Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

The /newstuff Chronicles #187

Daniel said:

After the superficial review of Female Doom...

What did you expect? It was almost guaranteed with this WAD that the quality of the maps was totally overshadowed by the cheesy sprites. Even though I like the maps I find this WAD very awkward to play so unless UI have some time to revert it back to more 'normal' monsters it's going to collect dust on my HD...

Ichor said:

Ok, I just got finished playing wimpy_x. I didn't mind the theme inconsistency. This is Heretic, after all. There's only 178 textures and 82 flats to choose from. I tend to overlook the texture alignments, except from my own maps. However, I do not like some of those one way doors. For example, the bars in the beginning can only be opened once from that trigger (they open permanently later). If you don't run through, you're stuck. Also, those two one way doors right at the beginning have to be opened, or you'll end up stuck on the other side, because of another one way door that closes behind you. The best way to fix that is to just remove those two doors that you can open at the beginning. You won't be able to open the other doors anyway, so there's really no use for them.

Now for the plus side. Thr gameplay is decent enough, but a bit cramped in places. I was conserving ammo until I got the Gauntlets. I also notices that if you look up and use the Gauntlets, you can kill everything except the Maulotaurs without them even touching you. I did like the fact that finding the blue key made that puzzle a lot easier, but it wasn't impossible without it. Same with the fight with D'Sparil. Also, the first time playing it, I didn't find the bag of holding or fight the Maulotaurs. The fight with D'Sparil was still fairly easy, but two things: One, maybe remove some of those pillars or spread them out a bit. Two, make the exit just a little conspicuous. If I had not found the map, I would not have found it unless I checked every pillar, which is not my idea of fun. And if you're worried about people leaving before D'Sparil is killed, just make the map for E3M8, where the wall would lower when he dies.

Well, Sorry about the one-way doors. That was intentional, just for no reason, really. I think you're right about the pillars. There's too many. You're also right about the exit. It's a bit too hard to find. Well, thanks for taking the time to review that wimpy map. :P

In A World, there's something weird about the area near the east side stairs in the big square room, with the four lava pits. At least JDoom doesn't seem to like it, it crashes, or actually locks up everytime i even jump in those lava pits on the east side.
Didn't have any problems on Zdoom though.

edit: this is the place i'm talking about, those stairs and lava pits on the east side, or right side of the room when you first time enter it.

http://www.doomworld.com/images/newstuff/187/ina_04.png

stoned said:

In A World, there's something weird about the area near the east side stairs in the big square room, with the four lava pits. At least JDoom doesn't seem to like it, it crashes, or actually locks up everytime i even jump in those lava pits on the east side.
Didn't have any problems on Zdoom though.

edit: this is the place i'm talking about, those stairs and lava pits on the east side, or right side of the room when you first time enter it.

http://www.doomworld.com/images/newstuff/187/ina_04.png

That is indeed strange, but luckily you've already given yourself a fine answer to this strange "problem": Don't use jDoom with this wad! ;)

I find it quite easy to hit switches that clearly weren't meant to be hit until much later whilst playing In a World.
For example, the outside area with the mancs, pain elemental, rocket launcher and rockets, and the big blue brick tower with the archvile. There's a gray switch there, and it's blocked off by some metal bars.
However, I found it easy to do a trick jump and land right in front of the switch and hit it. Also you can hop down into the slime and activate the switch from there.
This doesn't really take away from the map, as it's very well done, but still...
Shame on you Chris!

DooMBoy said:

...However, I found it easy to do a trick jump and land right in front of the switch and hit it. Also you can hop down into the slime and activate the switch from there.
This doesn't really take away from the map, as it's very well done, but still...
Shame on you Chris!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The next wad will be jam packed full of impassible linedefs! Grrr.... ;) On another note, performing this particular trick won't do the player any good since the floor in the exit tower isn't lowered before you've used the teleport on the high positioned red structure. The same trigger that lowers those bars you're also talking about. So shame on you! :)

I got stuck in Wimpy_X because of one way doors.. that's more than I care to test any map.

I've played In a World all the way through now. The gameplay is hectic but not frustrating at all, I found it just right on HMP for a first run, even when I was at very low ammo levels sometimes. Layout is what I like most about this map, it's complex without being annoying, it flows well and I was never lost.

thanks for making this, and the new stuff on your site looks great too!

Daniel Level Serie 01 seems to require the jump key (at least I couldn´t find another way to pass map01), although the author claims in the txt file that the wad doesn´t need a source port.

Thanks, Captain! :P

kristus said:

I got stuck in Wimpy_X because of one way doors.. that's more than I care to test any map.

Okay... that's it... I'm removing those doors at the start and changing up a few things, then I'm uploading a new version. Hopefully some people would like it then. :P

Well, I gave In A World another try. This time, I didn't run out of ammo .. instead, I ran out of health, very slowly. There's hardly any at all, even after huge multi-room traps. It seems Chris has played/tested his own map so many times he doesn't need alot of health to survive it .. and has memorized all of the traps as well :/

Also, some people might like the wierd texture usage, but I feel it looks like a mess. It's different, yeah, but different isn't nessecarily better :P

Other than that the gameplay was good .. lots of stuff to shoot at.

