrote a whole section in their magazine this month about this very issue.

Mortal Kombat
Resident Evil
Final Fantasy
House of the Dead

*I'm sure there are more but I can't think of any other Game-Movie conversions.

Mario Bros. was one of the most terrible movies ever. :(

Well, hopefully they will go for R now. It would be really hard to make a game like Doom (3) into a PG-13 movie.

Yes, I really think it would be made best to fit the game if it was R rated. I remember Doom 2 was rated Mature and that was for people over 17 I think...
Mortal Kombat was the first "good" game-movie conversion, but yet it sitll could of been better.. the second was just awful.
Resident Evil was better than MK, and still is a good flick in my opinion.
As for Starship Troopers 2?? I loved the first one, but what the hell went wrong with the sequel... just terrible.

Skeletor said:

batman is cooler than superman, but i think superman would kick batmans ass, even thought I hate superman.

Read Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns."

You might be pleasantly surprised.

I was.

Prime said:

Read Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns."

You might be pleasantly surprised.

I was.

Classic.

All I have to say is that the movie better be rated R at the very least (and yes, there are worse ratings than "R").

If the Matrix movies are rated R, I would be the DOOM movie will be. You know...

What do you mean? The entire point of doom is killing demons, that can get pretty messy you know. Especially if a whole movie is based on that premise.