Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

dumbs you HATED to play

no we have seen, underrated games and over rated games. but what about games you hated with a passion?

here are mine

reactor - a game for the 2600 atari. i played it when i was like 10 years old. this game made no sence at all. a slowly groing circle in the center. going to it would kill you and you could not run. that was all that was on the screen.

king of the mountian - another 2600 game. WTF is this? how do you play? WTF? those are the questions you ask when seing it.

top gear ralley - N64 game, good graphics, but that is it. the most repetitive gameplay ever. play all unlocked maps to get a new map. not only play them all but play various conditions. normal, night, rainy and snowy. this lead to combos that made no sence. like snowy jungle or rainy desert, while it does rain in a deseert it aint nothing like that

Need for speed:undergound - they went too far with graphics here. why oh why is the pavment reflective? in the real world that only happens at an angle and when it is raining. made things a bitch to see in some races. also throug in the overplayed and over hyped F&F culture shit and the days most overplayed shit songs and you get a shit game.

Gunvalkrie - now this games is a shame. a arcade style 3rd person game for the X-Box. something that is lacking in todays game world, arcade style games. however you got only so far. one map could not be in any way beaten. unless there was some bizarre trick that no person would think of. i could find no walkthrus for that map either. that is what ruined the game, that single map.

Omikron: nomad soul - a game that could have been good. if only the makers had not realeased a game that was alpha quaility. the shear number of bugs and a few untested ideas made this game impossible. the 1st person shooter portion of the game was terrible and barly playable. the game could not be quit wthout a BSOD. the game would randomly cause a BSOD. and a few unfogivable graphics or animation glitches. and example of made execution of a grea idea. the game had a cool setting and story, as well as good gameplay elements. like a fighting, think MK, portion. on top of the mostly 3rd person. also you could become many different charectars with different abilities and such

Kirby64 - I put that in the overrated games thread even though it was not overrated at all. That game sucked big fat dicks. The sound made me want to go around with a chainsaw killing 2 year olds (pretty mean, eh?). God I hate that game. It's about the only bad Kirby thing besides the show (oh good lord...). They should of at least made the characters talk and made the sound cool. Jesus Christ...that game...

Heh...the show sucks worse...

ET for the Atari. Worst game ever. No explanation needed.

Star Voyager for the NES. This was the first NES game I got that wasn't included with the machine. It was so bad that I very nearly gave up on the NES altogether and go back to my Atari. You're flying around from empty sector to empty sector looking for certain parts which may or may not be on the planets that you can visit (which is just a scene of a cheesy spaceship decending with an Atari-like background onto a bar at the bottom of the screen (I guess that was supposed to represent the ground). A few seconds later, the 'ship' takes off again, and you're back into boring space. Every so often, you might get into a battle, which was only mildly exciting, but the novelty wore off quickly. The best thing about this game is the black hole, which invariably sucks you in and mercifully ends the game.

Section Z for the NES. While this game was actually fun, there was one tiiiinny, but fatal flaw. There was no way to get to the last level and beat the game! I was all excited as I played it and having a grand ol' time, but once I reached the last few levels, my excitement slowly gave way to boredom and frustration as I kept replaying the same few levels over and over again. The final straw occurred several months later. I found some information that allowed me to reach a new level, and I rushed to my TV, blew the dust off of the game, and played it with renewed anticipation...only to find that the level STILL DOES NOT LEAD TO THE FINAL LEVEL! I then imitated the alien queen in Aliens and tore the game asunder and heaved the pieces across the room.

Wizardry for the Apple 2E. While I enjoyed walking around mazes and mapping them out on graph paper, I could not stand losing my players as fast as I could create them. They start out with one foot in the grave anyway, and they die even if someone sneezes on them. After a time, I gain a couple of levels where I can actually survive some of the lowest level monsters, but then it gets boring and I don't gain experience (and especially gold) fast enough anymore, so I decide to go deeper into the maze and tangle with some next higher level monsters. Then I happen to run across some poisous slimes or...something. Not fun in the least. If someone is poisoned, there is virtually no chance that they will make it out alive. Every other step, they lose a point until he dies, and their health is still quite low, so... Anyway, I finally managed to get to the second floor down, and things are going rather well. Then I reach the third floor, and I come across these pits. They come up without warning and you lose a lot of health if you fall in. Now here's the fun part. You can enounter enemies while you're in the pit, and once you beat them, you automatically fall into the pit AGAIN!, thus losing even more health. Throw in the fact that it's a maze where the floor sometimes rotates, and you have a seriously frustrating game. I quit when I kept getting my best players decapitated by various monsters down on the fourth floor.

