Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JamesEightBitStar

"Good" Games you thought were crap.

Kind of a follow up to the "Crap games you actually liked" thread, except the opposite: Name games that were hugely successful or popularly considered good games that you personally thought were crap.

My vote would have to go to Donkey Kong Country for the SNES. Good graphics, but the gameplay was like a trimmed-down version of the Mario games. Also Star Fox.

Final Fantasy. Fucking horrible. All of them. And Chrono Trigger and Cross too. Also Ragnarok and Everquest.

EDIT: Oh, I think Chrono Trigger sucked simply because I couldn't beat it. I loved everything else. Chrono Cross was just retarded though.

Final Fantasy 10. To me, it was just a showcase of graphics and audio talent, nothing more. All my friends think I'm crazy for not loving the game.

Grazza said:

Wow. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Grand Theft Auto 3/Vice City and Goldeneye were insanely over-rated (I'm sure I saw others I agreed with as well).

Also Batman for the NES--everyone says this was one of the better Movie-based games, but it's so badly designed--one of the enemies in the game can only be defeated by MANIPULATING A GAME GLITCH rather than, say, doing anything that requires SKILL.

I also have to add Unreal Tournament. The entire concept was just stupid--a game where the Single Player mode is just a trainer because "The game is really meant for online deathmatching." One person I met once said that games like these are a rip-off because it feels like you're only getting half a game.

On that other thread a lot of people said Half Life and I must agree it was overrated but it doesn't belong here in my opinion. It wasn't crap, it was just over rated. I remember everyone telling me Half Life had this awesome AI where the enemies would actually think about how to get to you and would hide bodies and stuff and how the weapons aren't just lying around randomly like in Doom and stuff and I thought "Oh, cool, it's like a movie." Then I played it and found out 5% of that was true and it pissed me off so I didn't play it for about a year, then I started playing counterstrike. :/

Final Fantasy 10. I like the FF series but this one pissed me off more than anything. I disliked every character. The sphere grid could have been something really interesting but turned out to be the same as leveling except to you have micromanage every detail. And despite the fact that there was no leveling, you still had to do more "sphere acquiring" (read: leveling) than any other FF I've played to date (except for FF1 perhaps).

Oh No Its Kyle said:

EDIT: Oh, I think Chrono Trigger sucked simply because I couldn't beat it. I loved everything else.

Really? I thought it was the easiest console RPG I've ever played.

Metal Gear Solid, without a doubt.

FFVIII was crapy too, but I think everyone knows that. FFX is alright.

The deal with Final Fantasy is that each game in the series tries to do something new. Many of them try to be "innovative," using concepts that sound good on paper, but in practice are entirely flawed or unbalanced.

One of the best examples of this is Final Fantasy II (Note that I'm using the titles from the Playstation re-releases, not from the Super Nintendo versions where the games were renumbered). This game tried to use a new levelling system, where instead of gaining EXP, certain statistics would raise or lower depending on your actions in battle. This SOUNDS good in theory, but when put to the test it didn't really work out. The reason was because of magic--any player of RPGs can tell you that you're not going to use spells in EVERY SINGLE BATTLE, yet this system required you to do just that if you wanted to have good spellcasters later on. Honestly, the way the system worked, there was no reason to do anything other than just give everyone a sword or an axe (The most powerful weapon types in the entire game) and train them to be proficient in it. And let me tell ya... there's NOTHING more boring than an RPG where you beat every single monster just by slashing at it endlessly.

Not surprisingly, Final Fantasy II is considered one of the worst games of the series, as is Final Fantasy VIII, which also tried new things that all were ill-thought-out and thus, backfired. Seriously, I must wonder who was asleep at the wheel for that one. One of Final Fantasy VIII's "Innovations" was that the monsters grew more powerful just so you wouldn't outclass them! How stupid is that? THE WHOLE POINT OF LEVELLING UP *IS* THAT YOU EVENTUALLY OUTCLASS THEM!

Not surprisingly, Final Fantasies 1, 4, 6, and 7 are typically considered the best games of the series (well.... opinion is sharply divided regarding FF1). What do those games have in common? They, for the most part, stick to established RPG conventions (though I personally had many qualms with FF7). It's no wonder, then, that those (particularly Final Fantasy 4) are the most well-designed games in the entire series.

By the way Kyle: What part of Chrono Trigger did you have problems with? Perhaps I can help *Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games*

Chrono Cross was an abomination though... everything I said about the Final Fantasy series applies to it as well. There was gonna be a third game in the series, "Chrono Break" but fortunately it seems like it got cancelled.

Well I don't have the game anymore but I got stuck at the church. That's how pathetic I am. ^.^;

I don't hate rpgs though. I love Dragon Warrior. :D

Oh No Its Kyle said:

Well I don't have the game anymore but I got stuck at the church. That's how pathetic I am. ^.^;

I don't hate rpgs though. I love Dragon Warrior. :D

Yea. The original Dragon Warrior is one of the best (not to mention most misunderstood and most under-rated) RPGs ever made.

Too bad you got stuck at the church... you're missing one AMAZING game. However if you have a Playstation or a PS2, there's a collection called "Final Fantasy Chronicles" that includes a slightly enhanced remake of Chrono Trigger, if you feel like giving it another go (and then you could ask me if you get stuck at the church again).

