Created by: Marcin Szot (MarchWhelp)
Date: June 14, 2004
Version: 1.0
Revision History: None yet

===================================================

This deathmatch megawad's goal is to bring in the efforts of the
doom community to produce highly addictive and playable deathmatch levels. The
project will be worked on by various level designers, play testers, tweakers,
artists, and managers. Once the wad has been released, it will: consist of 32 levels, been play tested for
maxiumum bug control, sound replacements, and advertised to various servers for availability.

Table of Contents

1.0 - Recruitment
1.1 - Roles
1.2 - Why?
1.3 - How do I join?
2.0 - Megawad Levels
2.1 - The Map List
2.2 - Themes
3.0 - Deliverables
3.1 - Map Designer
3.2 - Map Perfectionist
3.3 - Map Tester

*** 1.0) Recruitment

The doom community is responsible for addicting and providing refreshment to this fossil pseudo 3-D game.
This section will consist of several job titles availble to the community along with role analysis and expectations.
If you wish to sign up, see the section below.

*** 1.1) Roles

(((Map Designer)))

Job Analysis: The designer is allowed to sign up for as many maps as he/she pleases. The designer will
make the actual deathmatch maps for this megawad. Using good architecture, deathmatch principles, and
placement, the designer is the most important element to this wad. The designer can select from the
list in the section below to see which theme they will be constructing the wad too. Along the lines of
speed mapping, the designer must adhere to the theme that overshadows their map level.

Expectations: The map must be bug free, visually pleasing, abide by deathmatch principles, flow well, and
be compatible with Zdaemon and Zdoom.

Skill Level: Average to Master

(((Lead Map Designer)))

Job Analysis: See Map Designers description. To become a lead map designer, the candidate must commit and complete
at least 3 levels of the deathmatch. These levels by the lead designers should play very well and look professional.

Expectations: The map must be bug free, visually pleasing, abide by deathmatch principles, flow well, and
be compatible with Zdaemon and Zdoom.

Skill Level: Above average to Master

(((Map Perfectionists)))

Job Analysis: Instead of creating the world, the perfectionist perfects it. When a map designer has completed
the map, and the map has gone through play testing: the perfectionist will tweak and edit it. The perfectionist
will tweak and edit everything from bugs to aesthetics. In addition, the perfectionist should be able to play test
maps and communicate effectively with map testers.

Expectations: Attention to detail, artistic appreciation of the doom world, and communication.

Skill Level: Exceptional to Master

(((Map Tester)))

Job Analysis: The map tester will receive beta versions of maps and play in them. Attention to the flow of the
level, weapon placement, deathmatch starts, and visual appearance must be considered while play testing. Brief
must be filled out for each map and sent to me, and the perfectionists/designers. The process is explained below.

Expectations: Attention to detail, firm grasp of good deathmatch design, and appreciation of the doom worlds.
Constructive criticism will be expected, not primitive jargon (LOLZORZ, this map sux kthxbye).

Skill Level: Beginner to Master

(((Lead Map Tester)))

Job Analysis: In charge of the map tester in addition to testing maps. Will provide leadership in the arena and
in discussions about the map. The lead tester is required to test at least 20 of the maps, preferably all maps. This
position will have a big say in the final outcome of the megawad.

Expectations: Attention to detail, firm grasp of good deathmatch design, and appreciation of the doom worlds.
Constructive criticism will be expected, not primitive jargon (LOLZORZ, this map sux kthxbye). Leadership, patience,
and communication are key.

(((Graphic Artist)))

Job Analysis: There will be little required of the artist. A title screen, intermission screen, and a say in the
aethestetics of level design are the only requirements. There is a slight chance the artist will redo the
hud screen.

Expectations: Expeirence in computer graphics and design, communication, and play testing the levels.

*** 1.2) Why?

Partaking in the construction of a megawad is a great feeling. Once the map is done and it's being played on
zdaemon servers, seeing people enjoy your map should alone be worth it. Aside from that, working on a megawad is
a good way to gain recongnition and respect from your peers. It is worthy to put on a resume
or bring up in a job interview (trust me) -- companies love team players. Lastly, your name will be entered
in the text file, the title screen, and on the project website.

*** 1.3) How do I join?

Simple, reply to this thread or email me at: blueoasisco@yahoo.com. Answer these questions in the format specified:

Name:
Doom Screen Name:
Role:
Expirence:

Map Level Desired (If applicable):

Contact (How can I and others reach you):

*** 1.4) Commitment

You commit yourself as much as you'd like. There is little pressure to produce the map, playtest, or design graphics. If
you can and only want to create one map, then go ahead. You can do three maps? Great! Once you start making that level
for the megawad, hopefully you'll end up on a roll. If you get stuck, there is a ton of able designers and players who
can solve/advise your problems.

*** 2.0) MegaWad Levels

The megawad is a 32 level deathmatch wad that will be created through the efforts of the doom community. To keep the
wad from going in every direction, there are themes allocated for each map. The designer should stay within the
theme (like speed mapping).

