Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ste43nou

joystick

Sure, it's called the XBox lololo

In any event, I severely doubt that the PC version will have any native joystick support, why would anyone in their right mind want a joystick over a mouse+keyboard. It's not a flight sim.

If Doom 3 supports DirectInput (mega duh), then it will obviously support joysticks for those few strange individuals who actually want to use one.

Ok joysticks are lame but dual-analog-joypads are awesome. Doom 3 will definately have support for both.

Epyo said:

well you have obviously never tried it.

Yep, tried it, it's hopeless (unless you're talking games consoles then one has no choice- exept the Dreamcast which had a mouse AND keyboard available for use with Q3 et all).

Joystick vs mouse and keys is a lot like keys vs mouse and keys.

Joystick SEVERELY limits your agility. Even if you up the sensitivity on your analog pad(s) (assuming you have one in the first place), your thumbs cannot even begin to compare with the agility that using your full hand (on a mouse) gives you.

It's a handy cap. I challenge you to a game of Quake III, where you use the joystick -

We'll see who wins that one. Ha.

In my opinion it doesn't matter what's better, it matters what the most fun is. With buttons on a keyboard you can't control how fast you move unless you use the shift key. With the addition of a mouse, you can control how fast you look, but moving still is clumsy. With dual analog you can control speed in both moving and looking. Well to each his own I suppose. Good joypads usually cost a pretty penny, and finding the right one is no easy task either.

Finding one that doesn't break after a fortnight of Doom playing is even harder.

Lengis said:

The real question is.......

track ball vs mouse.......

Mouse wins.

hell no I really like track ball I guess im lazy and don't feel like moving my hand all that much.

Lengis said:

The real question is.......

track ball vs mouse.......

Mouse wins.

Funny you would mention that.

Hi Jango, from ZDaemon, uses trackball, and there are only a handful of players that have ever beaten him.

He's extremely good. And I've heard that railgun aiming in Quake III is better with a trackball.

Who knows... maybe it's just underexplored in modern games.

Trackball has to be better, definately. I dont even use one and I can agree with that. Your fingers have much more dexterity than a clumsy combination of your wrist, elbow and shoulder.

chilvence said:

Trackball has to be better, definately. I dont even use one and I can agree with that. Your fingers have much more dexterity than a clumsy combination of your wrist, elbow and shoulder.

That's what I thought until I actually tried one... hated it. Each to their own...

never used a track ball, cant say i ever will. unless someone i know has one and I play a good game on it. just that i dont see any benifit to spending alot on a track ball when i have never used one

keyboard/mouse beats game pads. you cant get more movement out of a mouse/keyboard.

if you could use one in quake i am sure you can use on in doom III

The IBM thinkpad mouse in the middle of the keyboard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything you guys have been talking about

heh, i used to wind EVERY game of doom II i was challenged too EVER on my laptop

Well it was the fact that it was so close to the wasd setup (its right there in the middle of the ghy keys iirc), it Fit perfectly with the way i play FPS's

Goliath said:

hell no I really like track ball I guess im lazy and don't feel like moving my hand all that much.

Yea, the tackball rocks! I really gotta try that on D3 :P

IMHO

So the answer is that none of you who have replied has the foggiest idea of whether or not a joystick can be installed but you would rather bust his chops for wanting to use a joystick. Now the question was "is a joystick supported in DOOM3 or did Carmick (who is on record as saying via Q3 that joysticks made the game too easy) still being repressive where new technology is concerned? If you don't have an answer that's productive like "yes" you can install a joystick by doing this and adding it to DirectInput then I would suggest that rather than showing your naïveté and spouting off, you let someone who has a real answer and might be able to help him out do so- Hijacking a thread is a FNG thing.

ahaha I spelled definitely wrong.

Anyway, when nobody knows the answer to something, the thread will be hijacked. Can't just let it sit there you know. I guess in this case, nobody wanted him to be dissapointed if it didn't have joystick support, so they tried to insult him into just forgetting about it. That way he would like Doom 3 no matter what.

hund_ said:

this is a joystick emulator that works with most games under win9x and all with winxp.
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA016823/joytokey/english.html

this is what i use for all games including doom3.for the record most people that use a joystick also use a mouse.

my config[i'm right handed]
right hand joystick=strafe+forward,back
left hand mouse=look+turn

Rite on man Thats how me and my peeps do it too :) You cant beat that analog movement!!