Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrew316

changing episode names

Is there a way to change the episode names in Doom? I mean like "Knee-Deep in the Dead" for example. When I want to edit it, it keeps going to Paint. Is there a program that can do this? Thank you.

Andrew

Ok, first say what editor you are using! Its really annoying when you dont state the editor or exactly what you are editing! Judging by what you said, I am assuming you are using wintex and are editing the graphic that says the edpisode name. Edit the wintex.ini to show the location of your graphics editing program, like Paint Shop Pro. Or you could extract the file with an editor such as XWE, edit it, then put it in your new wad.

andrew316 said:

Is there a way to change the episode names in Doom? I mean like "Knee-Deep in the Dead" for example. When I want to edit it, it keeps going to Paint. Is there a program that can do this? Thank you.

Andrew

Yep - save the graphic to a file (using Wintex), edit that file with whatever program you want to use, then load it up into your wad. (go to 'Guru only' then 'New entry', call it M_EPI1 - this is the name of the "Knee-Deep in the Dead" graphic - and then load your new graphic into that entry)

Hmm. sounds like you think its where you type what you want (i.e. change "knee deep in the dead" to "~") and it changes...

Thats not so, its not actually just typing, its all graphics (you have to draw the letters... hey how do you think fonts are made for comouters?), i dont know if you undersand that... but if you do, good, took me a while to get that too... hehe.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, or offencive, i am not trying to be like that. just mearly trying to help you if you are confused about it this way.

Edit: Oh and yes, refering to waht has been said, you have to then insert it in the wad and tell the engine what entry to replace... (yeah you gota replace the old graphic, stupid, i know.)

~Macro11_1

If your making it for jDoom only then you can just type it in. You can use different fonts, colours etc aswell.

andrew316 said:

Andrew

You can do it with a small wad file. (Keep in mind this is only for Zdoom, otherwise you'll need to do what the others said)

Open up a new one using XWE or whatever. And then make a new entry called MAPINFO. For editing the Knee Deep in the dead, just put only this in the MAPINFO lump:

episode e1m1
name "Knee-deep in the dead"
And it will automatically make the graphic for it as long as you use the mapinfo lump.

Remember, this is zdoom only. ;) Otherwise, it's editing graphics time.

42 minutes ago, Mr.Doggo said:

What about Gzdoom?

gzdoom is essentially zdoom. Also, why are you posting on a discussion that has been inactive for over 20 years now?

On 2/16/2024 at 1:52 PM, BUYXRAYS said:

gzdoom is essentially zdoom. Also, why are you posting on a discussion that has been inactive for over 20 years now?

idk im new here