Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber-menace

Doom Builder presenting an odd error.

My Doom Builder has been acting up recently. For some reason after I test a map, Doom Builder will NEVER maximize no matter what I do. I have to End Task it EVERYTIME. I have no idea what is going on but it is causing no progress to be done on my maps.

I am not getting any error, but DoomBuilder is doing some strange and terrible things.

I use WadAuthor to make maps, mostly because I can't make them as fast or easily with DoomBuilder. I use DB only because of the wonderful feature it has for selecting and modifying multiple lines/sector properties at once. (This is a real pain with WA!)

Sometimes though, after running a map through DB, it corrupts and changes things for no apparent reason. I try to run my fixed map and discover it has exchanged a great portion of the sector heights and properties. (?) I mean, it uses values I put to one sector on another, so my map is a wasted complete mess!

Does anyone know why it does this?

It has to do with the way doom builder handles maps I think. A freind of mine once opened a map made with doom builder in deepsea to find loads of errors, mostly unclosed sectors. Different editors handle maps differently that others, wich is why some editors may require something like a specific nodesbuilder.

No, no, I mean it won't re-maximize itself after I test a map in Zdoom. It's like it doesn't know that Zdoom has finished with the map! I makes it so I can't test my map or I'll have to close Doom Builder.

Probably the engine you are using didnt really close yet. Doom Builder waits for the process of the game to finish, then it restores. When the game (or any program) disappears from your screen, that doesnt matter it really ended.

That's odd because I've used Zdoom from when I started using Doom Builder. Even after I got the newest version it tested just fine. Now after a period of time has passed, it doesn't work properly anymore.

Check your processes list in task manager (this is all task manager IS in 9x IIRC), and look for extraneous "zdoom.exe"'s. I did one day end up with over a dozen not-quite-exeted zdoom's loaded, and I've seen the problem mentioned on zdoom's fourms, though it would seem to be some sort of hiesenbug (for me at least).

It may have something to do with system condition, say, after a particuarly nasty crash zdoom stops quitting properly until reboot. (For my one-time incident anyway).

All processes list? I have Win98SE, that sounds like an XP feature.

I never changed anything on my computer... it's just some weird problem I think.

CTRL+ALT+DEL brings up the list of processes in Windows 98. Kill anything that says "zdoom" or "zdoom.exe" or simular.

Ok, considering I have to do that to close Doom Builder anyway I can go see if this is the problem, but my computer is messed up right now because all Windows will show is a black screen... Linux is all I can use at the moment. When I get it fixed I'll check this out.

Ok now that THAT problem is fixed (I had to restore an old registry)... I also somehow killed the Doom Builder error. I don't know if it was the Defrag my brother did this weekend or restoring the old registry, but something fixed the error. (I'm thinking it was the defrag). Well so much for that little problem. Thanks for the help anyways though.

EDIT: BAH! That was a short lived success. Now it fails to respond when I try to test the map... there are no Zdoom processes running when it is supposed to maximize. I guess something really messed up with Doom Builder. I think I'm going to re-install it.

EDIT2: Well that didn't work... somethings really messed up with my computer right now I think...