Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrew316

Doom Legacy question

I'm making some new levels based on the doom wad. I'm using Doom Builder and I'm using the doomlegacy.exe file to test out the map and it works fine. But when I open up Doom Legacy directly and try to run my map from there, it tells me that I'm only allowed to use doom.wad, doom2.wad, etc, etc.

So do I have to rename my wad to doom.wad or is there another way to use Doom Legacy without using an originalgame.wad?

Thank you,
Andrew

I tried dragging and dropping and it still says that it won't run because it's not an original game wad.

Andrew

you have to have doom or doom2 as your iwad. But to play your PWAD you must select it as an 'Additional File' uder the 'Single map..' part of the launcher.

PumpkinSmasher said:

you have to have doom or doom2 as your iwad. But to play your PWAD you must select it as an 'Additional File' uder the 'Single map..' part of the launcher.

I tried that and it worked but the gameplay was kind of choppy. I don't know if it's how I made the map or what. I tried playing it under zDoom instead of Legacy and it gave me a lump error. Can anyone recommend any other program to try to run this wad?

Andrew

Presumably the differences you're experiencing when running Legacy from the launcher as opposed to the command line are because the settings are different in the two cases (resolution, renderer, etc.). You can change these in both cases (command line options; launcher options).

Legacy's OpenGL mode won't run well unless your graphics card is suitable, and Legacy's software mode tends to be a bit slow compared to other software renderers (that's my experience, and I don't think it's unique). If you want to persist with Legacy in software mode, try reducing your resolution. Note that you can change between renderers in the Legacy Launcher by clicking on the "Setup" button.

Zdoom tends to be one of the more "forgiving" ports, so if that gives you an error then it sounds like you might have used some Legacy-specific features, or there is a serious error that for some reason Legacy isn't bothered by. Anyway, other ports you could try include jDoom (requires a good graphics card), EDGE (also tends to be a bit slow though), Eternity and Prboom.

This thread should probably be in the Source Ports forum.

I changed the renderer from Software(Default) to OpenGL and now it works fine. Thank you.

And yes, I realized after the fact that this should have been in the Source Ports forum.

Andrew