Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

Another thing to do before releasing your wad...

I tried it on few of my wads, built with Deth or Doom Builder / ZenNode and it didn't find anything to clean up on most or just 1 byte on some.
I bet it depends on the editors you use, some crappy editors or nodebuilders just leave some useless shit in there..?

Except the author did clean the wad.

And it's not nodes or maps that need cleaning, it's when alot of graphics or sound entries are modified.

I think wintex's clean up deletes some entries used by modern ports (DDF files, Zdoom BEHAVIOUR lumps ect),so beware!, XWE shouldnt do that (if its creator has any sense), but make backups before you clean up, just to be sure!

most wad editors clean wads for you anyway, so it's not really necessary to even load them in wintex or xwe. Deepsea and Wadauthor will both auto-clean any wasted space if you simply load the wad and hit 'save'. DB may do the same, but I'm not sure (I think it does though).

Also that guy's wad IS clean, you're a dumbass. When you remove entries it leaves null space in a wad (due to the structure of the file) which you need to later remove with some sort of cleaning util.

Cyb said:

...it leaves null space in a wad

does this mean I get a mention in the credits of each uncleaned wad? ;)

Russell_P said:

does this mean I get a mention in the credits of each uncleaned wad? ;)

only after you release null space 2!

Cyb said:

When you remove entries it leaves null space in a wad (due to the structure of the file) which you need to later remove with some sort of cleaning util.

I stated that above.

BTW, when I first saw the mus files I saw about 10 mp3s, some which were 2-4mb. one or two were 6. I didn't think those totaled to 75mb tho.

After you posted this, I cleaned it to see. It didn't change anything. The space YOU cleaned was from the things YOU edited.

Yeah I put out three wads, only one of which got put up this week, I guess they really did blow goats. Heh, it's all a learning process.

deathbringer said:

I think wintex's clean up deletes some entries used by modern ports (DDF files, Zdoom BEHAVIOUR lumps ect),so beware!

It doesn't, as I've been using it for ages and it doesn't delete stuff it doesn't recognise. What it will do though is create an identical-named entry next to a non-recognised lump if you edit or update it. You need to quit the wad and load it up again to see the second entry, and delete the lower one to fix it.

heh, wintex also adds around 20 bytes of wasted space to a wad (maybe more) to flag the wad. it actually adds some text in there (after the wad header and before the directory for those familiar with the wad file structure) something along the lines 'made with wintex by some fag blah blah'... kind of a weird thing to do

POTGIESSER said:

Yeah I put out three wads, only one of which got put up this week, I guess they really did blow goats. Heh, it's all a learning process.

This is the reason why (taken from the rejects log):

54:22 EDT 2004 Rejected: torchtheday.txt because No long filenames or filenames with spaces. Read the instructions.
Mon Jun 14 19:54:22 EDT 2004 Rejected: torchtheday.zip because No long filenames or filenames with spaces. Read the instructions.
Mon Jun 14 19:54:25 EDT 2004 Rejected: ripandtear.txt because No long filenames or filenames with spaces. Read the instructions.
Mon Jun 14 19:54:25 EDT 2004 Rejected: ripandtear.zip because No long filenames or filenames with spaces. Read the instructions.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

This is the reason why (taken from the rejects log):

54:22 EDT 2004 Rejected: torchtheday.txt because No long filenames or filenames with spaces. Read the instructions.
Mon Jun 14 19:54:22 EDT 2004 Rejected: torchtheday.zip because No long filenames or filenames with spaces. Read the instructions.
Mon Jun 14 19:54:25 EDT 2004 Rejected: ripandtear.txt because No long filenames or filenames with spaces. Read the instructions.
Mon Jun 14 19:54:25 EDT 2004 Rejected: ripandtear.zip because No long filenames or filenames with spaces. Read the instructions.

AH geez... oh well, thx again.