Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Godshatter

question about running different iwads

ive been playing doom for freaking ever, and ive had a helluva lot of fun playing custom wads like AV and the like. however, i have never, ever been able to use a sourceport to play a custom iwad. when i play ZDoom all i can play are the maps from doomII.

ive read the readme file for all of my iwad files and for ZDoom and i cant really figure out how to get zdoom to play new iwads

i jsut downloaded Action Doom and am trying to get it to work with ZDoom

i know this is probobly a sort of noobish question, but someone please explain to me how to get different source ports to run different iwads.

First of all, note that there aren't custom iwads. The iwads are the wads you have bought, such as doom2.wad, doom.wad, tnt.wad, plutonia.wad or heretic.wad. The wads you have downloaded, such as av.wad, are pwads. Pwads are designed to work with a particular iwad (more often than not Doom2.wad). To get a pwad to work with a port, you need to use "-file" in the command line, and possibly "-iwad" too, to tell the program which iwad to use. (Alternatively, you can use drag and drop for the pwad with most ports.)

Syntax:
(port) -iwad (iwad name) -file (pwad name)

Example:
prboom -iwad doom2.wad -file hr.wad

Note: you do this via a command line (e.g. Start button - Run...); it is not done after starting the program.

how will the program know where to find the port, pwad, and iwad? or do i just need to have them all in the same folder

and thanks for clearing up the difference between iwad and pwad.

i tried typing this in run

G:\Program Files\Doom II for Windows 95 zdoom\ -iwad doom2.wad -file action.wad

i also tried just

-iwad doom2.wad -file action.wad

it popped up saying it couldnt located G:\Program Files

i dont know why, could it be a problem with my registry? G:\ used to be my C:\ but i swapped out hard drives and now my 100 gig hd is my main one (cut into C:\ D:\ and E:\) but i left everything from windows in G:\

C:\ is on the new hd and has windows xp running off it, i just left windows on the old hd (though it does NOT boot from it, the files are just there, thats all)

You have to start the port. type
"zdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file AV.wad" replace AV with the name of the particular pwad you are using.

so if your folder is C:\doom, at the command prompt type

cd c:\doom (enter)
zdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file AV.wad (enter)

Godshatter said:

how will the program know where to find the port, pwad, and iwad? or do i just need to have them all in the same folder

Depends on how you're doing it. If you are using "Start button - Run...", then you need to give the path to the exe, but only need to give the paths to the other files if they are somewhere else. If everything is in c:\doom2, then using the example I gave before, you would use:
c:\doom2\prboom -iwad doom2.wad -file hr.wad

If your files are spread all over your hard disk, then you need to tell it exactly where to find each of them.

On the other hand, if you use a command prompt (Start button - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt), then once you have got a "C:\DOOM2>" prompt you need only give the paths of any files that are in a different directory.

Essentially, if everything is in the same folder/directory, it is all much simpler.

G:\Program Files\Doom II for Windows 95 zdoom\ -iwad doom2.wad -file action.wad

Try:
G:\Program Files\Doom II for Windows 95\zdoom -iwad doom2.wad -file action.wad

it all works

thanks fellas

*edit*

new question

if there is dehacked stuff do i have to include the file manually?

also, what is this limit removing port i hear about.

if there is a seperate dehacked file you can add that to your command line thus;

-file whatever.wad -deh whatever

Make sure the deh is located in the same directory.

A limit removing port is a port like zdoom where some of the original limitations of the doom engine which were necessary at the time because of PC capability have been removed. Most ports remove common limitation like visplane overflow etc.

hrm

do some older pwads not worked with newer versions of say jdoom or zdoom?

(i cant get 'the sky may be' to work right, all the dehacked stuff is there but the _SMB417.wad doesnt load. its just the regular doom2 maps. i have .63 of zdoom

i also cant get mock2 to work, i get the same problem. its just the doom2.wad that plays

Most pwads designed to work with the original game should work with most ports, but sometimes they'll use some feature (or exploit some bug) that isn't supported by the port in question. Wads that do weird dehacked stuff are less likely to work OK than standard maps.

Anyway, if you read the text-file, you will see that Sky May Be is for Doom1/Ultimate Doom, and not Doom2. The real map is E2M1, and E1M1 and E1M2 are training levels. If it seems totally and utterly screwed up, then it is probably working correctly.

Edit: Mock2 is for Zdoom and definitely works with it. It sounds like you simply aren't loading the wad. In which case go back and reread the instructions earlier in this thread for how to load pwads.