Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S1lent

Why PSX?

I was just curious, why is the PSX version so great? If it's the same game, than why is there so much "hype" about it. I've heard people's favorite version of doom being the PSX version but I don't know why. Could someone fill me in please?

The reverent and imp noises gave me nightmares, there were a lot of fucked up birds where I use to live which used those noises.

EDIT: I only liked it better because I didn't need to use a keyboard.

The coloured lighting, the fire sky, the awesome sound FX (the pistol/chingun sound and the plasma rifle sounds in particular) the awesome music, and the fact that you could play it on the big screen TV in your lounge room.

But most of all: Unlike the N64 version, all the extra features didn't make it feel less doomy... quite the opposite in fact.

Long live the PSX!

Flaming sky, ofcourse, made a great hellish atmosphere.
Coloured lighitng! Really gave the game a new, modern feeling.
New sounds, nuff said.
Great atmosphere, that's obvious.
New animated textures, doh!
But all that is nothing when compared to the jawdropping, spine-chilling music. Those babies crying.... Truly unbelievable. Ave Elbryan for ripping the music.

No, but there is Console Doom:
http://dsv.newdoom.com/consoledoom.shtml
by Kaiser, which has all of the new PSX Levels in it, some D64 levels as well (a precursor of D64 TC). All of the sounds, the animated sky and there is a special music wad too. The one thing that is not implemented are the coloured sectors. Kaiser was going to make a Jdoom version with coloured sectors, but oh well..

stoned said:

So is there a PSX Doom TC already done for pc? :p

I already made a wad that changes all of the sounds to PSX sounds, so it wouldln't be too hard to do.

It's easy enough to make on on your own and it will run with all ports.

Yeah, it's called copying the sounds out of Consoledoom.wad and pasting them into your own wad! Uh.. Heh. Might wanna ask kaiser about that though.

Wasn't Esco the original person who ripped sounds from the Playstation version of Doom?

Job said:

I already made a wad that changes all of the sounds to PSX sounds, so it wouldln't be too hard to do.

Why to bother? PSX Doom contains a lot of (but not all) levels from PC Doom, yet slightly modified (coloured lighting, lesser size, less textures per a level) so it would mean ripping Id's originals, 'sides Kaiser's Consoledoom has all new unique (not any more, hehe) levels that appear on PSX Doom, but not on PC, like Twilight Descends, or Club Doom.

S1lent said:

I've heard people's favorite version of doom being the PSX version but I don't know why.

I liked it because of the long list of maps, the large variety of monsters, the fact that you could link two PlayStations to play Co-op or Deathmatch, and I loved most of the music tracks.
PSX Doom was also much better than the other console ports of the day, and still holds up pretty well against those that came after.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I'll definitely have to buy a copy now :-)

AgentSpork said:

Yeah, it's called copying the sounds out of Consoledoom.wad and pasting them into your own wad! Uh.. Heh. Might wanna ask kaiser about that though.

I don't see why. Kaiser's not the guy who made those sounds, Midway is.

Janderson said:

The reverent...

Revenant.

And yeah - the reason the PSX version is so awesome (mainly) is the amplified atmosphere it gives out.

Gone is the silly MIDI music, and replaced with REALLY tense atmospheric umm... not really music, but kind a really creepy drone. It out-does Quake I by a lot, if that gives you an idea.

Also - it has some kind of simulated colored lighting, the graphics are higher-res than the PC (not including source ports, of course), and in the Hell levels, the sky is filled with animated fire. It's pretty cool.

(the graphics are higher-res than the PC (not including source ports, of course)

Are you sure about that? I remmeber reading a while back that they had to cut down the detail and size of the sprites in order to make the game run at a decent speed. And i think the video resolution is slightly lower to, it seems to have a wider look to it.

But i would say that PSX doom is my favorite port to, even with whats left out, Its just the atmosphere. Someone should make a Source port out there emulating it, with better colored lighting (all current source ports dont look as good) and with the echoing sectors, that really added an effect. I think the best one so far at emulating it would be either legacy or jdoom, zdooms colored lighting isnt to nice.

Grimm said:

Lack o' Archvile is lame, if that dude's post is to be believed.

Yes, PSX Doom does lack the Arch-Vile. It ate up more resources compared to the other monsters, so it was cut.

The maps never seen on the PC version, the animated fire sky, and some of the ambient tracks, especially the ones played on Command Control, Deimos Lab, Hell Keep, and Pandemonium, were a good touch. Obviously, the PSX versions would have been better in some cases if it wasn't for memory/disc space issues.