JamesEightBitStar said:

Chrono Cross was an abomination though... everything I said about the Final Fantasy series applies to it as well. There was gonna be a third game in the series, "Chrono Break" but fortunately it seems like it got cancelled.

Heh, yeah.

I thought that the sequels to Secret of Mana were bad. For one, they had none of the feel SOM had that made me enjoy the game so much. Square (if they are called that still) seems to have problems with trying new things.

I thought half-life sucked (and since I was new to computer gaming, I haven't really heard of it before).

Its been said but I cannot stand the GTA series.

Then there's FF VIII and FF IX. I love the FF series really but those two were just annoying.

And at the moment I'll add in FF Tactics. Why? Because I made a bad mistake in my team and I cannot get past this one part. =/

I almost want to put FF X in the list too but the only thing in the game that bothered me was the atmosphere. Everything was too bright in my opinion. The sphere grid wasn't all too bad considering I took the time to max out my fighting party by going back and replacing nodes and all of that like.

Oh yeah and I forgot the Sims. Theme Park for Sega will -always- rock.

Janderson said:

The dialogue(sp?) in FFX + X-2 makes me bleed internally.

Don't you just love how they never do say Tidus' name? They always find some way of avoiding it. I honestly feel allowing the player to choose his name was a bad step. It makes everything seem so fake in the dialogue. They need to address him by name some time. =/

Oh No Its Kyle said:

Windows isn't a game. :P

Maintaining windows is like keeping a Tamagotchi or my laptop alive!

Arckra said:

Don't you just love how they never do say Tidus' name? They always find some way of avoiding it. I honestly feel allowing the player to choose his name was a bad step. It makes everything seem so fake in the dialogue. They need to address him by name some time. =/

It really does this? Geez, that's weak... especially since a LOT of RPGs allow you to name your characters (including previous Final Fantasy games) yet instead of avoiding calling anyone by name, they simply programmed the games so that the in-game text will use the name you assigned instead of their default name.

...Are you SURE FFX does this, and you didn't just change his name to "I Don't Know" or something like that?

JamesEightBitStar said:

...Are you SURE FFX does this, and you didn't just change his name to "I Don't Know" or something like that?

FFX has voice acting...
The script was lame as fuck. The FF movie had the same type of awful script. Someone else was watching it in the same room as me as I was playing quake 2 for the first time.

JamesEightBitStar said:

It really does this? Geez, that's weak... especially since a LOT of RPGs allow you to name your characters (including previous Final Fantasy games) yet instead of avoiding calling anyone by name, they simply programmed the games so that the in-game text will use the name you assigned instead of their default name.

FF X is run off of audio dialouge. So if you changed Tidus' name then the game would have to learn to pronounce it and there would have to be a special voice type dealie that included what you named him. Most, if not all, of the dialouge in FF X was audio so Tidus' name was never said.

You do though see your name used when there are only text events but those are rare.

Did any of that make sense?

I actually ended up using magic almost every battle in FFX.

Anyone here play Secret of Evermore? That game could have been really great if they didn't fuck it up with all those damn mazes. It still has the best sidekick of all time despite this. :P

pokemon - over rated, over played and over advetised. i am sick of seeing it.

golden eye, N64 - over rated, though a good game for the system i thought it would have been complete shit for PC.

perfect dark - WTF, i didnt even understand it. used golden eye engine and was basicly quake 3 for N64. rented it from block buster before they started killing off N64

ever quest - over rated but what gets me is the die hard fan boys. god these people are annoying. talking about it is the greatest game on earth. however loose a fist fight because they spend 9 hours a day infront of a damn computer. also the pay to play thing was really lame, just to milk a product.

quake 3 - didn't like it. good graphics but that was it. i prefered UT over quake 3.

tombraid 3-6 - these just sucked. ok after 2 it was old and lame.

vice city/GTA III - didnt like these, i played for 5 minutes and got borded

DDR - over rated, while the arcade version is fun, the home version is just retarded. even with the pad, my brother made a big deal about getting it. yet he only played it once for 10 minutes.

PS2 system - while not a game the original release version was extreamly bad and poorly designed. many many heat issues and such. though the version on shelf now is 100% improved, it shows what happens if you go on hype alone and skip QC

ipod - portable and disposeible. why the fuck should i pay 200+ for a device that is disposable. the fact you cant replace the internal battery is extreamly lame and horrible. even if the battery was replace able i still dont see the reason to chrage more than everything else on the market. personaly i would rather have a nomad or the samsung.

halo - over rated, nothing new in a game. though fun to play i hate its muiltiplayer. also the enemies seem more comical than anything.

need for speed: underground - shit if you ask me. another racing game. however wehat got me was the graphics. WTF, why is the pavment reflecting light? am i missing something here? the only time pavment makes a reflection is when it is wet, dark and at an angle. made the game a bitch to see. also adds to that whole 'street car' sub culture that i thing is lame anyways.

madden XXXX - fill in your number. i am not much for sports games. though i dont see why you would need to buy a new one every year just because it has 'updated stats' for players. i still get by with madden 1985 for the atari 2600, heh