Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Negatronica

my megawad progress

I've uploaded a demo of my megawad to DWS. I have around 30 maps in creation and about 20 maps that are "done". This is for any port. You can download the demo from the link below.

http://www.doomwadstation.suhost.com/schmitz.zip

If that doesn't work then just go to "http://members.lycos.co.uk/doomwads/" and scroll down till you see "hosted sites" on the right and in that section look for "shitbag's megawad." From there click "download the demo".

Progress has been made since I've uploaded this. Map 18 has been completely redone from scratch and map 28 has been finished. MIDIs will be deleted / switched around as I make more so if you here a really stupid one let me know and I'll make a mental note to change it.

If you play this please let me know of any bugs. Same with suggestions.

*NOTE*
The screenshots on that page are old and out of date. Most my maps look much better than what you see in those pics.

You should upload this to the archive - many more people would take a look at it then.

I know the rules say "No demos or partially completed megawads. If you're not done with it, it doesn't belong in an archive.", but Ty has clarified that this is really to discourage the uploading of half-done maps and unplayable unfinished junk.

I just don't want to put something unfinished in the archives. And besides I kind of want the finished version to be somewhat of a surprise. I know this thread defeats that purpose but by time the megawad is done this thread will be long forgotten.

Thanks for the progress report, I've been watching this wad closely. ;) I promise to play the demo as soon as possible!

Nice wad...Love the architecture. The difficulty was a bit harsh for me on HMP. Normally the first map doesn't slaughter me. heh. I lov challengeing wads. Good job man, can't wait for the final version.

I've now played a fair number of the new maps.

I love how this is turning out. Gameplay often reminds me of Plutonia (though generally tighter environments), and design often seems a bit like the MMs. Map32 has some lovely novelty ideas.

I'd suggest making some of the maps a bit more gentle for pistol starts on UV. As it is, in some cases you're running for your life and relying on luck a little bit more than most people like (I think).

MM2 was the inspiration for this project, I'm glad you see a similarity. As for toughness and pistol starts, my goal is to make every map playable from a pistol start. I want to make these maps more fun then they are hard.

If you can give me the map #'s your having trouble with I'll make sure I add some more ammo and health. Some of these maps I haven't even playtested all the way through. Keep in mind that many of the maps aren't completely finished and some I might even scratch altogether and start over (map 12).

I don't have time to do anything resembling playtesting right now (maybe in the future though).

Many of the maps are tightly balanced, and if you adopt the view that UV should mean ultraviolent (literally!), that's fine. However, I think 5, 11 and 17 cross the line, and stray into "unfair" territory. Even with fairly extensive map knowledge, health and ammo are in severe danger of running out. (17 is OK if you provoke as much infighting as possible near the start though.)

Note that I haven't gone the maps systematically.