Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomaddict

Opinion on Action DOOM

What do you think of Action DOOM?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Action DOOM?

• I love the wad! It is great!
    • It`s good, but there could be a few improvements.
    • Fair. It needs a little work.
    • THE WAD SUCKS!
    • Impse.

What do you all think of Action DOOM? I love it. The missions are cool, the bosses rock, I love the scoring system.

ALL HAIL SCUBA_STEVE!

Anyways, what does the DOOM Community think of this new TC? Please list your opinions in this thread.

Aren't there already three other Action Doom threads full of peoples' opinions?

NiGHTMARE said:

Aren't there already three other Action Doom threads full of peoples' opinions?

They are not in this forum though, are they?

The wad is great but I don't like so much the idea of get killed with a single hit. And I don't like also the fact that with my 320 mb of ram and my intel celerom processor, some maps are unplayable. Okey it's Action DOOM, but it's not excuse for require a faster system than the one required on RTCW, I mean, if some of the level run with the same speed as your conventional DOOM map and still look and play great, what is the need to make other maps with such requirments?

The special effects are superb, nobody of us saw stuff like that in a DOOM mod, but the system requirments are unbalanced.

Ichor said:

The thread I'm writing about is designed for the opinions of ACTION DOOM (with a poll that has the IMPSE option). That thread is basically about ACTION DOOM in general.

I liked it alot, best zdoom wad ever. The only problem I have is that I have 512mb of ram and a p4 running at 2.3 and I still got lagg really bad in some parts. But I really like all the secrets, even though I don't think that you can beat Suba Steves score, I beat the game 2 times and only like a 300k rating.

wtf lag? I developed all the shit on a celeron 2.8 with 256 ram (laptop too) and never once did I face any lag. and Scuba's computer is way slower. MAAAADNESS!!

when I played the last boss It was going crazy..I was getting like 1 frame every 3 seconds.

The game is great. And there's no lag, what are you people running it on apart from malware-ridden PCs? Really!

I'm enjoying it a lot though it is really hard on "normal", heh. I got quite dizzy trying to beat level 1 last night. Eventually I figured a strategy and that's what I'm liking best about AD so far - in the tough arenas it really makes you do some things a few times over until you hatch a decent enough plan to actually do it without being hit once. Of course that can also be extremely irratating when you wipe out the big cannons and some feckless zombie comes out of nowhere and gets you with a cheap shot but hey, it encourages the perfectionist in me which I like.

Visually it is of course superb, with a slightly retro 80s feel to it which can never be a bad thing. More AD would not go amiss if Steve was that way inclined.

Cyb said:

wtf lag? I developed all the shit on a celeron 2.8 with 256 ram (laptop too) and never once did I face any lag. and Scuba's computer is way slower. MAAAADNESS!!

900 Athlon.

Lag? Really? I'm about to install it and I'm on a 3 ghz p4, 1 gig memory. Should be ok.

Yeah, I had to play in 320x200 w/ double horizontal/vertical pixel detail on this tbird 1ghz w/ 512mb ram. Map2 could only be played like that, in my case. It's rather hard to time jumps on the cars :O

just go into options and put a jump button for the game.\

Wait I fixed it... I had Kazaa running hidden and it was eating up my VM...just fixed it and now no more lagg.

No lag here with my Athlon 1 GHz, except a minor slowdown when loading or saving a game on level two.

Guys I put AD in my Doom 2 folder along with Zdoom but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it launch.

I haven't played a lot of it, but from what i've seen it's quite interesting. I thought it was gonna be something like uac resurrection or the like, but no, it turned out to be something a lot more.

So far i like the intro, and the 1hit kill scheme that seems to be apparent to you and your enemies. I'll play it some more some other time (i'm busy playing through ultimate doom again at the moment)

I think pritch summed it up nicely. You guys are either running some stupid shit in the background or you're making it up. There's been various machines ranging from slow to fast that have not experienced any lag.

Most excellent work here Steve.

In fact, I have only 2 complaints.

1: In the classic Metal Slug and Contra games, you always had at least 3 lives. Would it be too much to ask for 3 hits or so here? A player could restore hits by picking up quaters and gain 30 hits by picking up a floating Konami logo =P.

2:Although I love the hordes of monsters coming at me, the turrets need to be weakened just a bit.

Otherwise, great work.

There was no way to tell the game if the player had taken a "hit" and then subtract a "life". The damage dealt is different each time, so letting the player have x HP and then letting them take "three" was arbitrary. We toyed around with the idea of Armor, that you could pick up and would allow you to take one hit from anything then it would disappear. It was a really good idea, but not implementable... Zdoom .64 might make it possible, but that's a ways off and I wouldn't hold up a prjoect just for that.

I'm loving this.

Couldn't the life points have been done with a voodoo doll and a crushing ceiling on three drop increments?