Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ellmo

Texture and Patches manager - trouble

I'm using DeepSea for it, but when it comes to 550 and more texture or patches... just too trouble some. WinTex never worked proprely on my CPU, but It seems I'm gonna have to switch to it sooner or later.

Problem looks like this:
NMN provides me with dozens of new textures of most various types almost each time I get a mail from him. This makes less than 500 patches in just few moths.

I often forget the names of the previous set of textures; but it's understandable I'd like to sort those textures nad name them properly, so I have no porblem in finding them while editing the map.

I never used Wintex or Deutex before, so please tell me if it's easy to learn... or point an other Texture manager.

Ellmo, I'll try to name them so their names differ (sam sie gubie w tym stosie o_O), but I reccomend XWE I used many times and it proved to be very efficient and reliable. Managing Textures is very easy!

Nmn said:

Ellmo, I'll try to name them so their names differ (sam sie gubie w tym stosie o_O), but I reccomend XWE I used many times and it proved to be very efficient and reliable. Managing Textures is very easy!

yeah, XWE is good but it has some serious flaws. Too often scripts get completely fucked up in it (even if I never touch the script) and it really needs an undo function.

ellmo said:

WinTex never worked proprely on my CPU

I really doubt it's your CPU. Unless it's physically broken, but then not only Wintex would have problems :P

I think in this particular case the good old DeuTex with a text script file is by far the best solution. Any GUI tool will become too bothersome with such a high amount of resources.

There isn't really much to learn. You can see the format of the files by extracting an IWAD and rebuilding your own is as simple as:
[code]deutex -doom yourdoomdirectory -build yourtexturewad.wad

ellmo said:

I'm using DeepSea for it, but when it comes to 550 and more texture or patches... just too trouble some. WinTex never worked proprely on my CPU, but It seems I'm gonna have to switch to it sooner or later.

Problem looks like this:
NMN provides me with dozens of new textures of most various types almost each time I get a mail from him. This makes less than 500 patches in just few moths.

I often forget the names of the previous set of textures; but it's understandable I'd like to sort those textures nad name them properly, so I have no porblem in finding them while editing the map.

I never used Wintex or Deutex before, so please tell me if it's easy to learn... or point an other Texture manager.

Well, XWE is best for creating new textures (just a few clicks is all it takes, and it can do this to multiple patches) and DeePsea's lump fixing feature is the best thing for rearranging lumps en masse - WinTex is ok for moving entries but can be unreliable, and XWE is horrible at the matter (as it only lets you move one entry one place at a time).

For the renaming issue, DeePsea is the best - as XWE is a bit fiddlier with the issue (and you can't see both PNAMES and TEXTURE1 at once) and WinTex won't let you rename textures without adding any at the same time (it doesn't save unless new textures have been added).

Phew. Looks Like I'll stay with Deep, since I'm already very familiar with it's lump managing features.

Oh, and NMN, it's not a problem of having different names for those textures. To be more precise - it's a matter of having similar names, so I can navigate thorugh them more easily. You might not know yet, but all the textures for rone have "A" at the beggining, so I have them coming first in order when I browse the textures in ZETH. This gives only 7 letters left to come up with a proper name. I already have different names for textures, some are really similar, but I get so confused when I seek thorugh ABRIK and ABRICK... and some tex's are named AGRAYx, while others (also gray, and almost of the same type) AWALLx... I'm going to have to change it sooner or later.

Isn't there an option to turn browse only external resources in Zeth (I don't know, I use DB)?
Ellmo, why not edit the texture1 lumps and throw out all those Doom2 textures (if that is possible, I tested it with D64TC and it had nothing against).

Haven't ever tried any of those sollutions. But I became familiar with all those A-beggining textures, so that's the least important problem. I just need a tool to quickly rename Textures and Patches en masse - like The Ultimate Doomer said.

Well Ellmo, while I don't know of any tools to easily do what you want, you may have to rename the ones you really need to use by keyboard. With 500 textures, that would take some time. I'd probably find something that asks what how many items you want to rename, and set a number of 500. Example is below.

Name of set items:CustomTexture
Number of set items:1-500

CustomTexture1-500 would be renamed and you can easily upload knowning what they are named by.