Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

Is IDMUS a cheat!?

I know this thread seems stupid but I gotta know. Is IDMUS a cheat? It has the ID tag before it but I don't think just simply changing the music is so cheaterful. Is it a cheat or not?

simple answer to a simple question. NO, never. music has nothing to do with it. also idympos isnt a cheat

Sephiroth said:

also idympos isnt a cheat

Heh, I never heard of that one before.

I guess it's not such a cheat. Now I won't feel guilty using it in my no cheating files.

doomaddict said:

That's because it is IDMYPOS, not IDYMPOS.

Still never heard of it.

cyber-menace said:

The funny thing is I think IDMUS is still not allowed in Co-Op or Deathmatch as if it were a cheat.

That's because it is handled by the cheat code. In purely technical terms it is a cheat after all!

I forget which source port it is, but it just has a console command to change the music instead. I think someone constantly changing the music may cause lag to the server however, that is, if the cheat affects all players.

cyber-menace said:

I forget which source port it is, but it just has a console command to change the music instead.

ZDoom?

Anyway, I don't think changing the music is cheating.

ZDoom does have a music console command. Others should, too. Normally this is one of the first commands to be implemented.

ironicly in deathmatch games with zdoom you could do other, "cheating". exmple being the SV_Gravity (i thinks thats it)n i am sure there where many other things you could do

It's not a cheat. Think of it as a console command. I admit that I use it ver very very often. Some tunes are really annoying, while others are real addictive. And I just can't play any WAD to an annoying tune :P

It's fine as the intermission music, but I could never get used to it playing all throughout an entire map.

Ichor said:

The only time I use it is when I'm playing E2M3.

Understandable. I always played Doom1 with a little PWAD that contained D_E1M5 as a replacement for it.

I might have felt just a little different if the first time I played Doom was on the SNES, where the music for E2M3 (E2M2 on SNES?) was something completely different.

Graf Zahl said:

Understandable. I always played Doom1 with a little PWAD that contained D_E1M5 as a replacement for it.

Haha I was just listening to that :D

Anyway, why not just listen to the music you like in the background? I ripped all of Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom's music, into my music library.

Job said:

Still never heard of it.

Unless you're being sarcastic...

IDMYPOS (my position) displays the X and Y coordinates of the player.

Because it doesnt really do anything to help the player unfairly it could be said that it isnt a cheat. However, the code to drive it is with all the other cheat codes, so I technically consider it a cheat.

Basically I consider it a "cheat code" but the effect it has isnt really "cheating" at anything. Same with IDMYPOS.

Ichor said:
It's fine as the intermission music, but I could never get used to it playing all throughout an entire map.

Hmm, strange... to me it sounds better as map music than as the intermission.

It may be too loud as background music. I tend to change it to E1M5 or E1M7, which seems to be much more fitting for that map.

insertwackynamehere said:

Anyway, why not just listen to the music you like in the background? I ripped all of Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom's music, into my music library.

My favorite car CD is a collection of computer game music. ;-)

insertwackynamehere said:

Dude, did you rip them all into MIDIs or into MP3s?
I've found tons of DOOM MIDIs, but I could barely find any good DOOM MP3s. In fact, I've only managed to get like 11 good MP3s so far... but I want to have so much more, damn it!
If your files are MP3s, could you please zip up the ones from Final Doom, and send them to me as an email attachment?

The only Doom games I really feel the need to change the music on are Doom 2 and Plutonia (since plutonia just resuses Doom2's music, meh), since that music is aweful for the most part. I usually load up this PSX Doom music wad I have.

Ichor said:

The only time I use it is when I'm playing E2M3.

I use E2M2 for E2M3, as that's what it was on the SNES version of Doom a long time ago.

You know what's weird is vanilla Doom allows the use of idclev## and iddt on nightmare but not idmus##.

Now iddt is definately a cheat, although now that I think of it... With monsters respawning and being considerably faster, it's wise to avoid them and conserve your ammo and health. With things shown on the map you could possibly avoid large groups moving around through level very well. It might make a good premise for a level designed to play like that. Maybe have a goal of quarantining groups of monsters that are impossible to beat.