Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

The /newstuff Chronicles #185

Well, we have an exciting line-up for you this week at the home of mapping called newstuff. A huge variety of stuff, including single player, deathmatch, a cross between both, capture the flag, demo maps, skins, Heretic and some of the best wads you'll see this year! There's also a very impressive showcase by a talented new-to-newstuff mapper, and 57 maps to boot. In short, the best newstuff for a long time - set aside plenty of time and enjoy this lot:

• LavaArenaRemix by Bloodskull
    373kb - Skulltag - DM - (img)
    A brick map set next to a load of lava falls. Detail is good, and some ZDoom features are used to enhance it. The layout is pretty DM-friendly, with no dead ends and easy access to all places. There's also a few teleporters to throw in some confusion to the opposition. Weapons are limited to everything except rockets and bfg, so expect a fearless fast-paced contest (encouraged by the speed metal tune playing in the background). Pretty good then.

• Black Void CTF by Mephisto
    295kb - Skulltag - DM - (img)
    Unsurprisingly, a CTF map set in a black void. It all looks weird as you'd expect, with the tech textures giving that space-like atmosphere. Unfortunately the areas are linked with teleporters, which kinda spoils the feel IMO (it would've been better if the platforms were all in the same area). There's only a small number of weapons and one rune, too. Could've been better.

• Waste Site by Pawel Zarczynski (NMN)
    322kb - source port - SP - (img) (img)
    A big remote techbase in the middle of a rocky place. Detail is excellent (both indoor and out) although there is a sense of deja-vu in the small passages (but then what else can you do in a map this big?). Gameplay is also excellent, but only if you're a keen berserker - you'll need it to deal with the countless hell knights within (and there isn't enough ammo to do it without). If not, you'll need to be a keen evader. Provided you do plenty of either action, the ammo balance is pretty good, and the weapons come gradually which makes things more interesting in the first half of the map. And your punching/evading habits won't go away, even when you get the ssg and rocket launcher. Health is a problem though, due to the risks of punching/evading together with the shotgunners in the base and the sneaky nature of some traps. But this is definitely one of the best single maps this year, but incredibly is beaten into fourth place due to the quality of this week's wads. So it gets an extra screenie instead.

• Tunnel by PumpkinSmasher
    61kb - Legacy - SP - (img)
    A silly wad for Legacy (so it can use a cfg file that screws up the settings), comprising of a tunnel with a ton of monsters and a head. The brick textures aren't as bad as the rest of the wad though.

• New World by Daniel
    1880kb - ZDoom/Legacy - SP - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Now this is something we haven't seen before, at least not of this magnitude. 7 maps long and using a custom texture set and a source port with jumping, this is an amazing outdoor wad with strong sense of location. The grey sky really creates a grim, cold outdoor feel (which will be improved if you play it with the windows open on a cold evening) as do the general theme of the textures. Various locations appear, including a church, castle, tower and city. There's also a mountain pass level with a definite touch of Unreal about it. The detail is pretty intricate indoors, with all the furniture present, and outdoors you get caves, broken rocks and rivers. Some neat secrets take advantage of the jumping, too. Gameplay-wise it's really good, too. From the early stages where you'll be taking on hordes of imps and demons with saws and small arms, to the later stages involving revenants and large monsters aplenty. There's also some neat set-pieces, including a tower-top battle, numerous chainsaw-fests and an almost HR-type finale. Ammo is pretty balanced, although a lot of sawing is required and you will end up with too much later on. Health seems on and off, with a shortage during the early maps (only to find big stashes at the end) and a mixed balance later on. But ignore the flaws, as this is a new, different adventure and is not to be missed by anyone! Wad of the week, and one of the year so far.

• Zdoom as Markmenu Shell by Mark Bowman
    79kb - ZDoom 1.* - n/a -
    It's that frontend thingy again. And this time it's got a wad in it, that requires an ancient version of ZDoom.

• Metro1 by Carlos Guariglia
    263kb - CDoom - SP - (img) (img)
    Another demo map showing off the features of the new CDoom port (if you don't know about it already, it's Boom with 3D floors and jumping) . Basically it's a Brazilian city with a rail system and a few buildings outside. It's a very impressive feat of engineering, as the whole thing is on at least two floors. However it looks awful - but then so would anything else in a 320x200-only dos port.

• Hell Keep by hobomaster22
    282kb - ZDoom - SP - (img)
    An interesting wood/metal gothic map. A dark atmosphere presides throughout, inspired by low lighting, a red sky and many ZDoom features. They are used well throughout, both in visual and gameplay. A fair spread of monsters are used, many to good effect and the map flows nicely as a result. Ammo and health are balanced nicely, but watch the health though. Pretty good map, really.

