Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DarkknightXC

Work and play games?

How many people here actually work or used to work in the games industry - i.e. designer/artist/developer/q.a. and still develop using Doom now?

I used to work in the games industry until I got bored of pizza and long hours...

DarkknightXC said:

I used to work in the games industry until I got bored of pizza and long hours...

wow that sounds like hell all right...

I drew the player and enemy skins for a third party working on a Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II-----> Doom convertion. That's about as close as I've gotten.

Yeah - Jedi Knight for a while, seemed to be THE game to edit. That's how I saw it, anyway.

I was a character voice for a really cool total conversion which, SHOCK, never got released. :)

My career goal is to become a game writer or journalist. I believe that would be the most enjoyable thing I could do.

I've contributed to countless projects which were later deemed as "important lessons". Speaking of which, does anyone want a 3D engine that does nothing? No? How about sprites for an 8-bit CRPG?

Zoost said:

What games did you work on?

I work on a few licensed IP games. I worked on Sky Sports(TM) Football Quiz: Seasons 01 & 02 (THQ), Who wants to be a millionare: German 3rd and Italian 2nd Editions (Eidos), American Idol and Pop Idol games (Codemasters).

I got the job as a programmer since I had a great deal of interest in Football (Soccer to those in the US) and games in general.

I should be careful what I say further to that since contracts are full of clauses stating what you can and cannot say.

wildweasel-r3000 said:

My career goal is to become a game writer or journalist. I believe that would be the most enjoyable thing I could do.

Easiest job going! Get the write a few lines about game you've just been paid to play and the publishers are all over you to give them a good review.

Numbermind said:

I've contributed to countless projects which were later deemed as "important lessons". Speaking of which, does anyone want a 3D engine that does nothing? No? How about sprites for an 8-bit CRPG?

Whats the name of the CRPG?

DarkknightXC said:

Whats the name of the CRPG?

Never got far enough to give it a name... the engine's called "Pantheon", though.

boris said:

You know, it's possible to write more than 3 sentences in a single post...

Heh. I used to write really long sentences when I speedtype which used to confuse people because then went on and on and really get frustrating because you miss the point especially when I explain that the reason for something is lost in the line somewhere, but I changed from typing these long sentences and wrote short ones instead. :). So true you can write more than 3 sentences per post. I hope you understand :).

What he means is that you can edit your posts instead of making several of them in a row.

We have a term for that since it happens so often around here. It's called the [newproject] tag.

I once got hired by Banjo Software to work on HACX, and got fired the very next day because they went with 21 levels instead of a full 32 level TC.

Silverwyvern said:

I applied at ravensoft but the position was filled.. does that count?

No seriously... I need a job... help?

mje said:

Yeah - Jedi Knight for a while, seemed to be THE game to edit. That's how I saw it, anyway.

I was a character voice for a really cool total conversion which, SHOCK, never got released. :)

I love Jedi Knight! Where can I get editing tools?

For a while, a few years ago, a company I'd previously written for was vaguely thinking of involving me in some sort of project about computer games. While that was in the air, I reckoned that anything I bought to do with computer games was tax deductible.

Does that count?

Silverwyvern said:

Would you like a mundane job working in software sales for a few years until the company gets bought and we have enough money to make a video game?

Silverwyvern said:

I thought you had one ... ?

I was in talks with some small 3rd party companies a while back to do art for a Gameboy advance game. In the end I guess I didn't really want to get involved with a game while I was busy with school.