Now, Wizardry for a NES emulator and Wizardry 5 for the SNES are much better and I managed to beat both of them. By the way, near the end of Wizardry 5, there is a big, red blob of a monster called a Cacodemon.

Sephiroth said:

Gunvalkrie - now this games is a shame. a arcade style 3rd person game for the X-Box. something that is lacking in todays game world, arcade style games. however you got only so far. one map could not be in any way beaten. unless there was some bizarre trick that no person would think of. i could find no walkthrus for that map either. that is what ruined the game, that single map.

Omikron: nomad soul - a game that could have been good. if only the makers had not realeased a game that was alpha quaility. the shear number of bugs and a few untested ideas made this game impossible. the 1st person shooter portion of the game was terrible and barly playable. the game could not be quit wthout a BSOD. the game would randomly cause a BSOD. and a few unfogivable graphics or animation glitches. and example of made execution of a grea idea. the game had a cool setting and story, as well as good gameplay elements. like a fighting, think MK, portion. on top of the mostly 3rd person. also you could become many different charectars with different abilities and such

You suck. Gun Valkyrie is challenging and fun, and I almost beat the whole game so I have no idea what you're talking about. It a very original game and a great concept.

Nomad Soul runs great on the Dreamcast, I can't confirm these problems on the PC, but it was a little sketchy in some places. Still an excellent game with a good story and cool characters.

I played the Ultimate Wizardry Archives version of Wiz1. I love it, but I hear the Apple version is much different.

Anyway, here's my picks:

Final Fantasy 7. Okay, how the heck did THIS win GameFAQ's "Best game of all time" poll (More important, how did it beat Chrono Trigger)? This game is tedious, furthermore it's designed so that the player CAN'T LOSE! I like my games to be a challenge. I also don't like it when my game thinks it's a movie and spends more time with expositionary dialogue than it does with actual gameplay.

Chrono Cross. Chrono Trigger was a freakin' god of games, so I wanted this game to be at least NEAR as good. Unfortunately the designers, instead of doing everything that made Trigger good, actually did the exact OPPOSITE of everything that made Trigger good, resulting in one crappy ass game.

Batman: The Video Game for NES. I don't see why people think this is such a good game. The controls are irritating, the design is often outright unfair... there's actually certain enemies that can only be beaten by using a programming naunce (the big jumping things... you have to keep them from coming totally on-screen otherwise they'll be all over you). This game is nuts.

JamesEightBitStar said:

Batman: The Video Game for NES. I don't see why people think this is such a good game. The controls are irritating, the design is often outright unfair... there's actually certain enemies that can only be beaten by using a programming naunce (the big jumping things... you have to keep them from coming totally on-screen otherwise they'll be all over you). This game is nuts.

Loser, Batman for the NES is a great game. The controls are tight, and the ability to jump off walls is implemented flawlessly and doesn't feel gimmicky. The graphics are VERY good for an old NES game of its time. Also, the game is very difficult, but definitely NOT impossible. I've made it to the Joker's lair several times, so it can be be done without too much trouble. A very worthy game of any NES collection, and still fun to play today.

No. Those jumping enemies in Batman that JamesEightBitStar described.

Unreal 2: I finished this one in the hopes that it would get better, or at least partially satisfying, by the end. BZZT.

Splinter Cell Pandora Tommorow: It's a similar story here. The plot was less engrossing than the original and the ending was just as bad... also, these are the kind of games that I'd only play once, then never EVER go back to, even for nostalgia. For that reason, I'm not looking forward to the third game at all. Again, I just finished this one in the hopes that things would get interesting by the end.

Nitro Family: A new, rather simple shoot-em-up game. I only played the demo, and that's all I could stand.

