Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ralphis`

Worth A read

Not.

That was pretty lame. I thought the guy wanted to go somewhere, but he just pointed 2 or 3 facts that everyone knows.

SHUSH YOU! DON'T YOU REALIZE DOOM3 COULD BE SHINNING THROUGH WITH ORIGINAL AND EXCESSIVELY FUN GAMEPLAY??

It was interesting, but very biased. Quake 2's multiplayer easily surpassed Quake and Doom's. Add an awesome single player, and it's kills everything until UT and Quake 3 came out.

Don't know about you, but although the enviornments and storyline were in Unreal, I found the weapons and gameplay lacking, and not as fun and engaging as Quake 2. Case in point: played Quake 2 single player and multiplayer to death. Unreal: single player got dry very quickly, despite the awesome enviornments. As for multiplayer in Unreal, the weapons sucked, and I got sick of it. Not to mention Unreal was glitchy as hell (not as bad as Daggerfall though). Did they ever release a final patch for Unreal?

As for Unreal Tournament vs Quake 3 Arena. Q3A's graphics blew UT's graphics away. Q3A had perfect weapon balance. UT does not. The only people I know that like UT better are the ones without fast enough computers to play Q3A. The levels are much better and expansive in Q3A than the drab, boring ones in UT. The weapons are just about equal in both, but Q3A's weapons were perfectly balanced, while some weapons in UT just serve no purpose and suck ass (Bio-rifle?). Sure, if you want variety in multiplayer, UT surpasses Q3A. However, compare the two by the deathmatch modes, and Q3A is faster, fun, and kills UT.

I still think id is on top. Whereas most games turn super complicated, id's games stay simple. Most see that as a drawback. I see it as brilliance. Just look at Street Fighter compared to Tekken. Street Fighter's gameplay just keeps getting better. Tekken doesn't evolve that much, except graphicswise. Street Fighter stays 2D, while perfecting the fighting. It doesn't need to go to 3D to prove anything.

Same thing with id. If Doom 3 turns out to be complicated like System Shock 2, I won't be happy. The game should be driven on fear and action. Not objectives.

Some people may disagree with me, but that's why there's a variety of games. id is consistant, and that's important in my book. Trading complicated gameplay and complex storylines for great gameplay. That's what makes a game addicting games better compared to playing through a game with a storyline once.

Same thing with id. If Doom 3 turns out to be complicated like System Shock 2, I won't be happy. The game should be driven on fear and action. Not objectives.

Hell, I'm dreaming about something like that. It won't happen, of course, but I would gladly work in a mod trying to acomplish this.

doom deathmatch does kick serious ass... over a lan. over the net? still too damn laggy for me.

I'm specifically just trying to show the ID has gone downhill and don't know if doom3 is gonna be ALL that great. I mean, it isn't doom anymore let's face it. Nothing will be, but they branded the name on it. So what are we expecting? Quality. Because it's something we all know and love. But it isn't gonna be doom at all. Of course it's gonna have some imps and barons and other guys, but ID's quality in replayabilty and funfactor has definitaly gone downhill.

Blasphemy! Burn the traitor...bah! Its true, *shudders* Ralphis is right *buys rock salt to sprinkle on the places where hell froze over*.

I think the article made some good points. He's too hard on id towards the end, though. Epic has always made a more complete out-of-the-box fps. id made a great base, upon which the community built great add-ons. It's like MS users (full package out of the box) culture vs. Linux users culture (compile it yourself, hack it yourself, make your own add-ons).

Oh, c'mon...you people are way too biased...id's been loosing it's magic? Nah. Take a fucking look at the games they made, Wolf3D was incredible, SoD was MOTS, DooM was incredible, DooM II was MOTS, Final DooM was MOTS, Quake was (IMO) incredible, Q2 and Q3, while 2 classical examples of MOTS, at least were radically different in enviroment/plot. id likes to revolutionize the gaming scene after a couple of years, and so far, everything looks and feels great for the new DooM.

It won't be DooM, and I praise them for that. If you ask me, there's nothing more painful for a franchise than an uninspired sequel. Let the guys go crazy, they know what they're doing.

Oh I agree completely. If anyone can can make the best game possible, id can. However, there is still a chance they can screw it up. A game engine and graphics mean little to me. That's why I won't be playing Doom 3 beta, or even getting hyped up about it. If it sucks, I could be disappointed. However, if it's one of the best games ever, I want to take it all in at once. It'll make buying it all the more sweeter.

Oh, sure. They could always screw it up. Still, there would be a bigass chunk of the community that would just LOVE it.
If they pull out a great game, good for them. If they pull out an average game, I'll buy it anyways.

Most than all, it's that powerful engine that attracts me...the modding possibilities are just incredible.

Oh, I'll buy it for sure! The second it comes out. I've decided that I won't be upgrading my computer until AFTER Doom 3 comes out. This way, I know I'll be able to play and see it for the first time with all features and detail on, and have it run at full speed.