Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Coopersville

Demon Draw-age

http://www.geocities.com/zoner_triad/demon.jpg

A generic drawing of a demon I did because I felt like it. I made its head smaller and gave it longer sprinting legs.

Looks fairly good; you've got the build right (when upright). Show us some depth and shading, and i'll throw in more of a comment. For the time being, nice work :)

The demon looks kinda tired, but I like his shape - wish he was shaded though.
I like the musculature on his legs in particular.

dsm said:

The demon looks kinda tired, but I like his shape - wish he was shaded though.
I like the musculature on his legs in particular.

You obviously don't know much about anatomy.

Silverwyvern said:

It is actually quite faithful to the pink demon as it appears in the game so Adrian Carmack is actually the guy to blame.

He had quite a fascination for inverted leg joints it appears.

Little Faith said:

It is actually quite faithful to the pink demon as it appears in the game so Adrian Carmack is actually the guy to blame.

He had quite a fascination for inverted leg joints it appears.

Nope. the joints look fine. It's a cute little drawing actually. It's the 'musculature' that looks kinda funny.. like.. random bumps.

I normally wouldn't say anything, but there was a comment of how good the muscles were, and I had to disagree.

Silverwyvern said:

My comment was not anatomy-related - I just said I liked them. Sheesh, does everything have to be fucking realistic? Can't things just look..oh I dunno.. interesting?

Oh yes, and who says demons are/have to be anatomically correct?

Calm down.

dsm said:

My comment was not anatomy-related - I just said I liked them. Sheesh, does everything have to be fucking realistic? Can't things just look..oh I dunno.. interesting?

Oh yes, and who says demons are/have to be anatomically correct?

Calm down.

Last I checked, muscles were part of general anatomy... Just because you're not experienced enough to understand muscles, doesn't mean you can make them up and expect other people not to see the mistake.

A trained eye sees it... and it looks bad.

You have to learn to take criticism properly if you plan to grow as an artist.

Heh. When I was drawing the legs, I was thinking of an old post where someone got flamed because their muscle arrangment wasn't 'anatomically correct'. I never considered demon anatomy to be bounded by that. I don't like the muscle job that came out in its left shin, so I partly agree.

Anatomy is my topic isn't it? (probably need to whip out my burn hogarth book for revision though)

The only anatomy flaw i see is in the legs. It's a bit off on the right leg and the muscles of the left leg doesn't match. The focus i still on the upper torso, and the expression on the demon's face, so it may not seems as significant.

Besides it's a demon. It doesn't have to proportionate or inherit normal anatomy (if that's the appropriate phrase). It could be pretty fucked up if the artist wanted.

BlueSonnet said:

Anatomy is my topic isn't it? (probably need to whip out my burn hogarth book for revision though)

The only anatomy flaw i see is in the legs. It's a bit off on the right leg and the muscles of the left leg doesn't match. The focus i still on the upper torso, and the expression on the demon's face, so it may not seems as significant.

Besides it's a demon. It doesn't have to proportionate or inherit normal anatomy (if that's the appropriate phrase). It could be pretty fucked up if the artist wanted.

*gives up on the lot of you.

Looks pretty cool. A bit more shading would be better and try not to make him look so tired. :)

BlueSonnet said:

Yeah, but it helps to make it look as though it *could* be real. The musculature drawn just looks geometrically wrong - muscles don't occur as bumps in random places!
The drawing looks good on a whole, these are just issues that need to be worked on; i wouldn't rank it high on a 'finished piece' scale, but as a practice sketch in build-up to a better drawing then yeah, it's fairly good.

Ok i've given it one last look. I've never denied that putting muscles and lumps in funny places is not what makes the best of pics. On a second glance the upper torso isn't as i good as i thought (i suppose). I guess i just kinda feel sorry for cooperville with everyone beating the shit out of his pic with criticisms, especially for a basic pic that's all.

Coopersville said:

Both our custom titles start with "Here Comes..." BlueSonnet :)

You'll never guess where mine comes from. Heh heh.

Don't get me wrong - i don't mean to bash! Just trying to criticise constructively. As i said before, Coop's pic is a good - it retains the classic look of da pinky. But if an artist of any kind wants to improve, then why not make suggestions? Then again, that's just me.

In the end, though, it's down to how he wants it to look, and no amount of suggestions - or even complaints - can change that.

I don't mind the constructive criticism. Like I said, it's just some ten minute draw up I did because I felt like it. I hadn't really drawn the Demon before.

If it was something else, say, The Manga Doom Demon I've been promising BlueSonnet for a year, then I might have put some more effort into it.

I barely refrained myseld from posting, 'It's just standing there...' ;)

I said:

I guess i just kinda feel sorry for cooperville with everyone beating the shit out of his pic with criticisms

Damn did i really say that? Forgive me, i'm not in the best of moods at the moment. My exams are making me a bit edgy. :/ anyways

Heh. Did i hear something about mangadoom? Maybe i'll get back to work on that some day.