Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Sound of the Big Bang

A US physicist has reconstructed the acoustic waves from Big Bang. In order for humans to listen to it he had to increase the frequency 100,000 billion times, cause one frequency was in reality about 50,000 years long...

You can the sound-file find here:

http://www.npl.washington.edu/AV/BigBangSound_2.wav

Other articles on that site are interesting, as well.

Psyonisis said:

It sounds like a jet is flying overhead.

The guy who constructed the file agrees:

It sounds rather like a large jet plane 100 feet off the ground flying over your house in the middle of the night.

How could sound possibly persist (or even exist) in a vacuum? i thought it needed a medium of some type to travel through.

Cool. :D
That was a lot more quiet than I had thought. :D I was expecting this loud VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGGGGGGGGGGGGG POW POW POW POWWWWWWWWW BOOOOOOOOOM Or something to that effect. :D

Quast said:

How could sound possibly persist (or even exist) in a vacuum? i thought it needed a medium of some type to travel through.

From the page I linked to in my previous post:

Theoretical studies have shown that as the early universe expanded, sound waves propagated through the dense medium that closed back on itself, so that the hypersphere of the universe rang like a bell. The detailed frequency spectrum of the sound waves that permeated the primordial universe, literally the sounds of the Big Bang, depends on details such as the expansion rate, the energy balance, and the matter density of the universe at the early age of 300,000 years.

But how could one possibly listen to sound waves that had dwindled away and died 14 billion years ago? Fortunately, there is a way. The primordial sound waves were present at the time that light decoupled from matter to form the CBR. The sound waves, because they produced regions of compression and rarefaction in the medium, modulated the CMB, with some regions being slightly hotter or colder than other. This modulation is predicted to still be present in the CBR at a scale of less than 2 degrees in angle. Basically, to see the effects of the primordial sound waves one must look for variations in the temperature of the CBR of about 1 part in a ten thousand through a peephole that spans a cone in the sky with an opening angle of 2 degrees or less, and scan this peephole across the sky.

In brief: it was "recorded" in the cosmic background radiation.

Grazza said:

In brief: it was "recorded" in the cosmic background radiation.

that's kind of fucked up

The universe was hardly a "vacuum" right after the Big Bang, more like a "bloody dense soup".

Fredrik said:

The universe was hardly a "vacuum" right after the Big Bang, more like a "bloody dense soup".

yes, but it isn't quite so dense now...that's why I was wondering how 'sound' could have perpetuated continuosly for 14 billion years

On one hand, it's quite interesting that we had the ability to discover the actual sound of the Bang, but on the other, it really doesn't make much of a dirrerence to anything whatever it sounded like.

Someone is bound to use it in a Doom wad (probably speeded up several times).

Wow, I'm surprised no one's linked to a WAV of a fart yet.

And that's one lame ass bang.

Wow, you know what, I'm going to record myself taking a piss with a microphone muffled by towels, increase the volume, slow it down, and call it the creation of the Earth and see if I can get a bunch of fools to believe me just like this guy. :D

i prefer to collect rain water and sell it as "angel's tears" hell i am sure some dumb ass out there could fall for it.

Bloodshedder said:

Sounds even better sped up by 400%.

Grazza said:

Someone is bound to use it in a Doom wad.

Makes a good futuristic weapon/teleport/reactor/whatever sound...

(but I probably won't use it)

Relica Religia said:

it really doesn't make much of a dirrerence to anything whatever it sounded like.

Well, if you read the article I linked to earlier, you'll see that the precise pattern of these sound waves provides significant evidence for the universe being flat (i.e. will not collapse back in on itself in a "Big Crunch").

So maybe it's not completely unimportant.

It sounds a lot like some big appliance being unplugged and slowly idling down.

Grazza said:

Well, if you read the article I linked to earlier, you'll see that the precise pattern of these sound waves provides significant evidence for the universe being flat (i.e. will not collapse back in on itself in a "Big Crunch").

So maybe it's not completely unimportant.

Heh if theres one thing that can put you in more of panic, it's realizing you're worthless when compared to the entire universe and you have absolutly no control of something you absolutly don't understand.

insertwackynamehere said:

Heh if theres one thing that can put you in more of panic, it's realizing you're worthless when compared to the entire universe and you have absolutly no control of something you absolutly don't understand.

Actually not really. You'll be dead way before the universe implodes.

By our standards yes. But in theory I may not have even been born since the implode theory leads back to the explode theory, where it endlessly loops. Also some people think time may go backwards as the universe implodes as if it's rewinding.