Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

The /newstuff Chronicles #188

I kind of got it to work in the current version of Zdoom by rebuilding the wad and taking some stuff out (it crashed in other ports that I tried though - maybe that's fixable by someone more skilled in wad repair than me). Obviously I don't know if it's now working as intended, but will give it a short review on that basis anyway (unless you get a fixed version ready this week).

Woah - what an 'Action' packed - ok... that's just lame... Nilla rocked, I'll be running through that more than once and looking back at it for inspiration.

Action Doom was also impressive...

Looks like Ultimate Doomer played my WAD Helevator on UV. FYI this level has different gameplay styles depending on the difficulty level you choose. Hey, Not Too Rough has higher level monsters but better weapons and more health/ammo etc while Hurt Me Plenty is the middle ground between the two. None are intended to be any harder than the others though I personally found HMP to be hardest.

Heh. Action Doom is 1337! Anyway, to quote my "review" of it on the Zdoom Forums:

Xaser said (on the Zdoom Forums):
Two words: HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11oneone

Action Doom is probably THE GREATEST Doom mod I've ever played!!! Everything was perfect, I didn't find any bugs, and the boat part was freaking awesome!!! I loved how there were multiple paths through each level, giving it sort of a non-linearity type thing that I really like. I think I've played all the different paths. I esspecially liked the hell part, and the music is FUCKiNG AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! However, the best part is the weapons. The guns are PERFECT! They all look awesome, and the extra animations for the pistol and the machinegun(when you first pull them up) gives thim a professional touch. Too bad I can't play other doom mods with the weapons, because all the other DEHACKED work would render other mods unplayable. Unless I could port the guns to DECORATE once .64 comes out. Yeah, that would be a cool idea! Anyway, Scuba Steve has really outdone himself. Action Doom was about 100 times better than I thought it would be, because I thought that it would be just another "Kill everything that moves" type of mod. Boy, he sure proved me wrong. :P

Anyway, I'll STFU now. :P

'Nuff said.

Well, I'd like to say that I greatly enjoyed Time Labs and that it was a good first try with none of the usual obvious mistakes that newbie mappers make... but as we both know, it would be an utter lie.

JoelMurdoch said:

That reminds me - I couldn't get this WAD to work kid. I loaded the wad in both Eternity and ZDoom with doom2.wad and neither loaded it. Eternity crashed altogether, ZDoom spat out a series of errors on the console and just loaded the regular Doom II levels.

Well, the current version of Legacy is quite buggy at the moment and gives me loads of problems with even "normal" wads.

As to ZDoom, I have reported this as a bug; details here if you really want to know http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=2941 but basically, recent ZDooms won't load maps from a WAD that has a skin in it. When you remove the skin, or load it from a separate PWAD, there are no errors at all and the thing plays just fine. If not, something inside ZDoom screws up and the texture/pnames and stuff get messed up because the maps they belong to aren't there (I guess).

Just cut out the skin and put it in a separate PWAD and things work fine. Personally I disagree with Randy playing God like that, but hell, ZDoom is his baby :-)

Darkman 4 said:

STOP PROMOTING THAT DAMN THING YOU PIECE OF SHIT.

How about:

--> CALM DOWN OR WE'LL GET DOWN <--

As Michael Winner would say: "Calm down dear, yelling at people on the internet only ever manages to make you look like an utter geek (and quite possibly gets you banned)."

Darkman 4 said:

But...but...he deserved it. ;_; *cries*

Send him a mail then.
Just keep it away from here.

Darkman 4 said:

But...but...he deserved it. ;_; *cries*

I can understand your frustration... ;)

Action Doom is action doom! It's great, After the first level though it bogged down my computer beyond playability, but from what I played it was quite good for what it is. I quite enjoyed this weeks releases, even that mockery LSD wad. Very fun lineup. Leave Heresy and the fanatical Romero worshipper alone, it will dissappear on it's own.

Martin Howe said:

Well, the current version of Legacy is quite buggy at the moment and gives me loads of problems with even "normal" wads.

Duno what you mean with that. Latest legacy is the best version in years imo.. Even savegames seem to work now. (with things on 3d floors and FS and all that wich used to break them)

Martin Howe said:
Just cut out the skin and put it in a separate PWAD and things work fine. Personally I disagree with Randy playing God like that, but hell, ZDoom is his baby :-) [/B]

I doubt that was intentional in any way.. Bugs CAN happen to zdoom aswell. I know it's a mindblowing concept for you but.. Just keep it in mind.

kristus said:

I doubt that was intentional in any way.. Bugs CAN happen to zdoom aswell.

Unfortunately, it (level suppression in WADs with skins) isn't a bug. Randy stated clearly that he wanted to prevent the situation in multiplayer where people load up a WAD for the LEVELS in it and suddenly get "clothed" in a skin that was "serruptitiously" present in the WAD. Paranoid or what:-) I mean, doesn't *everybody* look at every new WAD they download, say with WinTex to check for problems just in case:-)

Martin Howe said:

I mean, doesn't *everybody* look at every new WAD they download, say with WinTex to check for problems just in case:-)

no, 'cuz people are stupid and lazy.

About HERESY: There are only five files in the ZIP now.

I don't care whether people appreciates my work or not, but i'd like
people to play it. It would be a pity and a SHAME that HERETIC users,
people that paid for HERETIC and probably like DOOM more, would be
prevented from playing it. They should have the chance to try it.
This HERESY plays well in single, coop and deathmatch. Some people
have tried to convert these levels to DOOM in the past but they have
failed. You should be glad this conversion exists.
Let's face it, i like HERETIC but it's a DOOM clone. DOOM is the real thing.
If you are an 'HERETIC purist' play HERETIC instead.
And sadly for you it's not a crap, but if thinking that makes you
happy don't try it.

I forgot to add a link to the OLD screenshots thread:

These are from the obsolete and ugly v0.08.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=2753&highlight=heresy

drfrag said:

You should be glad this conversion exists.

Nah, too easy.

drfrag said:

I don't care whether people appreciates my work or not, but i'd like
people to play it.

People aren't playing it, because it doesn't deserve any appreciation.
Congradulations on wasting your time.

drfrag said:

You should be glad this conversion exists.

Anybody could've made this conversation, and it's a pointless act of futility. I'm glad that no one cares.

drfrag said:

And sadly for you it's not a crap, but if thinking that makes you
happy don't try it.

Sadly for you, your grasp on reality is really warped, it is crap, and if by thinking that it isn't crap makes happy, don't be suprised as to why no one is playing it.

drfrag, no one wants to play your silly Heresy whatchamacallit, now go away.
Also, it's not necessary to LEAVE THE CAPSLOCK ON WHEN TYPING OUT DOOM OR HERETIC, just Doom or Heretic will do, plz kthx.

Carnevil said:

Nilla Doom is awesome! :) Great job!

thanks carn! Hopefuly future discussion in this thread sticks to wads that were actually reviewed! (ahem drfrag)

Use3D said:

thanks carn! Hopefuly future discussion in this thread sticks to wads that were actually reviewed! (ahem drfrag)

My most humble apologies.

Nilla was one of the best I've played yet. I frequently thought "Wow, where does he get this stuff!" I got a kick out of the fish avatar in the last map!

Gremlin said:

I got a kick out of the fish avatar in the last map!

Hehe you found it ;)

Hey...I noticed that the archie in Time Labs created one of those indestructible enemies (at least with the weapon I had) out of a demon. I've seen this with commandos but not with other enemies.