I don't know what the name of it is called, but It's a PS2 game where you choose between 2 (and one secret!) ninjas or martial artists or jap fanboy fap material or something.

it's a 3rd person shooter too, oh, how I hate them. No, it's more of a 3rd person 'sneaker' as the game rewards you for stealth kills. Set in some far away mysical "asian/far east" land. There are demons too

wretched story, pointless and mundane tasks to acomplish, crappy controls, crappy graphics, also the game is too fucking dark to see much in many places (the whole game).

No, I didn't buy it, my friend had it and refused to play anthing else. Except maybe soul calibur 2. And I hate that because of him too. I don't talk to him anymore.

Scuba Steve said:

Loser, Batman for the NES is a great game. ... A very worthy game of any NES collection, and still fun to play today.

I've beaten it a few times. Dunno that I would call it a great game, but it's certainly not bad.

Arioch said:

I've beaten it a few times. Dunno that I would call it a great game, but it's certainly not bad.

What about good?

Jet Set Radio, and Jet Set Radio Future (first one for the DC, 2nd for X-Box). Ok the cell-shaded thing started with these games really, before them I don't recall seeing it. But these games sucked ass, seriously. They were fun for the first 5 minutes, but then I realized how annoying the music was minus a few songs in the Soundtrack such as the remix of Rob Zombie's "Dragula", and how stupid the entire game looked. Waste of money, a god damn waste of money.

Dark Age of Camelot: My girlfriend got me started playing it. I thought it was more work than play.

Diablo II: Like every Blizzard game, by the time it was released, the graphics were outdated and it was full of cheats, there was no fun in it. But I waited so long for it I just had to play it the whole way through.

Also, I thought Batman for the SNES was pretty damn cool at the time.

-E

Amaster said:

Fester's Quest. I was never able to get anywhere in that damned game.

At first I was thinking the same thing, but after I found the way through, it was actually a decent game. The only thing I couldn't stand was the fact that your weapon is practically useless unless it's fully powered, and it's very hard to maintain that status for very long.

Turn-based RPGs. I find them extremely boring. You walk around on an overworld map then BAM! Some monsters pop out of fucking thin air. The "action" sequences are not. You just stand there hacking and casting spells and they always seem to hit unless someone casts a "Evade" spell or something. Then, when it's your turn to get hit, you just stand there taking the blow. I could understand if it were melee combat, but if you see a giant ass fireball heading in your direction, move out of the way!

The hell with the Pokemon and Final Fantasy games. I'm sure they kick ass in the graphics and storyline departments, but I cannot stand their gameplay.

HWGuy said:

Pokemon [...] kick ass in the graphics and storyline departments

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Warcraft 3 -- Too many reasons to mention
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault -- Linear, boring, regurgitated copycat game
Diablo II Expansion Pack -- Corruption ahoy; no gameplay balance whatsoever
SimCity 4 -- Nothing to addict the player, only frustrate the player; ugly and shoddy; unbearably bad "humor"
Half-Life *.* -- Linear and boring
Need for Speed *.* -- Physics suck, killing all fun

Use3D said:

You suck. Gun Valkyrie is challenging and fun, and I almost beat the whole game so I have no idea what you're talking about. It a very original game and a great concept.

Nomad Soul runs great on the Dreamcast, I can't confirm these problems on the PC, but it was a little sketchy in some places. Still an excellent game with a good story and cool characters.

no i did like gun valkyrie. i just could never figure parts of it out. controls on a standard X-box controler sucked. it was a good arcade style game. just i finaly got fustrated with one of the levels and finaly gave up. i traded it in for turkok evolution, which did suck. also when i bought it came with no instructions. it is $15 at work i might pick it up agian. this time with instructions.

as for nomad soul, i liked the story and such but the PC version sucked ass. its installer always crashed, except 2 times. it could have done without the 1st person mode. and the game would give you a BSOD when you quit. i havnt tried the DC version, and i guess i should get it. i really wanted to se how the game ended. but in only got as far as the uplink level.

Heretic
A rip off of doom. Boring level design. Repetitive

Hexen2
Extremely annoying puzzles

Blake Stone
Repetitive. Using modified wolf3d engine (ie: no variation in ceiling and floor heights)

ZZT
Extremly sucky graphics

Numbermind said:

Sorry, I've never been forced to play a game I hated.

It's hard not to make yourself play a game after being stupid enough to drop $60 on it.