Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vile1011

Explosions

Is there any way to spawn a rocket explosion in ZDoom? I need things to blow up dammit! Since the rocket explosion(or any explosion for that matter) isn't an actual thing, and doesn't have a thing number in zdefs.acs, I have a feeling that this will be impossible unless I make a new sprite. Or is it?

I dont know much aboutn zdoom editing, but doesnt a DECORATE lump let you make new things? if it does, make a 'barrel' that explodes instantly (with rocket explosion frames), an spawn that

Try that in DECORATE:

ACTOR Explosion : Rocket
{
    Spawn Parent Death
    SpawnID 200
}
In the ACS script:

#define T_EXPLOSION 200

and then use that with Thing_Spawn or whatever you use to spawn the object.

I use explosions a lot in my levels. For this I made a special explosion sprite that I can spawn anywhere I want. It's easy to make... basically a barrel (with different graphics) that goes into its death frame when awakened.

I've had something similar like that in my Dsv5 wad of map08 in the cave area. I had a hanging corpse thing with a blank sprite, and its seestate is the rocket explosion.

Experiment with Decorate or Dehacked and go with the one that works best.

What I normally do is spawn a rocket next to a wall (with Thing_Projectile), and it blows up without you even seeing the rocket. (looks primitive now, doesn't it?)

Well I'm sure the wall disappears after the explosion. That's what walls like to do.

I knew a guy who was working on a level where he wanted an area to look like it had seen heavy combat. This was shortly after decals became available in ZDoom. He spawned rockets at random angles from the center of the room in order to create the decals. It was then that I linked him to Boris' decaldemo wad... kekeke. (Richo Rosai, "A Warm Place.")