Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

over hyped

are you over hyping doom III? if so no matter what you will be disappionted.

fact is doom III will not be as big as a leap in technology as doom was. doom was such a big game because nobody really knew what to expect. back then FPS where rare and wolf3d like, useing that same or similar engine. however i am sure those who did get overhyped about doom in 1993 got disappionted to some degree. i havnt read any game mags in over 2 years. nor do i look for every doom III screen and online article. i do expect some of the game to look dated, most newer games will have that. after all they have been working on it for 4 plus years.

same with HL2... honestly vavle fucked up on their part. if they pull a duke4 they will be eternaly screwed.

Sephiroth said:

however i am sure those who did get overhyped about doom in 1993 got disappionted to some degree

And you know this for a fact, yes?

I stopped hyping Doom 3 ages ago. I just want to play the damn thing and get it over with now.

I've posted things before basically saying that Doom 3 is overhyped. By the time we get it, its not going to be anything spectacular. I'm not even bothering to save money towards getting it anymore, I figure some friend will get it and I'll borrow it long enough to beat it after they do. Seeing some of the games of the future, beyond Doom 3, I'm not that impressed with Doom 3 anymore. Whooptydoo, they remade Doom with some good graphics, so what? That's what I say now. They might have had me hooked a while back when it was still something amazing and held a spot on my "To Buy" list. Of course other things have had way more priority since then, so *shrugs* It's Id's loss in money on my part. Dumbasses.

I'm inclined to agree with you a little. I don't know what's going on at id, but this game should have been out a long time ago. It's kind of loosing it's "Holy sweatsocks! New doom, gotta have it!!1!" factor for me. I've seen a lot of reviews for some other games with different graphics engines and one in particular looks so much better than Doom 3. Doom 3 is starting to look out-dated before it's even released.

Also, I've seen some posts/reviews about how Far Cry's graphics were comparable to Doom 3. Well, I bought Far Cry on a whim after stumbling across the demo and was impressed with the graphics for it for about a week, tops. The long draw distances were cool; the way they did the vegetation was cool and the physics engine was fun to play around with but it wasn't really anything draw-dropping.

I didn't see any bump mapping (which is one of Doom 3's many selling points) at all in the game even though I've read that it was suppose to be there (or included in some future patch). But, I digress, who really cares about bump mapping when there's virtual displacement mapping? I saw that Unreal 3 technology demo and it looked very, very impressive.

A lot of credit goes to id for breathing life into the 3d person gaming genre but as with everything in the business world, there's always going to be someone who's going to try to do it bigger and better. I'd like to think that JC saw that Unreal video a while back or heard about the technology and decided to implement the displacement mapping in Doom 3 without making an announcement. That would give him an excuse for taking so long and would make the game look a ton better.

Okay, I've gona way off topic here.

EDIT: It's not a bad thing that technology is moving this fast, it's actually a great thing. I just wish these developers would put out some games so I can enjoy it all in a different medium than .mpg or .avi.

-E

Over hyped my arse.

Compare it to some of the crappy console games that get prime-time TV advertising, and D3, or indeed any pc game, is barely hyped at all outside the pc gaming community.

people still dont take PC games seriously(SP) thats why you hardly see any PC game advertised. even if that game out sells 95% of console games. think doom, quake series, unreal and unreal tornament series, RTCW ect. those out sold a great many popular console games. yes games like mario, pokemon, and stuff like that have sold well and in some cases more. but the fact is many high selling games are on PC, or to get the best experince you want to use the PC.

i am surprised i dont see alot of ads on TV for PC games. part of it could be the whole post columbine and 9/11 histeria

I forget what it actually was, but I was watching a (really tacky looking) UK video game awards show on TV a month or so ago and their nominations for the final award, the "Most Anticipated Game", included Doom 3. But what got the award? Driv3r. Gamespy has reviewed Driv3r and it got 2 points out of 5.

most raceing games suck, hands down. they might be fun the first few times you pay, but after that you never pick it up agian

what one is the worst i have seen. top gear rally for N64. race all maps in all conditions to get a new map, repeat the cycle to get another. and can someone please fire the fucking retard who made "snowy jungle" for christ sakes i DONT snow in a jungle!

fallowed by that need for speed underground. last time i check pavment doesnt reflect very well when dry. i am sick of this pop culture F&F shit. oh and the selection of the most overplayed songs was a touch of shit to an already shitty game

I think that Id should have keep the game under wraps for a lot longer untill it was like a year from the release. 4 years is just to fuckign long to stay hooked on without even playing, usually I get bored of games in a month and that is playing them, not waiting. I've been bored for 3 years 8 months.