*** 2.1) The Map List

Map01) Tech Base
Map02) Tech Base
Map03) Tech Base
Map04) Tech Base
Map05) Outside Based
Map06) Outside Based
Map07) Outside Based
Map08) Outside Based
Map09) Castle Theme
Map10) Castle Theme
Map11) Castle Theme
Map12) Castle Theme
Map13) Caverns
Map14) Caverns
Map15) Town Theme
Map16) Town Theme
Map17) Town Theme
Map18) Town Theme
Map19) Space Port
Map20) Space Station Theme
Map21) Space Station Theme
Map22) Space Station Theme
Map23) Alien Planet Theme
Map24) Alien Planet Theme
Map25) Hell Theme
Map26) Hell Theme
Map27) Hell Theme
Map28) Hell Theme
Map29) Dreamworld
Map30) Dreamworld
Map31) Freestyle
Map32) Freestyle

*** 2.2) Themes

When designing the map, the theme is a general style for the map designer to follow. So in a tech base theme, the designer
can make a base with an outside and some elements of demon influence (small usage of skin, snake, hanging bodies). Or a
town theme can be a standard ghost town (dwango5), or dueling skyscrapers, or a specific building with buildings visible
through the window. Don't feel clinched by the theme, instead use it as a starting point and build onto it.

*** 3.0) Deliverables

These what must be delivered once your job is done. The section is ordered by roles with each role showing what must
be delivered to me.

*** 3.1) Map Designer

In a zip file, submit to me your level and a text file. The text file must answer these basic questions:

=============================
Name:
Doom SN:
Map Level:
Theme:
New Music?:
New Graphics?:

If new music or graphics are included in the level, please tell me the name of the midi/texture files. Do not override
existing doom textures, make sure to create new ones with unique names. If possible, do without the new graphics.

*** 3.2) Map Perfectionist

Once the level you have receieved has been play tested by you, the play testers, and you have edited/tweaked it: provide
a zip file with the level and a text file. The text file must answer these basic questions:

Original Map Designer:
Original Map Designer's Doom SN:

Perfectionist's Name:
Perfectionist's Doom SN:

Map Level:
Theme:
New Music?:
New Graphics?:

Editing Comments:

*** 3.3) Map Tester

Once you are done playing the map, send me a text file with this information:

Map Tester:
Map Tester's Doom SN:

Original Map Designer:
Original Map Designer's Doom SN:

Map Level:
Theme:

Rate the level overall 1-10(Fantastic):
Rate the visual aspects 1-10(Fantastic):
Rate the playability 1-10(Fantastic):
Rate the weapon placement 1-10(Fantastic):
Rate the theme consistency 1-10(Fantastic):

Play Tester Comments:

Please fill in as many comments as are needed to convery the good, the bad, and the ugly to the designer/perfectionist.

And as mentioned in the thread topic we are recruiting for all positions listed. Please follow the guidelines if you wish to contribute to this project.

Here are links associated with the megawad:
http://web.syr.edu/~mtszot/project/index.html Project website
http://web.syr.edu/~mtszot/project/text/DM-megawad.txt Text file format

I don't normally do this, but...

MarchWhelp, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

You do realize this is never ever going to happen, don't you? Unless you're willing and able to do the whole thing yourself, of course.

We have 6 people on the team so far. That's not a bad start.

Forgot to mention! The description/text file above is outta date. We got 14 levels complete so far with a whole new weapon's system. Here's a list of our weapons so the map designer's have an idea of how to make the map and place weapons:

(Thank you Cory Whittle in the cooperation of the weapon integration and tweaking in this megawad)

=================
Distortion Gun

Replaces: Chainsaw

As the player approaches closer, the distortion gun will deal greater damage. If you can 'catch' the player with the gun, it'll be an almost instant kill.

=================

Machine Gun

Replaces: Pistol

Fires at a fast rate, with high accuracy. The spread on each shot is very tight.

================

Shotgun

Replaces: Shotgun (duh?)

Fires slugs (like the ssg) with a faster reload rate. Closer distance to enemy means higher damage.

=================

Sniper

Replaces: Super Shotgun

High damage rifle with long reload. Uses 10 bullets per shot, so aim carefully.

================

Plasma Gun

Replaces: Plasma....

The delay between each plasma is longer, but the plasma bullets are much stronger. Cool sound too.

================

Quantum Destabilizer

Replaces: BFG

Powerful gun, a bit too strong (easy to kill yourself). Still tweaking.

================

The chaingun and rocket launcher are similar to their counterparts except with a higher fire rate and more damage.

I'll join in. I actually have a dm map cooking on the back burner I've been wanting to make but only if the map I'm making is Boom supported.

Metal_Sonic said:

so is it a zdoom or a vanilla wad?

Zdoom and/or Zdaemon. The new weapons, textures, graphics, blah blah make it unvanillaly....

Heh, does the world really need another DM megawad that no one will ever play except for a small handful of people?
Mind you, I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, if you want to do this, go ahead, but be aware that not everyone in the community is going to drop what they're doing just so they can play a DM megawad.

DooMBoy said:

...but be aware that not everyone in the community is going to drop what they're doing just so they can play a DM megawad.

Not entirely accurate. There was a DM megawad released recently that had monsters for single player and it turned out to be a lot of fun.

So yeah, if you guys do complete this project, please consider adding some monsters for SP. You'd be surprised how much fun it can be.

I hope those screenshots are not from the maps that are supposed to be "visually pleasing" :P

boris said:

I hope those screenshots are not from the maps that are supposed to be "visually pleasing" :P

Bastard... :)

Those shots intent was simply to show off the weapons.

Some of you guys may have played this on the Zdaemon servers anyways. It came out as an alpha beta version: pwrab1dm.wad. During the testing process it received a ton of praise. Decided to continue it, and now we are refining the current maps to player's tastes.

As always, still recruiting for all positions.

Amaster said:

So yeah, if you guys do complete this project, please consider adding some monsters for SP. You'd be surprised how much fun it can be.

Yeah we were thinking about doing that. The new weapons would make single/coop a lot of fun. It'd be like some crazy 'blast-fest' or something to that ultra-extreme.