Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

Wrap around skies giving me the finger

All right, I've been trying my luck at making a wrap around sky. No luck. I did what it said to do: make 4 256x128 skies and label them ABCD, but it didn't work. In Doom2, it used the same sky as if I didn't do anything. In Doom, it just used the A sky. What am I doing wrong?

you have to load those ABCD sky images as patches, then create a SKY1, SKY2, or SKY3 texture that's 1024 x 128, insert your ABCD patches into that sky texture with the correct offsets, and now you should have the same long, wrapping sky as the flat.

So I have to make a 1024x128 sky1, 2, or 3 patch first and then label them? What would I label them?

I tried to load a 1024x128 in Wintex and it said "Bad bitmap size." What do I do?

Bashe, textures in Doom are fucking stupid. I don't know what Carmack was thinking when he pulled this great idea out of his ass but the textures are created by the patches and the I think the texture lump info. For example the EXITDOOR texture is made up of like three patches, one of the door itself, one of the supports, and one of it's special door tracks. Same goes for almost everything. Was it to save space I have no idea but in my opinion it's retarded. :/

Oh No Its Kyle said:

Was it to save space I have no idea but in my opinion it's retarded. :/

It was to save space. Don't forget that the major distribution media back in 1993 wasn't CD-ROMs but normal Floppy Discs. To reduce the number of discs some tricks were required to reduce the amount of data. Since many patches are used on more than one texture this was quite an obvious solution. The same reasoning led to the mirrored sprites. Today it doesn't matter anymore which makes this texture system so annoying.

Put your patches in the wad, create a 1024x256 texture called RSKY1, 2 or 3, insert each patch into the texture in the right positions (ie. every 256 horizontal units) and it's done.

Bashe, if you have tnt.wad you can look at it for an example. The sky used for hell is what you're looking for.

Do I make a texture like this?:
RSKY1 1024 128
SKY1A 256 128
SKY1B 256 128
SKY1C 256 128
SKY1D 256 128

Sigh...Try it differently. Either make a 1024 graphic and import it into the wad (XWE can) and then make the sky of it, or, import 4 graphics 256 per each (just what You did) and...
Don't make 5 textures, just the sky1 with the combination of 4 patches. Put the 4 parts of the sky into the patch names list (xwe->right click on graphic->add to patch names). Now, go into the texture 1 lump and create Your sky (sky1, 1024 width,out of the patches You just added to patch names list).
But importing a 1024x256 graphic and -> add to texture is easier. Did You name Your sky texture rsky1??! Change name to sky1 in the texture 1 lump, rsky1 is the name of the patch, not the sky texture. Your sky patches don't have to have names like sky1A, sky1B... For example, go into the texture 1 lump and find the sky1 texture. You can make the texture out of any patches, even bricks o_O but what is important that Your sky texture is named sky1.

MAKE 4 PATCHES THAT ARE 128x256!!!

PUT YOUR SKIES IN THE PATCHES!!!

CHANGE ONE OF THE SKY TEXTURES TO 128x1204!!!

PUT YOUR PATCHES IN THE TEXTURE!!!

ITS NOT THAT HARD!!!

Fuck it. Dammit all to hell. I don't fucking care about this goddamn subject anymore.

That's gay how you can't delete your own posts. Why?

Anyway, I did everything you guys told me. EVERYTING. The skies are all nice and lined up. They're good, but I'm STILL gitting fingered. The TEXTURE1 lump is perfect. Everything in there is right and ready to go. When I use the wad in the game, the sky just doesn't appear at all (well, not my sky). This wad was meant for Doom2. WTF is wrong!??!?!?!??!!?!!?!??!?!?!?!??!

This is what I put into the TEXTURE1 lump.

name width height stuff stuff patches
sky1 1024 128 0 0 4

patch xoff yoff
sky1a 0 0
sky1b 256 0
sky1c 512 0
sky1d 768 0

That's just a basic lodown of what I put.