Goliath said:

I think that Id should have keep the game under wraps for a lot longer untill it was like a year from the release. 4 years is just to fuckign long to stay hooked on without even playing, usually I get bored of games in a month and that is playing them, not waiting. I've been bored for 3 years 8 months.

It never use to be this way. It use to be you never knew a game was coming out until you saw it on the shelf at the video rental store. It was a better, simpler time.

-E

Another useless thread. Overhyped? Since when? In your own mind perhaps. You all know youre dying to get your grubby paws on this game, don't deny it. These here with negative attitudes are just downplaying it because they are frustrated the game isn't out yet.

Becuase it's Doom and because Id Software is making it, we expect great things and we shall get amazing things. I can't wait for the game to be on my computer so I can be scared poopless. 4 more weeks, I think I can last.

High

Over-hyped on this site yes, most normal gamers barely know about it..theyre all "OMG HALF LIEF 2!!!!!", and i'm all like "hey bitch, get the hell back in the kitchen and make me some pie, and why dont you..go and smoke crack, on my dads bed..with some guy..i dont even know!"

Compared to games like Halo 2 (UGH), and Half-Life 2 (BLEAGH), Doom 3 is getting barely any hype.

That's right.

Well, I think hype has picked up just a little lately, but Halo 2 (for instance) is listed as IGN's "top upcoming game in this genre" in the FPS field. I think DOOM 3 is third or maybe even fourth.

Can keep it that way for all I care. Have you guys even SEEN the type of people that play half-life? I'll be nice enough to not even mention halo's community... oh, my, GOD.

As for doom3 hype? yeah, right. Here I am sitting thinking about it probably more on average than sex, and all the media is like a year+ old.

Sephiroth said:

fallowed by that need for speed underground. last time i check pavment doesnt reflect very well when dry. i am sick of this pop culture F&F shit. oh and the selection of the most overplayed songs was a touch of shit to an already shitty game

Money hoes,
Cars & clothes,
That's where all my niggas roll.

Fuck Need For Speed underground pissed me off. I heard the unedited original version of the song, then I hear the edited version in the game but I still hear the uneditted version in my head. Now whenever I heard that damn song, I wanna go roll with my hoes and niggers. Which isn't such a bad thing I guess...

HL2 and halo 2 ARE over hyped. ill get HL2 for free from ATI and i'll get doom3 from work. as for halo 2, i might pick it up after the dust settles.

i HATE that god damn song! no, not cause i dont like rap, but because i have heard it so damn much. It got real old real fast for me. that was another reason i couldn't stand need for speed underground. i had to trun the sound off. I hear those songs at work every day, 15 times a day. so yes i AM sick of it.

Sephiroth said:

most raceing games suck, hands down. they might be fun the first few times you pay, but after that you never pick it up agian

dont generalize like that.... extreme g 2 for n64 kept me playing and unlocking for years.... awesome tracks, tons of stuff to do, etc...

I dont know about being over-hyped, but I do believe that with every new game release, the graphics engine is beginning to look more and more unimpressive.

For example, FarCry almost rivals Doom 3 in some indoor environments, so hopefully this wont be as big of a challenger to Doom 3's graphics as I expect....

Either way, though. The game is going to rule, thats for sure. Come on people, Id software is designing this game....

Have they ever really "failed" ?

Wolf 3d
Doom
Doom 2
Final Doom
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3

All great games - almost "perfect" - Im almost for sure Doom 3 will be a masterpiece...

Sephiroth said:

HL2 and halo 2 ARE over hyped. ill get HL2 for free from ATI and i'll get doom3 from work. as for halo 2, i might pick it up after the dust settles.

I do agree with those two games you have named.

HL2 - delay, delay, delay, delay, delay, delay, delay! Also, not to mention, the whole story of the game just doesnt really "fascinate" me, and in my opinion, the graphics just look "average"....the funniest thing is that I am ALSO getting a free copy from ATI, and I STILL do not anticipate this game that much. Bleh....

Halo 2 - probably the biggest question in my mind is "how" this game got so hyped up. Come on people, wake up. This game is nothing but HALO with more multiplayer add-ons and a brand-new campaign. From what i've seen, there has been barely ANY changes to the game engine, the graphics look the same, enemies look the same, vehicles look the same, textures look the same, weapons look the same........woopty-fucking-doo !

:)

Halo 2 gets bumpmapping, online play... and mad fun gameplay improvements. Doom 3 is for scaring the shit out of yourself, Halflife 2 is for the mod community, and Halo 2 is like a party game you can just pickup and go when you feel like it.

Sephiroth said:
same with HL2... honestly vavle fucked up on their part. if they pull a duke4 they will be eternaly screwed. [/B]

Well said... at least D3 doesn't have so many lies surrounding it.