• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dron

Great classics

I meant good old classic wads not the best wads ever made

EDIT: 400th post!

Check my website if you're looking for classic WADs. Basically if it got a high score it can probably be considered classic, because 80% of the Doom 1 archives are from 94/95.

I've played all but the last two on your list, and you're definately damn straight on all of them.

Aloha999 is a very good classic WAD (5/5), and there's plenty others, so look through the site if you are really lookin' to find some.

My favorite oldschool WAD for DOOM1 is APOCALYPSE.WAD.
It's a whole redesign of E1.
Too bad that I can't remember the name of it's designer, and I don't know of any FTP addresses where you can find it.
The WAD was included on a CD which was bundled up with a book called "Mastering And Modifying DOOM". So there ya go :)

Grimm said:Check my website if you're looking for classic WADs. Basically if it got a high score it can probably be considered classic, because 80% of the Doom 1 archives are from 94/95.

I've played all but the last two on your list, and you're definately damn straight on all of them.

Aloha999 is a very good classic WAD (5/5), and there's plenty others, so look through the site if you are really lookin' to find some.

I already did look through the site. Good reviews Grimm keep up the good work ;). Im going to check Aloha999 up i've heard of it before but never played it

Darkjedi188 said:
My favorite oldschool WAD for DOOM1 is APOCALYPSE.WAD.
It's a whole redesign of E1.
Too bad that I can't remember the name of it's designer, and I don't know of any FTP addresses where you can find it.
The WAD was included on a CD which was bundled up with a book called "Mastering And Modifying DOOM". So there ya go :)

I know of a wad called Apocalypse.wad but im not sure if its what you're talking about but http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=633

Nope, sorry, but that is not the WAD I was talking about.
I must have spelled it wrong. It's probably APOCLYPSE.WAD instead of APOCALYPSE. And it replaces all maps in E1 (1-9). Not just the first map. I think it's probably somewhere on FTP.CDROM.COM or something like that. If not, then I might try e-mailing it to you if you want.

BINGO!!! Yes Grimm, that's it. That's the one. I felt a strong sense of deja-vu by just reading that text file within the zip. I've had certain bits of it memorized by heart :)

Heh, it's definately a pretty damn good WAD. It has a really nice sense of progression that's rarely found in modern maps, let alone ones from back then. I think E1M9 has to be one of my favorite levels ever (and it looks really awesome with hi-res textures). Shame the quality wasn't always consistent. Very good stuff overall though. Heh, finding awesome level sets like that one is what keeps me going through the sea of medicore old-school. :/

I'm just real happy that I have an entire CD chock-full of old-school WADs.
Some of them are kinda crap, but nevertheless, at least many people try to make some form of contribution to the community. The more they try, the longer this community will stay strong!
PEACE!

Grimm said:

Yep, I like that one too, despite the almost single-weapon nature of many maps. I play it with q2sky3.wad (from q2skys-1.zip) and it's even better IMO. Other classics (not in the top 100 wad list) I like are:

#1Kill - excellent gothic episode, play with the E4 sky or q2sky6.wad for best effect.

Epi2best - compilation of 8 maps. There are 2 others, but this one is best (as it has some really great maps, and also doesn't have any awful maps like 1 and 3 do)

Fullon - small but great episode, shame it's not on the archives.

The UCA series 1-2-3-4 - Great series of rocky and tech maps, and they even all follow on from each other. No.4 is my favourite DooM 1 map ever.

That's alot of interesting wads people. After Grimm posted that link I downloaded the Apocal episode. Very good architecture and gameplay hard to believe that its 1994 but then alot of good wads were released in 1994. Im going to go thru my 3D Games Alchemy disk and look for some good old classics. It has alot of good maps and I don't think all of them are on the archives