You need to replace one of the rsky textures with your sky patches. (actually you dont NEED to do that, but it might make it easier for you)

rsky1 = doom2 clouds

rsky2 = cityscape

rsky3 = hell

so take sky1, make it 1024x128, put your patches into it.

If you can't figure it out I'd be happy to make the sky for you.

Okay...this is getting fucked up...

I refuses to load my sky. I did EVERYTHING RIGHT!!! I mean, check this pic out:

You can only see the first half of the sky but oh well. What is wrong with it?

ARRRRRRRRG! DO YOU EVEN KNOW THE DEFAULT SKY PATCHES?! DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW TO REPLACE 1 SKY? ... erm ahem... now anyways, you have a serious problem. Use3d sorta implied on this. Your patches are WRONG WRONG WRONG! Your PATCHES yes PATCHES not TEXTURES have to be:

RSKY1
RSKY1B
RSKY1C
RSKY1D

Got it? GOT IT? Now I haven't used wrap around skys before, but THAT is most certainly a problem.

You may be wondering about the RSKY1. That MUST be replaced, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, just change the reference to the PATCH in your TEXTURE and it should work fine. GOT IT? RENAME THE PATCHES LEAVING THE FIRST ONE AS RSKY1 AND THE REST WITH THE ADDED ON LETTERS THEN FIX YOUR TEXTURE BY CORRECTING THE PATCHES' NAMES IN THERE.

cyber-menace said:

ARRRRRRRRG! DO YOU EVEN KNOW THE DEFAULT SKY PATCHES?! DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW TO REPLACE 1 SKY? ... erm ahem... now anyways, you have a serious problem. Use3d sorta implied on this. Your patches are WRONG WRONG WRONG! Your PATCHES yes PATCHES not TEXTURES have to be:

RSKY1
RSKY1B
RSKY1C
RSKY1D

Got it? GOT IT? Now I haven't used wrap around skys before, but THAT is most certainly a problem.

You may be wondering about the RSKY1. That MUST be replaced, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, just change the reference to the PATCH in your TEXTURE and it should work fine. GOT IT? RENAME THE PATCHES LEAVING THE FIRST ONE AS RSKY1 AND THE REST WITH THE ADDED ON LETTERS THEN FIX YOUR TEXTURE BY CORRECTING THE PATCHES' NAMES IN THERE.

Stop shouting! You are incorrect anyway because

THE PATCH NAMES DON'T MATTER!!!!!

If you specify that SKY1 consists of the patches SKY1A, SKY1B and so on, so be it! Only when you replace the original patch without altering TEXTURE1 the RSKY name applies!

Bashe, if you still have problems you can send me the WAD with the non-working sky by email and I check what's wrong with it.

:$ This is what happens when you've never done the subject before. I anticipated you had to overwrite the old patch in order to make it work easier.

And unless you let someone else see your WAD you might never find out what possibly trivial mistake you made.

Here's you problem:

This WAD contains only the definition for one single texture. Except ZDoom no other port is able to handle this because they expect a full set of textures in your TEXTURE1 lump.
But even ZDoom doesn't run this because the first texture in a TEXTURE1 lump is set to no texture at all because originally this has index 0 which for Doom means 'nothing' so the old SKY1 texture doesn't get replaced.

If this is for any port make sure that your TEXTURE1 lump contains all textures you need.
If this is for ZDoom only just add a single dummy texture before the sky and it should work.

Or simply copy texture1 from doom2.wad (or doom.wad), and add your texture into it, the file size will not go up by much, because all the actual patches (except new ones) are still in the iwad

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I took the texture1 from doom2 and put it in my wad, I added my patch, and I got an error about the PNAMES directory. I took the PNAMES from doom2 and put it in there and added my patches. The preview of the patch looked the way it was supposed to. I ran, AND THE FUCKING SKY IS STILL NOT THERE!!! This is fucked.

Why can't you delete your own messages anymore?

I'm not sure what you did, but for some reason, PNAMES had only your patches listed instead of all of the patches in Doom 2. Same with TEXTURE1. I took the patches from your wad and just started over with a whole new wad (asky2.wad). It works now.