• Her Belisha Beacon Erased Till Forwards by Pablo Diccter
    242kb - doom.exe - SP - (img)
    One of those E4M1 bases from the usual source that we haven't had anything from for ages. Plenty of detail in every corner, but like the other maps in the series it's a bit too linear. Gameplay has the main feature of hardly any health (until later on) and the amount of shotgunners and the way the traps grab you doesn't bode well. Still, it is a Doom 1 map, therefore hard to get a challenge out of without fast monsters. But it's still a good example of how to detail confined techbases, and of course the nostalgia people will like it.

• Bullies by Snakebite (Sabbath)
    30kb - heretic.exe - SP - (img)
    A Heretic map. One that looks quite n00bish in design terms (ie. a lot of those basic castle rooms/passages) but plays better than it looks. All monsters except D'Sparil get at least one showing, and there isn't much in the way of powerups to help. There appears to be too much ammo, but this is actually deceptive. Overall nothing special, but worth it if you're a Heretic fan. If not, there's a Doom 2 version but this is nowhere near as good as the Heretic one.

• Daniel Level Serie 02 by Daniel
    1040kb - ZDoom/Legacy - SP/DM - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Now here's a new one. Apparently it's a deathmatch megawad, and this is reflected in the layout (no keys, all weapons and plenty of ammo, health and powerups, free-flowing layout) but each map is crammed with monsters in such a way that it presents a very good workout for pistol starters and demorunners alike. Each map has it's own battle, always difficult (some of them are very hard indeed) and always played at 100mph due to it's nature (ie. a mad dash to the weapons and the powerups then a mad dash around the battleground to kill everything). The maps themselves vary in theme and detail is usually low to average, but never above vanilla levels (even though a jumping source port is needed). But you won't have time to study it, as you'll be too busy charging about the place to stay one step ahead of death. If you're a skilled enough player you'll have a lot of fun with this (but make sure you pistol-start each map), and if you're a demorunner you'll have fun recording it too! A new outlook on single player action (30 bite-size battles in a deathmatch environment) and one that is too good to pass up on.

• Final Fray by r.e. lubbelinkhof
    88kb - doom2.exe - SP - (img)
    An icon of sin map. Only this time you get just 20 rockets, 1 megasphere, twice the monsters and you're firing from a lot further away. Do it quickly, before it's too late. The map looks good, btw. (and probably better than your average IoS, the only flaw is that F9 is your friend)

• ZDaemon CTF by AlexMax, Exl, Nestea, EarthQuake, SirTimberWolf and Snowbro
    1660kb - ZDaemon - DM - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    A compilation of CTF maps by a compilation of CTF mappers. Maps 11-20 in all, and with a variety of themes - including Quake, stone, Phobos, brick and a couple of weirder themes like a floating city and destruction bowl. Detail is pretty good throughout and impressive in some maps, with various Boom and ZDoom features (including a friend of mine, the spring). In fact, there are quite a few neat concepts in the maps, here. Weapons vary, but no BFG and there's usually some health around too. In short, an interesting and pretty good collection of maps that should provide some good CTF action.

• 125 Skins by Daniel
    8100kb - ZDoom/Legacy - SP -
    Put simply, a ton of skins for your favourite antique source port (in this case, ZDoom 1.22- and Legacy 1.28-). Designed for use with bots, so you can battle all kinds of famous figures. Worth grabbing if you like that sort of thing.

• Neo Doom by Daniel
    3310kb - ZDoom/Legacy - SP - (img) (img)
    Man, this guy is good. First outdoors, then classic-style and now a city. This one has awesome graphics - they're easily the best city textures since Batman Doom and together with the grey sky, create a grim urban atmosphere (perhaps spoiled a little by the bright open nature of the city). There's not that much detail inside the buildings, but again the textures do all the work like they do outside. There's a ton of new gameplay stuff added, too - new weapons, all of which have some power-happy upgrades (one of which is so cool it has to be seen to be believed) and new sprites, a few toughened enemies that really pose a threat and an almighty boss that also has to be seen to be believed. Sadly, there is an awful start to the challenge here - there are far too many zombies on the ground to start with, many of them wake up at once and there's no health, except for some that is dropped by enemies (not to mention that the pistol is more difficult to aim due to the left-sided sprite). Despite the large open nature of the city, there's nowhere to run and consequently you'll get very annoyed, particularly when you save right before one snipes you in the back (when will people learn that you can't dodge hitscan attacks?). Once you get some decent weapons and some health under you, things look up. And keep looking up the more you go through it. You'll have some great fun with the new weapons and battling some rather difficult enemies, although the boss is surprisingly easy to kill (possibly down to the excessive ammo which is built up gradually). But despite the early setback, this is a top wad not to be missed, and he even promises there's more to come! I can't wait...

yes, we are aware the shots for new world are missing

Jesus is that Daniel kid good. all of those maps by him whooped my ass in the screenshots! I wish more people played maps like that. (Dwango5 is a peice of shit, I don't see why people like it. Bunch of rehashed Doom 2 levels.)

