Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is the shortest time recorded without cheating on Hanger? I've been curious since running thru without stopping besides the three doors and taking the begining shortcut thru the acid pool area has gotten me fifteen seconds but I know someone can do better than me.

I'm not sure. However, I do know that Woolie Wool completed it in 0:17.

http://www.doom2.net/compet-n/database/cn.cgi?map:udoom:11+2004:4
http://www.slimy.com/mirra/ep1.html

9 seconds is the record.

8 seconds has been done, but only as a built demo (constructed gametic by gametic in a text-editor, and then compiled). It's 0:08.97, and used strafe-50 while turning, so maybe 0:09 is in fact optimal.

Don't bother with the outdoor route - just go directly to the exit. You should be able to get a 0:11 without undue difficulty. (I've just made 7 casual attempts, and got two 0:12s and one 0:11.)

Ocelot has done it in 0:08 nomonsters.

It's easy to get 0:10 in a few attempts, but I've never managed to get 0:09 except with nomonsters.

Grazza said:

and used strafe-50 while turning, so maybe 0:09 is in fact optimal.

Again I think you're wrong about this. (And he even says in the text file the turns probably aren't perfect, which sounds familiar from my own experience building demos.) I'd prove you wrong but I don't have the time right now ;)

Hanger = TNT Map05

Hangar = DOOM E1M1

Fredrik said:

(And he even says in the text file the turns probably aren't perfect, which sounds familiar from my own experience building demos.)

I did say "maybe". My point is that this demo does not prove that 0:08 is possible.

You can do things with S50 while turning that you cannot do without it. You'll agree with that statement, surely?

Interesting... You mean you have a preferred direction or is it just a keyboard set-up issue? I think I have a preference for strafing right.

preferred direction... unfortunately. it's also a deathmatch weakness.
Makes Map19's trick harder for me too, but e4m3(for example) is easy.

I suppose you are speaking about strafe50 ?
In this case, yeah, many people use a key that can only strafe50 to one side. This is my case too, I can only strafe50 to the right.
But I eventually change it for some single map stuff, for movies I just keep to the right.

About e1m1-009, it is not very hard actually, I found lv01-005 much harder.

VinceDSS said:

I suppose you are speaking about strafe50 ?
In this case, yeah, many people use a key that can only strafe50 to one side. This is my case too, I can only strafe50 to the right.
But I eventually change it for some single map stuff, for movies I just keep to the right.

About e1m1-009, it is not very hard actually, I found lv01-005 much harder.

Feel like sharing the cfg?

If you are using doom2.exe you can do it easy through setup.exe

You just need to assign a single key to :
- turn right or left
- strafe on
this will be your "strafe50 key"

To activate your strafe50 at the same time :
- press your "strafe50 key"
- go forward
- strafe to the same side as your strafe50 key

for example is you use the regular WASD for moves and your "strafe50 key" is Alt and set up to go to the right :
at the same time press W (forward) ,D (strafe right) and Alt (strafe50 key)