Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orbis

ZDoom with different filetypes

I just recently discovered that ZDoom can be "force-fed" different filetypes, as long as the basic WAD data structures remain intact. For example, you could convert a wad with no nodes structures in it to a .WTF or .OMG file or whatever and run it in ZDoom with absolutely no problems, and it will still build nodes for you upon loading the map/maps. Interesting...Eh?

I've heard of the 2-byte limit on everything- ZDoom solved most of it, except for 64k sidedefs (or was it linedefs? INS). Maybe this could be a step towards solving the 64k linedefs/sidedefs problem. I mean, they say that the .WAD extension can't handle anything over 2-byte signed (or in ZDoom's case, unsigned) values for all the self-imposed limits. And another thing somewhat related to this is that it can read DoomEd4 files (the version that builds wads almost entirely different from regular ones), so this little "hole" in ZDoom could help along the solution to that problem. And what I mean by "entirely different from regular ones," I meant that it builds nodes using different structures than the normal Doom(2) wads seen around today; such as TAG DESC (segment triggers stored in here instead of in linedefs and sectors IIRC), THINGS P (not so sure about this one, doesn't read correctly in XWE), SEGS EFS (also doesn't read properly), and NODES RS. Do you get what I'm saying here?

I get that you have no idea what you're actually talking about.

By that token I could create the LOL extension and behold, my WAD files now make toast because the extension is different! In the real computing world, file extensions (filename.ext) are nothing more than a symbolic indicator of what a file might (MIGHT) be. Windows uses them in a much larger role that will hopefully be phased out in future windows releases.

Mancubus II said:

Windows uses them in a much larger role that will hopefully be phased out in future windows releases.

Unlikely considering how file type association is done.

Mancubus II said:

I get that you have no idea what you're actually talking about.

By that token I could create the LOL extension and behold, my WAD files now make toast because the extension is different! In the real computing world, file extensions (filename.ext) are nothing more than a symbolic indicator of what a file might (MIGHT) be. Windows uses them in a much larger role that will hopefully be phased out in future windows releases.

Then please enlighten me as to how .WAD and .TXT are almost entirely different.

a WAD is a binary format and a text file is a text format?

If you renamed monkey.wad to monkey.poo it would still be a wad file, nothing has changed but the filename.

If you rename monkey.txt (assuming it is a text file) to monkey.pns it's still a text file.

Renaming monkey.wad to monkey.txt does not turn that wad file into a text file, nor does renaming monkey.txt to monkey.wad make it a wad file.

I don't know if I can be any clearer. The filename only dictates what filetype it SHOULD be in windows, but means nothing but a symbol in other computing environments.

Mancubus II said:

Renaming monkey.wad to monkey.txt does not turn that wad file into a text file, nor does renaming monkey.txt to monkey.wad make it a wad file.

Liar. I renamed DOOM2.WAD to DOOM2.TXT and opened it in notepad, and this is what I got... (click for big)

(Image might be slow to load, Imageshack seems to be going really slow from my end)

Kinda hard to play, though...

AlexMax said:

Liar. I renamed DOOM2.WAD to DOOM2.TXT and opened it in notepad, and this is what I got... (click for big)

So what, notepad can open binary files.

And yes your image is loading incredibly slowly.

Edit: har har har u r kewl 4 ascii artz!

File extensions are no different then labels on food. You can change the labels around, but in the end, it is still the same food. Using the food just by the mixed up labels will result in things that don't work so well. If you know what it is in the can/box, you can use it for that purpose and ignore the label.

Well, I have to find something to eat now.

I think it was Shaviro said:

/Me renames doom.exe to loom.exe

bwahahahha!

But (semi) seriously, you could rename eternall.wad to asdfjgjg.onk, and it would still run perfectly, the name is nothing...

insertwackynamehere said:

Heh, that's just an ASCII of a doom screenshot.

OH MY GOD YOU'RE KIDDING ME!

He's right. It's the player with 100% health, 84 bullets, 0% armor, fighing a sergeant and a (demon?) on MAP01 at the beginning of the TEKGRNX hallway.

Jayextee said:

Woah, that text has the word "sex" in it about a dozen times! :D

I dunno what's worse, the fact you saw them or the fact I looked for them. :/