I'm going to bug the piss out of the creator of the CTF map to release an uncut commerical free version because if you can't run THAT map on your computer, stop running a fucking 386! >_<

Just played through Her Belisha Beacon Erased Till Forwards by Pablo Diccter. Damn i love these base maps! Especially with surprise endings. ;)

btw, what is that small, weird looking area far outside to the down left of the actual level? There's some monsters and armor bonuses there but you can't even get there from anywhere? It doesn't seem to serve any purpose cos there is no teleport lines or anything special.
Just wondering, cos i opened the map in editor to find out how to get that blue armor ;) and noticed that strange area...

Holy shit...that new world wad is awesome. So is lava arena Remix. Good week this is.

boris said:

Black Void CTF: It used to be one map, as you can see on the screenshots at WIP, but apparently it ran rather slow on some systems.

Ya, and running the void maps in OpenGL make it run even slower.

There is a BFG in ZDCTFMP2. Look around in MAP12, there is a switch at the bottom of each base which opens a grate in the lava. The BFG is in the middle. It is impossible to survive, however, without a radiation suit, so make sure there is one down there before hitting the switch.

There is also an error in the text file. MAP17 was changed from a lava motif to a water motif at the last second, but the name did not change in the text flie as it did in the MAPINFO.

Also DO NOT JUMP OUT OF THE WINDOW IN THE CENTER ROOM IN MAP16 FOR ANY REASON (not a bug)

I played the ZDaemon stuff earlier this week myself. I particulary enjoyed "The Floating City". A good way to introduce me to ZDaemon IMO. Fast, frantic paced action. And it also made ET playing easier due to the sheer speed of play. Now I'm landing head shots from miles away.:D

neo doom plays okay.

i recognize textures and flats ganked from duke3d and shadow warrior, though.

Sorry about the mistakes, one of these days I'll learn how to not make any (sending it last thing at night may have something to do with it). Screenies are up and running now, although I'm sure you won't have any trouble deciding on whether to play it or not.

dethtoll said:

neo doom plays okay.

i recognize textures and flats ganked from duke3d and shadow warrior, though.

All the sprites and textures in neo doom are ripped from something. Still a good level.

I split Black Void CTF up, because you would get a bad framerate even on a 2,4Ghz computer. It's tested.

The Ultimate DooMer said:There's only a small number of weapons and one rune, too

It has 7 weapons (not counting fist and pistol) and two runes, actually.

drfrag said:

Hi, guys!
Hey, why haven't you reviewed the new version of THE HERESY?
May be you think it's bad without even looking at it.
Don't you think at least you should have a look at it?
It won't take you more than five minutes.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12585

/newstuff Chronicles (usually) doesn't review updates to WADs, TC's or the like.

Yes, but the original release was not reviewed.
This one is much simpler to install and very user friendly.

But it is still the same thing... again, the same thing. Most people - if not all people - are looking to play original work, and playing through heretic with doom graphics, textures, monsters and weapons doesnt really appeal to anyone. Well.. besides you...

Waste Site was great ( played through in Doomsday ) and it looked awesome. I would have prefered getting the rocket launcher a little sooner but hey I don't mind punching a few Hell Knights. Some very nice battles and quite varied gameplay.

I'm gonna go play through the others now. Good newstuff this week.

Thanks Dani. I really worked hard to get that map done and all and it seems releasing it was not such a bad idea at all. Maybe I will make some more. I forgot to credit Agentspork for uploading the thing to the archives too.

drfrag said:

This one is much simpler to install and very user friendly.

well, I must admit that your previous work "The Rebirth" is WAY SO MUCH BETTER than this :(

drfrag is not Björn Ostmann.

As I understand it (based on what it says in the text-file), Björn Ostmann's sole contributions to "The Heresy" are the winged baron and the title graphic.

drfrag said:

Well you're right there, as it was deathz0red (heh, new term there). So it ought to get at least a mention at some point, but it does do exactly what it says on the tin - so I'd imagine there wouldn't be too much to say about it. (and it's not my turn for a bit now)

Thanks for your reply.
You guys are doing the same they did at the zdoom forums, assuming
it's a crap without playing it. Now some people has tried it and they
like it. The conversion it's well done, i know it's hard to believe,
and the levels play differently in DOOM and play well.
People say it's fun, it's pretty much like if HERETIC had been
released as a DOOM episode. I hope the community won't miss it,
it would be a pity. And please don't laugh at me.
Björn is a team member, he's part of the project and of course
he likes THE HERESY a lot.
I don't claim it's original but should appeal to people which like
DOOM more than HERETIC. I like HERETIC too by the way. Regards.