Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JamesEightBitStar

Duke 3D Question

Hey guys,

I was considering buying Duke Nukem 3D, however... Now, I know for a fact that the original version of the game also came with full, registered versions of Duke Nukem 1 and 2 (you know, the side-scrolling platformers).

I just wanted to know if Duke 3D: The Atomic Edition still includes those games as a free bonus.

Thanks in advance.

You know, I have the Atomic Edition, but I never even considered looking for the old Duke Nukem games. I don't see either one in the duke3d directory. However, the Atomic Edition does contain an extra episode, but unlike Ultimate Doom, it contains a new (and quite tough) boss monster.

Through a purchasing kafuffle, I acquired both standard and Atomic versions of Duke3D. I'll check.....

EDIT: Bloody freaking crap, both games are nowhere to be found. Damn it.

Ichor said:

You know, I have the Atomic Edition, but I never even considered looking for the old Duke Nukem games. I don't see either one in the duke3d directory. However, the Atomic Edition does contain an extra episode, but unlike Ultimate Doom, it contains a new (and quite tough) boss monster.

As well as a few new monsters on top. And a new weapon.

id and their cheap expansions, hrrmph.

Yeah, but what id lacks in new weapons it gains in class. Duke 3D was all about showing girls with boobs. Doom was all about killing monsters. Duke 3D appeals to horney 13 year olds. Doom appeals to people with taste. What would you rather play?

Oh No Its Kyle said:
Yeah, but what id lacks in new weapons it gains in class. Duke 3D was all about showing girls with boobs. Doom was all about killing monsters. Duke 3D appeals to horney 13 year olds. Doom appeals to people with taste. What would you rather play?

That is the worst 'Doom over Duke Nukem 3D' argument I've ever heard.

Edit: In fact, it's so dumb, I'm going to play Duke Nukem 3D right now.

Lord FlatHead said:

I'm sure you can find both on many abandonware sites. Unless you have moral objections, of course.

I do--I won't download a game that I know is easily and legally available.

And to Bloodshedder: What's Duke Nukem Forever? Will it include the classic platformers?

Duke 1 and 2 came with my Kill a Ton cd as well, so I dont see why Duke Atomic would be the only CD without them. Duke 2 was good, I couldnt muster up the resolve to actually play through DN1 though at the time...

Oh No Its Kyle said:
lol, considering I like Duke 3D, you can kiss my ass :P

Grrrrrr...

If any wants me i'll be in the angry dome...

It was the sounds that put me off it. To this day the first thing I do to anyones computer if I work on it is rip out the PC speaker and throw it at a wall.

chilvence said:

It was the sounds that put me off it. To this day the first thing I do to anyones computer if I work on it is rip out the PC speaker and throw it at a wall.

I use the volume switch :P

The Kill-A-Ton Collection came with the original Duke3D, according to the information I've found. Personally, if I bought Duke3D at all I think I would like to have that collection. The version I get doesn't bother me, since you can download an upgrade patch that transforms regular Duke 3D into the Atomic Edition anyway. I just want to have the original Dukes along with it.

EDIT: Just a Question: how many discs IS the Kill-A-Ton collection? I found someone selling it on Ebay, but he is only selling three discs. (Granted, they could've put multiple expansions on the discs to save space, like the Quake collection did, but I want to be sure first).

JamesEightBitStar said:

What's Duke Nukem Forever? Will it include the classic platformers?

Duke Nukem Forever is the sequel to Duke3D. It has been in development well over seven years now, which is why most people are very sceptic towards it. No information, screenshots or movies have been released for ages. Still, I've got high hopes.

Oh No Its Kyle said:

Yeah, but what id lacks in new weapons it gains in class.

Class is being lazy? Episode 4 is a great set of levels, but they might as well have just sold you a high quality megawad nevertheless - I was so disappointed when there was a new episode with no boss.

I was being a smartass. I retract bullshit previous fanboy statements about Doom that I made up and pulled out of my ass in a sad attempt to be funny. :/ I like Duke 3D. I didn't care about the strippers (in fact I shot them, makes the game harder) so...

i see duke at walmart and k-mart off and on for like $9.00

i am sure you can find a copy for $5. honestly i wouldn't pay more than $15. your could just order it from somewhere for that.

hell i give you my copy if i still had it. i never play the game

JamesEightBitStar said:

EDIT: Just a Question: how many discs IS the Kill-A-Ton collection? I found someone selling it on Ebay, but he is only selling three discs. (Granted, they could've put multiple expansions on the discs to save space, like the Quake collection did, but I want to be sure first).

I have the Kill-A-Ton collection and it is indeed 3 discs.

Anybody here played the Manhattan Project? You can get the demo at the Duke Nukem website.

Yep, enjoyed it too (£2 well spent, methinks). However, there's no sign of the so-called 'hidden weapons' you're supposed to get when you finish it with 100% everything. (I got the b_mighty_duke message at the end but it's not giving anything when I use it)

(btw, it's going back a bit but did anyone encounter a fatal bug on one of the Duke 1 episode 3 maps? The grabbers didn't work, hence the map is unplayable)

I enjoyed Manhattan Project quite a bit, simple fun... as for the hidden weapons, there are bonuses you can get for getting 100% of the Nukes in a game, it just depends on what skill level you've selected when you play through the game. The bonuses are actually cumulative too, so if you got 100% Nukes on Easy skill, the bonus you get can be used in your Normal or Hard skill playthrough.

"EASY: Double kick damage
MEDIUM: You take half the damage you normally do, and your shirt is blue
(except for in end of level cutscenes).
HARD: You'll get the X3000, the most powerful weapon in the game. It's an
auto-targeting lightning gun! Tip: hold fire while a level is loaded, and
you'll
toast every monster in that level the moment you'l be able to play again!"

The above was taken from Marijn Kentie's FAQ. Speaking of secrets, don't forget the super-secret boss in the final level, Wozma (you'll probably be able to guess what this thing was inspired by when you see it).

EDIT: Oh yeah... aside from one or two of the bosses, most of them are just more powerful versions of regular enemies, which was lame IMO. Still, it's an enjoyable little platformer.