Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dutch Doomer

creating your own textures?

im a newbie ad wad editing and got bored with the original textures and want to create some of my own.
so i need something to create my own textures.
i have downloaded a version of wintex43, is that a good one to use or are there better ones?.
and do i need other programs besides wintex43?.

thanks

You'll need Wintex to put the textures into a wadfile, but any graphics program will suffice for actually making the new textures that you'll want to use, even Paint.

is wintex only suited for making new textures/patches?.
the reason why i ask this is because i need something to edit my own
sounds and music too.
and if i want too use the psx sounds in my wads where do i start,i really have no idea.
any tips would be usefull

thanks

Wintex can also add sounds and music to a wadfile. However, many some people use XWE instead. Either one works.

if im using my new textures in my wads,doom will probably crash due to the fact that it doesn't reconice my new textures.
if im wright how can i fixe this?.

It shouldn't crash at all. However, if you use Wintex to add patches (actual graphics) to a wad, Doom will ignore them. You'll need to add a new entry in the texture list for it to be recognized by Doom and any map editors.

well thanks for your help ichor,first i need to learn to use wintex a littlebit better.
and if i have any questions in the future i will post them here.

thanks

Deepsea does putting in textures pretty easy in my opinion. IIRC you press F7 (or one of the F keys I forget) and find the button that says "Auto textures from BMP". Then you click it and you can pretty much figure it out from there, but there's a help file if you get lost.

(BTW my 3rd year at DW starts today!)

I have used XWE to import new flats for my wads, but I didn't know it could change textures.

With a flat, (ceiling or floor) I just rename the one I want to replace and add it to my wad with XWE. I tried this using textures, but they are ignored by the game.

Somewhere I read I needed to use DeHacked or Whacked to change textures and I still have no idea how to do this.

I'm using Corel Photo-Paint to create new textures. It has everything I need and a bit more (palette extraction, layer transparencies in 8-bit textures, wide amount of dithering options etc.)

I see boris hasn't said this yet so I might as well. Use the forum search. Trust me when I say this has to be about the 50th "How do I make custom textures and put them in my wad" post.

sorry. I was assuming that all available topics would be in the open threads. I had no idea about searching. :)

It is not exactly obvious to newbies where this forum search is.

Then I found and put in "How do I make custom textures?" and it returned nothing. (?)

Then I found and put in "How do I make custom textures?" and it returned nothing. (?)

Try just using a few words like "custom textures" in the search.