Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MuD

Demo problems with ZDoom

I downloaded Zdoom today so I decided to look at the demos for deus vult. I got them running, but every time so far it has crashed my computer early on in the demos...Are there any parameters I should use or something?

Check you are using exactly the same version of Zdoom as the one they were recorded with (2.0.63).

There shouldn't be any need for any special parameters. And there's no particular reason why playing back demos should cause a crash. It might just be that Zdoom is unstable on your system (in which case updating your drivers might help).

Bah, when I'm playing using Zdoom it will restart my computer at some point. I updated my graphics drivers and that didnt sort out the problem, oh well I think I'll give up on zdoom.

Then your computer has a problem. It isn't normal if it restarts randomly if some program is running. I had the same effect once starting with one specific game and it got worse over the time until I had to replace the computer because I couldn't use it anymore.

There might be a way that could help you.
Enter the console and type 'toggle cl_capfps'. For me that helped on my old (defective) computer.

MuD said:

Bah, when I'm playing using Zdoom it will restart my computer at some point. I updated my graphics drivers and that didnt sort out the problem, oh well I think I'll give up on zdoom.

Wait, don't give up yet.

You're probably using version 1.23. This is the one that's right in your face when you go to the download page. However, the demos were recorded useing a NEWER version.

Here's the link to the latest version, the one you need to watch the demos.

http://www.zdoom.org/files/lars/63.cab

Those are the ones I have been using, both 6.3 and 6.3a give me problems. I tried the cl_capfps thing, but Zdoom still crashes or restarts my computer.

You could try playing it when your machine is cold (ie. just been switched on) in case it has trouble with overheating.

It might be worth telling us your machine specs, too.

I tried running it just after switching it on so everything was cool but it still screwed up. My processor only reaches 50 degrees after its been working hard anyway so its not overheating.
Its only with ZDoom I have problems, jdoom and normal doom2 are okay, everything else runs fine too, I play Wolfensein ET alot and thats never caused me trouble, I guess Zdoom just doesnt like this computer...

athlon 2000xp+ (not overclocked)
512mb DDR SDRAM
a7n266-c motherboard
geforce4 64mb
windows xp