Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

A little help here

OK, I can't figure out how to do this on my own, so I'm asking here.
Let's say I have a hallway. On the left side of this hallway there's a lite3, and it's bright and blinking against the other side of the hallway. Now, on the other side of the hallway (facing the lite3), let's say there's a console hanging down 64 units from the ceiling.
Now, what I want to know is this: how would I get this lowered ceiling sector and the rest of the blinking light sector to blink at the same time?
Hopefully I've not confused anyone :P
EDIT: I guess I should have been more clear - I was wanting to know about this because of a level I'm doing for Doom.exe, no port required (at least right now).

you can't, unless the sectors were merged. Other than that, it can't be done. Each sector has its own random blink time, which makes it impossible to blink in sequence. Unless you script it.

Ah, I see. I was wanting to see how it was done, if it could be done.

If you wanted to get technical you could make an acs script that would change the light value of those sectors at the same time, though at random intervuls, then change it back to the original

just a thought

If you use Boom/ZDoom and the sector with the lowered ceiling has no wall textures itself you can tag it with Transfer ceiling/floor light level specials from the blinking sector. But this only works for flats, not for walls.

Is there a way you can some how fiddle this in the original .exe? I have had soft lighting made of multiple sectors before and I could get them all to blink in time (using the Sector Effect 1 type of blink). But when I added a bit more to the level, and rebuilt the nodes, it went out of sequence again. I am guessing there is some way that doom handles when the blink cycle starts (maybe something to do with sector numbers or something, but that is a complete guess), and maybe you could try and manipulate this to get them blinking in time... I dunno, maybe adding some dummy sectors in the void? Though again, I'm really just guesing.