Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Euronymous

PC Gamer UK reports exclusive review in next issue

PC Gamer UK is reporting an exclusive review of doom 3 in the next issue, ot 11th of july...

sounds a bit early to me but PC Gamer is pretty reliable...

Yeah, if any, I usually favour PC Gamer. For console and PC stuff though, I don't think anything comes close to EDGE.

Shamino said:

Does the game have to be complete in order to 'review' it?

Theoretically yes, but in reality almost they never are.

Well then the game is probably close though. Id would probably only give away review copy's just ahead of the game's release. At least, that's what I would do.

Especially for hard print mags, they gotta review stuff before it's actually done, due to heavy competition from free web based game sites like gamespot. Online sources can update at will, but print magazines, are always behind since not only are they constrained by mag release dates, but production values.

Apparantly if you look in the very back on page 112, in the NEXT MONTH box, you'll see the following:

"We're dying here. On the one hand, we want to tell you all about the earth-shaking exclusive we've got lined up for next issue. On the other hand, it's such a massive secret, it makes the Manhattan Project look like a gardening club. So we must remain mum for now, but trust us: our August cover will unveil a story well worth the wait"

Hmmmmm....curious...

Doesn't say anything like that, the next month page is on page 145...

I'm not sure how to post pics here of if its even aloud due to being a magazine scan so I will describe it...

it says "next months pc game on sale july 8"

then

"
"You might know me..."
Exclusive review of DOOM 3. OH YES."

then it has a large picture of the chainsaw zombie, erm...not sure how to describe it, its a screenshot we have all seen before, dead guy on a table, chainsaw zombie in pumpkins in trouser shocker :P...

you know the one I mean....

Incidently, PC Gamers review policy...and I quote

"We only review game code that is signed off as complete by its publisher. All UK magazines review from pre-production gold master dics that are provided by the game publisher. This procedure ensures that reviews are available at the same time as boxed copies arrive in the shops. Nevertheless, we do not review game code without official assurance that it is the finished product"

It's looking good, especially the bit about "at the same time boxed copies arrive in the shops" Could this mean a July release for doom 3?

I'm going to remain sceptical about this until I acctualy have the copy in my hand, whilst PC Gamer are 100% reliable 99% of the time they have been known to cock up review dates, for example unreal tournament which went through about 4 months of "coming in the next issue" before it acctualy appeared...

To quote Mark Donald, editor of PCG UK...

It doesn't now look like Doom will be ready for review this issue. At the time of writing the Next Month page, it looked like it would be, now, I don't think so. Why do we get these things wrong? Because game release dates change all the time and are notoriously unreliable. They get moved forward, they get moved back (usually back). We can only report the best information we have at the time.

source : http://forum.pcgamer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=44652&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Oh well, next *next* month then.

Linguica said:

Theoretically yes, but in reality almost they never are.

Example: Condition Zero reviewed by PCG, then released 6 months later.

gatewatcher said:

Example: Condition Zero reviewed by PCG, then released 6 months later.

PCG were sent final review code of CS:CZ but the reviews for the game were so bad Valve delayed the game to add "improvements".

phhh, German mag GameStar had the Doom3 review on their last "next issue" page. In the current issue then....well: guess, what`s NOT in it.

I want to believe, though.