Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

MIDI Editors

You're asking the wrong question, really... You should be asking "What is the best tool for me?" to yourself. Look around and try 'em all.

You should just be asking which ones are free and then try them all because I took someones word for it and downloaded Jazzware and absolutely hated it.

I use jazzware for making drum only songs. I used Sweet Midi Player to change instruments, but now the trial is over and it won't save. Sweet Midi Player never really could make midis, only edit exsiting ones.

A not-free one is Logic Audio Platinum 5.xx.

Better than anything suggested here, and makes any music you want(not just midis).

However, it's a professional recording studio software package and costs a couple thousand.....

.....KazAa....(hint hint)

But then you'll have no reason to make midis, you'll make full-fledged orchestra and rock band and techno mp3's.

I use NoteWorthy Composer. It's free to make midi's, but they'll be butchered if you load them with it, unless you register it to save NWC files and convert them when you're done so they'll work. I found a way to get around this problem easily enough.

I used to use SMIDI.exe. Its simple and free. It uses a spread sheet format instead of notes (I can't read music). Its free and small in size. I have it if you want it.

For "good" editors I use Cakewalk Music Creator. I asked someone well known in the community what he used and then downloaded it off Kazaa. I think it was Mark Klem but I forget. You have much more control over patch bends and volume which is good if you like to use alot of cymbols but don't like them being louder then you kicks and whatnot. It has a learning curve and its very confusing at first.