I had a lot of health troubles with in a world too, when i got to the bit where you press a switch and revenatnts and imps teleport in in front of the switch and behind you i had 7% health, and i was only on HMP, and must have got there by blind luck cause when i tried again i couldnt even get there, so i gave up and deleted it

After the superficial review of Female Doom...

No chance that it might actually have been a bad wad then?, well, as everyone has said, if it didnt have the stupid sprites and sounds and the vile storyline, it could have been New world 2, and that got wad of the week last time..sort it out!

Hm, cava.wad is fun with IDKFA, just pick out a building and take it over using the BFG, then dart out into the streets to start infights and rush back to hide in your cleared-out building, when you're ready, scrape together all the plasma and health you can and capture another building for more supplies, also, make sure you wipe out as many archviles as possible from neighbouring buildings, or they will make your life very difficult

Also, semi-related..could Wad of the week possibly be made an 'official' award, so that every /newstuff the reviwer picks thier personal favorite out, that way winners of it could boast about it in thier next text file, if nothing else..

dont you hate it when windows decides to suddenly make it so that any text you type 'behind' other text wipes out what is in front instead of pushing it forwards?

deathbringer said:
Also, semi-related..could Wad of the week possibly be made an 'official' award, so that every /newstuff the reviwer picks thier personal favorite out, that way winners of it could boast about it in thier next text file, if nothing else..

Best to keep it unofficial, I think. Some reviewers prefer not to bother, and sometimes there's a week when several reviewers are involved (how do you choose a single favourite then?). Also, in some weeks there are several good wads of roughly equal merit (and perhaps of very different types) - I think it is then fairest just to call them all "highly recommended" or whatever.

deathbringer said:

dont you hate it when windows decides to suddenly make it so that any text you type 'behind' other text wipes out what is in front instead of pushing it forwards?

You must have hit the Insert key inadvertently. Hit it again to change it back.

I don´t know why but the titlepic to riptear
made me laugh my ass off, Pottgiesser which
comic is that ?
The map itself is certainly better than the rewiew,
good for a quick blast :)

Tell me a list of wads all of you love. Here is mine:

- knee-deep in the dead
- plutonia
- the darkening 2
- alien vendetta
- egyptian doom 2
- deus ex machina

maybe i forgot something.
how about doomworld.com make a cd with some of the topwads? in the name of the community, of course.

Daniel said:

how about doomworld.com make a cd with some of the topwads? in the name of the community, of course.

What would be the advantage over the /idgames archives. Any CD would only be a small subset of that. Why not burn the entire thing on one DVD?

Daniel said:

Tell me a list of wads all of you love.

I haven´t played so much because i´m still somewhat
new to Doom, but from what i played:
-Eternal Doom
-Decades (can a map be more fun? )
-Hell Revealed
-Memento Mori 1 (maps 28/29)
-Plutonia, the later maps
-Dmonfear megawad (gave me the John-Wayne-feeling)
-Allhell 5maps ("hero saves us" rofl)
-Crimson Tomb

Btw Daniel i like the Armas32.wad very much,the bfg
is the overkill :)

Make a CD with the best is cool; i separated some great wads and put some source ports in the directory, it's easy to play any level with any port. Also there is a weapon directory, so you can change Doom weapons every time you want. Just adding (eternal.wad and and armas16.wad for example). It is very cool.
Thanks! Armas32.wad has a special bfg, but i had to delete the pain elemental :P
I didn't like very much eternal.wad - it has beautiful levels, very good gameplay, i know - it's because the maps are very large, and I don't have patience to play...
Another wads I like: anubius.wad, castle nevermore (great!), darkeden.wad, Inferno (doom 1).

I'm working on Female Doom; it will be called New World 2. I'll waste those sprites and let only the scenario trees. I'll have to put some things again, any suggestion to make the gameplay more fun? (like quantity of ammo, health, kind of monsters used, put all weapons in each level or increasing difficulty...)

Wow i've been gone a while... anyway
Cyb: No i did not make the metro maps. I made the tlabs.zip(Not in the newstuff anymore)level. It didn't get reviewed last week so I thought it would get reviewed this week. O well

on Daniel's set, i cannot find a way to exit map 12. I cannot find the blue key anywhere.

b00mb0dy said:

on Daniel's set, i cannot find a way to exit map 12. I cannot find the blue key anywhere.

Yeah, I was playing that map yesterday and couldn´t find the blue key anywhere either. Do you know why? Because in the map it is placed in that little room with the Cyberdemon but its flag is marked to the key to appear only in multiplayer mode :/ Take a look in an editor and see for yourself. I had to type in ZDoom´s console "give bluecard" to be able to finish the map. And this map has another flaw: the teleporter in that staircase which should lead you to that area below (that hall with the other rooms) is not working. In that case I have no idea why; maybe an issue with the node-building? Again I took a look in an editor and that linedef is "WRe: teleport" type so it´s alright. I thought it was ZDoom so I tried using PRBoom but it didn´t work either. Remedy? IDCLIP!
All that said, I´d like to ask Daniel: are you sure this map was fully tested? :p Maybe in a coop game, but what about the teleporter not working?

Hey! Bomb uses graphics from ZooM! The chaingun replacement is Espi's stolen hard work zig rifle. =(

Nanami said:

Hey! Bomb uses graphics from ZooM! The chaingun replacement is Espi's stolen hard work zig rifle. =(

*gasp*

NO PROBALO!

Helping you get a leg up on the pile.