Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
killer9

Doom 4?

Recommended Posts

Do you think id would make a Doom 4 if Doom 3 sold a lot better than expected? Oh yeah, and ignore my last thread about chasecam demos.

Share this post


Link to post

Well considering iD hasn't done an original game since Quake.. probably.

And by original game I mean the series. I can see in the next ten years iD releasing Quake 4-19, Doom 4-25, and possibly Return Once Again to Castle Wolfenstein.

Share this post


Link to post

If Doom4 will be to Doom3 what Doom2 was to Doom, a sequel build on the same engine, then it isnĀ“t unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post

However, the rest of the team will need something to do while JC works on the engine for their next game. I'd say we can expect an expansion pack at the very least.

Share this post


Link to post

John Carmack said in an interview in PCgamer that Doom 3 is a retelling of the original doom. Does that mean Udoom, or both Doom and Doom 2?

Share this post


Link to post
killer9 said:

John Carmack said in an interview in PCgamer that Doom 3 is a retelling of the original doom. Does that mean Udoom, or both Doom and Doom 2?

Ultimate Doom. Both included is VERY unlikely as it would take just too long to make enough levels to fit the bill.

And Id's next game is unrevealed thus far, though Id have said, quite simply, that their next game will not be a known Id franchise (Wolfenstein, Quake or Doom), but something altogether new.

As for a "Doom 4", I actually prefer that they retell Doom 2 in one or two mission packs - same engine, new maps, new textures (oh yeah!), new enemies and perhaps even new weapons. Not to mention new ways to use the physics, the scripted events and a new storyline to add to the 'original' Doom 3 storyline.

Oh yeah, that'd rock.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh yeah, and dsm, I read your Doom storyline that you wrote. That was kickass. You should make a prequel, one about what happened at phobos.

Share this post


Link to post
NiGHTMARE said:

However, the rest of the team will need something to do while JC works on the engine for their next game. I'd say we can expect an expansion pack at the very least.


Id games have a habit of spawning mission packs and they're usually pretty good too, so I believe this is the most likely scenario after Doom 3's release.

Share this post


Link to post
BBG said:

Id games have a habit of spawning mission packs and they're usually pretty good too, so I believe this is the most likely scenario after Doom 3's release.


An expansion pack is inevitable. But remember we've still got Quake 4 to look forward to...

Share this post


Link to post

I think Doom 4 would be a new story, if not a remake of Doom 2....

But, I'm more concerned with Doom 3. I'll be worried about Doom 4 when I know it might actually happened until then. It's a fantasy.

Share this post


Link to post
DoomUK said:

An expansion pack is inevitable. But remember we've still got Quake 4 to look forward to...


Sadly, I've never played any of the quake games.

Share this post


Link to post
dsm said:

Ultimate Doom. Both included is VERY unlikely as it would take just too long to make enough levels to fit the bill.

Except the fact the game includes Doom 2 enemies. :/ I think it's going to be a mix of all of.

Share this post


Link to post
killer9 said:

Sadly, I've never played any of the quake games.


Neither have I. I don't even know the story of Quake, but i will still buy the game when it's released.

Share this post


Link to post
Shamino said:

Neither have I. I don't even know the story of Quake, but i will still buy the game when it's released.


Quake 1: Bad dude codenamed "Quake" starts attacking our world from an alternate dimension. You have to stop him.

Quake 2: The Stroggos, who are aliens, begin attacking our world and we send a massive army through their own dimensional hole to attack their own planet. The army gets shot down, you are one of the only survivors, and you have to stop the Stroggos.

Quake 3: The Vadrigar, who are mysterious god-like beings, have contructed the Arena Eternal, where the greatest fighters of all time (including the Doom guy, the Quake guy, and a few Quake 2 dudes) have to fight eternally.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Oh No Its Kyle said:

Except the fact the game includes Doom 2 enemies. :/ I think it's going to be a mix of all of.

Oh remaking Doom 1, but adding the Doom 2 enemies is perfectly 'ligit'. The story isn't any more "Doom 2" just because it has the enemies.

One could easily do a classic Doom retelling of Doom 1 but with all of Doom 2's enemies and the db shotgun included.

Having Doom 2 fit into Doom 3 along with the "Doom 1" setting is unlikely because it'd require too many levels for a single game or they'd have to considerably water down the parts so that the player rushes through Mars, Hell, Earth and then ends up in Hell again.
It'll leave the game one big confusing pile of shit with bad transitions.

Share this post


Link to post
NiGHTMARE said:

However, the rest of the team will need something to do while JC works on the engine for their next game. I'd say we can expect an expansion pack at the very least.

They've got plans for making a demo for Doom 3 after the game's release last I heard.

Share this post


Link to post

i can see them doing doom 4 at a later date. however if say doom III where to bomb or Id fell apart. also Id did not make RTCW, they did however help with it, and made the engine

Share this post


Link to post

Err, not exactly. You're a little right, but also wrong. Here's why (found this on planetquake.com):

..."An enemy codenamed Quake, is using his own slipgates to insert death squads inside our bases to kill, steal, and kidnap..."

Share this post


Link to post
Chris Hansen said:

Err, not exactly. You're a little right, but also wrong. Here's why (found this on planetquake.com):

..."An enemy codenamed Quake, is using his own slipgates to insert death squads inside our bases to kill, steal, and kidnap..."

Also, Quake is definitely referred to as a "he" later on during scrolling text sequences, though that might be in the mission packs.

Share this post


Link to post

I really don't think DOOM 3 will have an expansion pack. I think it will just have downloadable addons and stuff. Maybe some Multi-Player downloads and stuff. I think Doom 3 will be divided into chapters (like the original was) and they'll just keep releasing downloadable chapters.

Share this post


Link to post
killer9 said:

What's id's next project after Doom 3?

Maybe they will all retire cause there already rich.
And I'm sure no one wants to see another quake...

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×