Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gravitar

AV map 7 exit ?

I´m playing AV with zDoom/Boom,and cannot exit map 7.
Either there is a barrier or a gap infront the exit;
watched the demo, no such thing there.

Isn´t there a port which can just play maps so they
can be finished ?
To me it seems like every 3rd wad is unplayable with
a port, i have abandoned jDoom because of that,do i
have to run the dos-exe to play a map and finish it ?

It either uses the platform-lower tag when the arachnotrons are dead... or what do those 2 switches do? (I don't have an editor on this pc.)

One of the switches opens the door to the exit.
I replayed it multiple times with both ports,got
45/45 and 1/1, still can´t exit.

I had a play around with prboom's compatibility options to see if I could emulate this problem, and found that if I set "use exactly doom's linedef trigger model = no", then the exit remained blocked off. So set that to "yes" (or use the Doom2.exe compatibility mode, of course), and it will work.

What the solution in Zdoom might be (apart from jumping), I don't know. BTW, I noticed that if you set "find shortest textures like doom = yes" in Zdoom, then Doom2 map07 doesn't work correctly (something not quite right there). However, that doesn't seem to affect AV map07.

In Boom, if you edit your config file so the following line appears, then it should work OK:

orig_doom_compatibility       1

I don't recall this issue; though I've always played it with Doom2.

gravitar said:
Isn´t there a port which can just play maps so they
can be finished ?

You can guarantee a map will work with what it was designed with or tested with, but a small detail or a slight glitch could make it buggy or unplayable with other engines.

How about fixing this WAD? As it is it will screw up with any source port that fixed the 'raise by lower texture' bug unless compatibility settings are changed.

Graf Zahl said:

How about fixing this WAD? As it is it will screw up with any source port that fixed the 'raise by lower texture' bug unless compatibility settings are changed.

Nah, previous releas stays final. Works just fine for what it was designed for.

Sure. But fixing it involves just putting one 64 units high texture on the lower part one of the outer linedefs of the rising sector, nothing more. I think it should be done so that it works properly with all source ports on the default setting.

SSWolfenSie said:

If you are using Zdoom, you caqn jump to it. it's very simple.

Actually, that gap can be jumped in Doom2.exe too. That is used in the UV Speed demos on this map (and would doubtless be used in a NM run).

Graf: surely you're not suggesting that it should be changed to work with Legacy too? (At least maps 24 and 25 have issues, but there are workarounds.)

That depends on the problems. If the fix involves breaking backwards compatibility, clearly no but this particular case is so simple...

SSWolfenSie said:

If you are using ZDoom, you can jump to it.
It's very simple.

True, but, where's the challenge in that? I only use jumping when I'm totally stumped by a puzzle that has, for an example, a key up on a pedestal and I've hit every switch I can find and still the pedestal won't lower. If the pedestal is less than 64 units high I'll jump on it and grab the key. But again, that's only as a last resort.