Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Janderson

The Rock Show

Recommended Posts

I'm hosting the annual school rock show for my sixth form. I'm gonna be on stage with punks, hardcore metal heads, a cover band, an indie band and a band whose genre cannot be defined using conventional methods.

I need some tips for speaking in front of large audiences. I need some stuff to say which won't offend any genre playing. Can anyone help me out?

Share this post


Link to post

No, actually, pretend the audience isn't there. Once you get involved with reciting your lines, you'll almost forget that you're on stage.

Share this post


Link to post
wildweasel-r3000 said:

No, actually, pretend the audience isn't there. Once you get involved with reciting your lines, you'll almost forget that you're on stage.


Sometimes that's not so easy :P

Share this post


Link to post

I've emmceed quite a few things in my time. The best thing is to always just give the appearance of confidence in yourself, even if you are in fact shitting your pants. Just be yourself and have faith in your material. For your purposes, I'd recommend trying to find at least one thing you admire in each type of music, that is, if you want to be Mr. Nice on stage rather than Mr. Derogotory...

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks dudes.

How do audiences feel about their interaction? Is there anything I can do to help the crowd interact in any other way than the simple; 'Are you ready to rock?'..."Meh"
What is the best way to pump up the crowd?

Share this post


Link to post

Just remember, the amount of concern and anxiety you have is much greater than that of the audience in regards to your speech. Picture whenever you see someone making a speech in the same regard... does it really matter all that much to you? Your speech will also matter that little to the audience. Hope that helps, good luck.

Share this post


Link to post

Have strong lights pointing at you, throws off your contrast balance, and your capacity to actually see faces in the crowd.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I have to admit I'm a constant victim of stage fright. A method I developed is to *dare* yourself to get nervous. It's all adrenalin, anyway. Once you're nervous enough, you just get worked up into a frenzy and then, at one point, you can't even wait to get on stage.

As far as pleasing the crowd, well... hope your jokes don't suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Zaldron said:

Have strong lights pointing at you, throws off your contrast balance, and your capacity to actually see faces in the crowd.


I love that when I'm playing solos. Makes me feel much more comfortable

Share this post


Link to post
Numbermind said:

Yeah, I have to admit I'm a constant victim of stage fright. A method I developed is to *dare* yourself to get nervous. It's all adrenalin, anyway. Once you're nervous enough, you just get worked up into a frenzy and then, at one point, you can't even wait to get on stage.

Same here.

Share this post


Link to post

Me too, I'm the shittiest public speaker ever. What's worked best for me is rehearsing the material thoroughly. I don't do well if I have to make stuff up on the spot. Once you get going you settle in and kinda start enjoying it.

Share this post


Link to post

Do some stand-up. Then dive into the crowd. It's worked the 0 times I've MCed.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×