Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shamino

Communication in multiplayer

I wonder how one will be able to communicate with his/her partner during a 2vs2 deathmatch game. I think it would be cool if you can use headsets instead of typing a message on the screen. Sometimes you have something you want to say to your teammate, but you don't want to stop and type because you might get killed.

TeamSpeak 2 or Ventrilo. Roger Wilco has WAY too many bugs and compadability problems.

Tetzlaff: There are only so many keybinds you can make before your keyboard is filled up...and you never know what kind of tactics you might see the other team do, like coming in through a manhole of a vent - how can you expect that and send off a bind?

I chat when I'm dead, or when nobody is in the proximity.

Communicating in Doom 3 should be no more difficult than communicating in an fairly intense CTF or Team Fortress game.

wildweasel-r3000 said:

Tetzlaff: There are only so many keybinds you can make before your keyboard is filled up...and you never know what kind of tactics you might see the other team do, like coming in through a manhole of a vent - how can you expect that and send off a bind?

I´m used to message keybindings (combined with radio wavs) in Threewave CTF, it works pretty well.

If an enemy is entering in a certain area, you use a bind like "incoming enemy at $L", then $L is displaying the target_location name of that specific room / area, so everyone knows which entrance is used by the opponent.

Real voice communication like Teamspeak is of course more comfortable, but not necessarely better for team games then the disciplined and consise key bind communication.

I just type messages when I can't say them. It's good practice and the tension of having to stop and risk getting shot speeds me up too.

I guess in Doom3 its not even that critical to stop up. There should be enough dark corners to hide for a moment. We are not talking about Q3 or UT where you are nearly instantly dead when you stop moving.
And I suppose the Maps will be pretty large. Well, as long as there are only running 4 guys around.
And as already pointed out before, its no problem to use TS or ventrilo for voice communication. At least if you are on DSL and it even works pretty well with ISDN if you use the right codec.

Revenant! said:

We are not talking about Q3 or UT where you are nearly instantly dead when you stop moving.

'Chat-fragging' does get a little annoying, I know that now and again I personally like to chat while playing a game.

I think DOOM 3 would have built in voice communication. I mean, the servers only have a handful of people in them and it IS deathmatch so it's not like they'd be hiding anything from eachother like in a "team-based" game.

I use the term "team-based" lightly.

There is no problem for UT2004, they use voice chat and there are like 16 people sometimes talking but you can just join different channels. I just hope that the doom mp has team dm.

i am sure doom III will have built in voice support. something tells me you will not need an external program.

i hope that DOOM3 does have built in voice chat, because i've never heard of something like Roger Wilco or a similar program for Mac OS X

:(

it's very annoying when I get fragged whilst trying to communicate

Sephiroth said:

i am sure doom III will have built in voice support. something tells me you will not need an external program.

That's good to know.