Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber-menace

Cakewalk Tutorial

Ok I know this may be in the wrong forum, but I put it here because I am hoping to make something suitable for my maps from this thing.

I want to know if there is a decently detailed Cakewalk tutorial out there. I am having trouble with it, I don't even know how to make a stacato note, and editing an existing note is a pain too, furthermore I don't know how to put notes on certain beats. Is there a decent tutorial for it out there?

- Drag Cakewalk folder to Recycle Bin
- Right click (this is important)
- Choose the Empty Recycle Bin tab
- Proceed to Guitar Center and purchace Cubase, Fruityloops or even a Casio midi controller and a freeware midi sequencer.

Cakewalk isn't worth the time, effort or the massive ammounts of memory it devours for the underwhelming results. Cubase > * for software sequencers. Personally, I'd pick up an E-MU Prodikeys sequencer (if you're not really full boar into production) and just get a lame version of Fruityloops 3 second-hand for cheap. The Midi-Out function doesn't eat too much memory (although if you're using a USB midi cable -> any midi controlled drum machine/synth you're looking at a 1/2 second delay) and it's really easy to use.

If you want to do more than midi, Cubase is the way to go.. Cubase is actually more of a learning curve than Cakewalk, but the results are amazing.

Ed said:

- Drag Cakewalk folder to Recycle Bin
- Right click (this is important)
- Choose the Empty Recycle Bin tab
- Proceed to Guitar Center and purchace Cubase, Fruityloops or even a Casio midi controller and a freeware midi sequencer.
to use.

One seriously wrong thing with this... It should start out:

- Open Start menu
- Open Cakewalk menu
- Click un-install

Because your way makes the registery think that Cakewalk is still there.

Unfortunately I have a really terrible sound card, and by the sounds of things at least one of the programs you were talking about requires the sound card to have a built in MIDI mapper. Mine doesn't, it's just that awful. I could use something like Rosegarden in Linux and other things if I had that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm not sure what FLStuio (http://www.flstudio.com/ , was fruityloops) requires off the top of my head, but they do have a nearly unlimited demo version you can play around with. The only restriction is that you can't save your WIP in the FL format, only WAV or MP3, so you have to do everything in one session. (Think photoshop that only lets you save PNG.)

(There might be liscencing issues with commercial or noncommercial release of what you make with it, but I haven't dug that far yet.)

(Side note: If i understand the site, you're better off buying it online as opposed to boxed in store if you should decide to do so.)

I've never heard of cakewalk though, so I can't say anything about it, unfortunatly (or perhaps fortunatly).