Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

jDRP 1.1 promo image!

Straight from Dani's post on NewDoom. Do note the face is ANIMATED and that's at the peak of his snarl.

dude...
a reason to use jdoom again.
YAY!!1
awesome md2 dude..
exactly what an imp should look like.

i downloaded jdoom and that jdrp last night just because that imp looks sweet. it looked like shit. nothing like the image above.

But it says "coming soon." So you downloaded an older version.

For any moron who can't read the jDRP website: IT'S 1.0 YOU DOWNLOADED, MORON. 1.1 ISN'T FINISHED YET. Please, idiots, if you cannot understand the concept of version numbers remove yourself from your computer and do something that might benefit you, like going back to ninth grade.

I can't believe he actually gave you a problem over the unfinished imp in 1.0 when it CLEARLY says 1. comming soon and 2. 1.1. God, people are IDIOTS.

I can't say I like it too much stylistically, but it looks much better than the old one even though it apparently has around the same amount of polys. I think the imp is quite a hard character to make into a decent model anyway...

It's good that he's going to touch up the area around the spikes, since they do look a little stuck on at the moment.

Oh No Its Kyle said:

God, people are IDIOTS.

You're the best example.

Ahem, the image looks nice. It's quite interesting what can be done with MD2 models and hi-res skins. It's even anatomically correct. Great model.

Oh No Its Kyle said:

Uh, goats? And deer?

sorta but its not the same. i don't think so anyway. the best thing i can think of would be a rino's horn, seeing as how they don't have fur. but we are dealing with a huminiod character, so i doubt anything in the natural kingdom will work well as a guidline.

...what is this? national geographic forum? we gotta stop this. :D

Sorry but I'm affraid Fredrik == lame;

A novel idea - why not try and tell me why it's lame or a least dignify me with more than your one word insightfull review.

Some people think Imps are reptilian. Some think they are covered in fur. Some think they're supposed to look cute!?...

The horns are another example. In my opinion the horns grew outta the Imps flesh when it was turned into an Imp from what ever it was before. Why would something have natural horns on it's nipples? Also natural horns wouldn't look right IMO.

I CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE. So what I'm trying to do is come up with a set of models that will appeal to most peoples interpretations of these monsters.

Also you can't make a better model without increasing the number of polys which currently cannot be done. Atm I'm using around 700 or less which considering your average character model in other games is around 2500 or more. Also don't forget that it's md2. No skeletal animation no bump/normals or anything else fancy like that.

Stylistically I'm aiming for Doom/Hellraiser cross as I believe it'll yield the best results given the subject matter and overly simple character designs.

What style would you have prefered ToXiCFLUFF?

DaniJ said:

What style would you have prefered ToXiCFLUFF?

Heh, don't bother with the crazy caps next time Dani - they're just a habitual leftover from being 12.

Anyway, it's a difficult question to answer. But it ties in with my previous comment - I don't think they are a design which is too easy to capture in a model. A lot of the detail is lost in the pixellation, and since they are fundamentally quite a generic biped (to my eyes at least) anyway, there's a lot to interpret in bringing it to a format with higher fidelity.

I think the body looks really close to the sprite, from what I can see there. I like the body (apart from the spikes which look stuck on rather than grown through, to me) a lot, but I'd of made the face more angular and scary. The original model doesn't really suggest a very scary visage to me, but I think it would be an improvement if it was - and closer to what id would have done with more pixels.

But that's why it's hard. You're working with a blocky sprite, filling in the gaps with your own ideas. You could stick as close to the sprite as possible, or you could apply what you see as improvements. Not everyone would be happy either way.

Dani, that model looks absolutely wonderful. I commend you on the work you did solely on the skin itself, and I can't wait to see what else you've done.

Are you redoing all the models for 1.1?

I've redone all the HUD models, all the item pickups, all the decor objects and all the projectiles. Four of the monsters are new from scratch and the others have had new UVW's and have been re skinned. Theres also a boat load of new particle fx, explosions, vapour tails and gore fx.

For 1.2 I plan on doing the rest of the monsters from scratch.

DaniJ said:

I've redone all the HUD models, all the item pickups, all the decor objects and all the projectiles. Four of the monsters are new from scratch and the others have had new UVW's and have been re skinned. Theres also a boat load of new particle fx, explosions, vapour tails and gore fx.

For 1.2 I plan on doing the rest of the monsters from scratch.

O_o

actually most of the models that have already been redone (such as the ssg, chaingun, rl, and plasma rifle) look totally badass.

That was taken a while back when I was still working on the HUD hands model (so the hand is missing in the above shot).
Also the skin on the plasma rifle has been vastly improved since then.

dude...

btw, was the fact that plasma blasts are little spheres a rescource-saving technique that id came up with?

what im asking is what the plasma guns shots are REALLY supposed to look like. Im thinking beams and stuph.