Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom Marine

Vanilla Doom's Graphical Limits

I've noticed that all of the stock heights in Doom2.wad's is equal or less than 128 units, so I would think in order for any graphic lumps to be displayed correctly in vanilla Doom... They must be equal or less than 128 units tall... is this true for all cases? Or is there some special situation where the 128-height rule can be ignored...

Another question: how wide can an animated texture be before it goes haywire? So far, I saw 512 x 128 as the biggest working animated texture in doom2.exe, will anything go wrong if I made it wider... say... 1024 x 128? [I know about the 2^x patch rule for animated textures BTW]

I'm not sure about heights, I think its 128. Width is 1024. At least thats the size of wrap around skies. Also I don't know what this 2^patch thing is your talking about but I have 3 patches in use for "wfall#" for a WAD I'm working on.

The height limit depends on the graphic. If its a texture, it can be up to 128, but the patch can be higher. Some graphics, like the title screen and fonts, HAVE to be a certain height and width. As for your scrolling textures, I have no idea.

The height limitation can be basically completely avoided by making double sided lines with several different 128 tall textures and offsetting them accordingly higher and higher. Space each consecutive line 1-2 units from each other and it will look basically the same as having a taller than 128 unit texture that is however tall you want..

Btw Converted Doomer, i thoroughly enjoyed playing your deus vault.. Mind you, i didn't play it start to finish in single player, but i'm sure in Co-op it would be a blast.. Props to being different and interesting.. and i must say, you take the cake for making the best first level i've ever seen.

You've mapped before i assume.. in another game?

And no, vanilla doom does not support textures higher than 128.

After doing a little testing myself, I found that an animated texture can be up to 2048 units wide and still work in vanilla doom. This fact combined with the three unused animations (BLODGR, SLADRIP, WFALL), means most persons can cram all the animated graphics they want into their wad.