Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomaddict

Scary Doom levels

What levels do you think are scary?

I think 6fiffy4 (under levels/doom2/ports/0-9/6fiffy4) is really scary. The reason it's frightening is because Cyberdemons show up in places where you would not expect them, and you do not have any way you can combat them (no invulnerability, no megasphere, no BFG or plasma rifle, just a rocket launcher, ssg, sg, and chaingun) and those cyberdemons can appear basically anywhere in the level anytime.

My phrase for this level:You cannot run and you cannot hide.

I recommend trying this level.

Sadhusct.wad

The horror...
The horror...

The horror...

Ichor said:

Sadhusct.wad

The horror...
The horror...

The horror...

LOL. That wad is a TC with mario-like music and textures, non-mario like enemies, not scary, and worst of all , I can't even move.

Come on and be honest.

Oh and 6fiffy4 is REALLY named Lord of the Cyberdemons and is REALLY SCARY as you go through the level.

It's the first entry in the .deh file in the .zip. It sets the players height to somewhere over 3 million. Nothing serious. Just delete it and you should be able to move.

Try maps by:
Ed / Wiles / Hoglund / Pagb666 / Dictter / Nokturnus / Mordeth
but I think AOTW is probably the winner for the maps I've ever played.

Opulent said:

but I think AOTW is probably the winner for the maps I've ever played.

Agree - damn fine map too. It also got a few mentions in a thread called "Most atmospheric SP Wads" (edit: which is more than a year old, and obviously shouldn't be bumped, FFS).

I just played AOTW. At first it didn't scare me a bit. And then later its starting to scare the shit out of me. Awesome wad

How the hell do you get out of the first room!?

EDIT: Worked it out. Dammit, I was scared even at the beggining of that wad. Walking down those stairs freaked the hell outta me.

Sweet mother of Jesus...AOTW is fucking scary, man...so dark...so evil...

I always get really tense when I know that there's something out there and it's coming after me...those Baron things...dear lord I'm scared now...

To get out of the first room, wake up the zombie. Lure him into the door and he'll open it. You should be good then.

Yeah, instead of listening to the music with the level, I just listen to ambient tracks from N64 and PSX Doom.

When I went into that room with the coffin thingies, the Cyberdemon out the window almost gave me a heart attack.

Bashe said:

Yeah, instead of listening to the music with the level, I just listen to ambient tracks from N64 and PSX Doom.

The music in the wad is still scary. I let my little brother play. I think I was more scared than him!

Bashe said:

When I went into that room with the coffin thingies, the Cyberdemon out the window almost gave me a heart attack.

That almost gave me a heart attack to. I was like, "Oh shit!"

Hehe...my diaper change topic lasted 3 minutes...HELLED!

Anyway, I'm too scared to even think about completing AOTW. It's just too scary for me. I mean, I thought some things in Action Doom were scary, but this is just frightening.

Bashe said:

Anyway, I'm too scared to even think about completing AOTW. It's just too scary for me.

Sucks to be you then. Maybe you shouldn't get Doom3 when it comes out.

The final level of Last day on earth scared me once, in a story you're probably all tired of hearing

The text file to UAClabs.wad

i am writing a megadoom review for myself on all of the ports wads. At average, each wad takes 20-30 minutes to play.

I get that feeling "LEIK OMG HE'S COMING" whenever some monster wakes up behind me and I know it's coming.

I'll probably get Doom 3, it looks good. I will probably play it for 3 seconds. The menus might scare me :)

I don't get why everyone thinks AOTW is supposedly scary - I've played it before with the lights off and that sort of thing, on UV. It was tense, and I DID get startled here and there, but I never actually got scared. Maybe it's just me...

I agree that "scary" isn't the best word (it's about a scary as a ghost train). I would say the ominous atmosphere is expertly created, with sound effects and layout crafted to make it feel like we are a weak inmate desperately trying to escape from a madhouse.

Heh, who am I kidding, I had to sit on the toilet the whole time when playing this. :p

Talking of toilets...

Ichor said:

Sadhusct.wad

heh. enjoy. (Crap Pacifist demos of all the maps that didn't just crash. Recorded in Eternity, which doesn't seem to mind the player height issue).

Brains is really good, it has that horror movie feel because the damn enemies keep coming back.

I am playing all the wads and writing a short review on every one of them and I will reach AOTW. (I am starting with ports for DOOM II first).

Brains is really good, it has that horror movie feel because the damn enemies keep coming back.

Heh, the first brains has awful level design, and the very thick fog in places makes it more annoying than anything, but the end of it is pretty scary, when you get lost and surrounded, and fire wildly ahead of you wasting ammo

The second one is way better, though still hasnt quite got the fear factor, combine elements from both of them and it will be frightening