Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Demigod

question

will the eternity engine always be a dos source port? I guess what I'm trying to say is will team eternity ever stop updating their dos version? most other source ports kind of abandon there dos versions (with the eception of legacy) and it sucks imo.I like to play doom in dos.

Demigod: It's unlikely that the DOS version of Eternity will continue for much longer without people that can test it out in a pure DOS environment (or people that can actually run it). Insisting on playing Eternity in DOS is staying behind the times...you'll have to move on to Windows some time or another.

What's the point in maintaining development for an OS that has been oboslete for 9 years now? Most developers have given up on Dos because the effort to maintain compatibility isn't worth it compared to the small number of potential users.

I can play in windows ,but playing in dos is pretty cool because I can just start my computer hit two keys and play.And with eternity I can load my wads ingame and all the demo's run.And also dos isn't totally obsolete nowadays,their are crazy people like me who still use it.And anyone can use it too http://www.freedos.org/ try it it's hella cool! it's way better than that ms-dos crap.

There are no plans to remove support for DOS from Eternity. All the Allegro code is already in existence and has been made to compile in an otherwise SDL-using port without any major problems, so I see no reason to undo what's there.

That being said, however, the DOS port is unlikely to receive treatment equal to that given the SDL version. For example, getting your hopes up about seeing any new high res. modes in DOS would be a bad idea, since maintaining the code to set high res modes under DOS adds a significant extra cost that I'm not really keen on undertaking.

So in short, the DOS port will remain equal to the SDL port in terms of stuff like editing features and bug fixes, but not necessarily in terms of end-user features like resolutions.

I have another question is there a portal example wad? if so where can I get it?

There was but it has not been updated for the minor spec change in beta 7, and is thus not currently usable. The map is SoM's so I'd rather let him fix it when he has a chance.