03: Spider Mastermind
04: Lefthanded Weapon-View
05: 5 original named Skill levels
06: Baron of Hell
07: Acid Pits
08: Intermission screen
09: Original powerups
10: At least some original sounds

I'm sure the mastermind and cybie are definately making a comeback and we know they have some of the original revenant sfx in it. Otherwise we don't know for sure about the others (or do we?)

01: Cyberdemon - Very, Very likely to be in
02: Quicksave - There was some argument about this, no-one knows how it turned out
03: Spider Mastermind - Very probable
04: Lefthanded Weapon-View - *shrug*
05: 5 original named Skill levels Probably :P
06: Baron of Hell - Almost definately
07: Acid Pits - Uhh I guess so. It's a pretty standard FPS hazard. :P
08: Intermission screen - Highly doubtful. It would remove from the immeriveness they want to create
09: Original powerups - Some of them, undoubtedly. (berserk...)
10: At least some original sounds - Doubt it. They were too low quality for a start. Its a remake, not a re-hash. :)

i dont know why left handed views would be so important, even if you are left handed.

i have a few friends who are left handed and they dont care. even if you can change it, they dont.

original sounds. maybe. i dont know WHY you would want them. very low quaility compared to what exsist now. however in the Iwad or what ever, i bet they might have some eggs for us.

quick save, honestly the only game i used it in was half-life. dont know why, i know who to do it. i just never did

Sephiroth said:

i dont know why left handed views would be so important, even if you are left handed.

i have a few friends who are left handed and they dont care. even if you can change it, they dont.

original sounds. maybe. i dont know WHY you would want them. very low quaility compared to what exsist now. however in the Iwad or what ever, i bet they might have some eggs for us.

quick save, honestly the only game i used it in was half-life. dont know why, i know who to do it. i just never did

Heh, I'm left handed and I play FPS's all the time and you can't change the hand you use (to my knowledge anyway). Then again aside from writing/drawing I do everything with my right hand or arm, ironically it's stronger.

Heh. Left-handed weapons just bug me in games... because im used to my gun being on the right. I'm used to having that portion of my view blocked... and my aim is better with guns on the right, I think... I dunno. Left-handed guns screw me up.

The Doomguy is left handed I think (look at his fist, or the way he holds the pistol). That's probably why he mentioned it.

AirRaid said:

10: At least some original sounds - Doubt it. They were too low quality for a start. Its a remake, not a re-hash. :)

Actually, I believe the Revenant uses its original sounds, so it's possible some of the others are present too.

I haven't been reading much stuff about the game, but the original post mentioned acid pits.

I would like it if they stayed true to the fact that they're toxic waste facilities (not that that's all they are).

Take out the spider and cyberdemon? Are you crazy? It wouldn't be doom without them.

Top ten things I hate

#10.Revenants

#9.Pain Elementals

#8.Chaingunners

#7.Spider Masterminds

#6.Dick Cheney

#5.George W.Bush

#4.Dope Addicts

#3.My Title

#2.The fact that i cannot stop posting pictures of fredrik

#1.doomaddict

doomaddict said:

blah blah

If you don't cut that fredrik posting/self bashing out, you will be banned from here. Just try to act normal, ok?

I want to make sweet, sweet love to Fredrik and have like 10,000 of his manbabies!

heh

Hm, if they do put in acid i would like to see the "gradual damage" classic doom style, rather than instant death stuff, well, maybe some of that too, lava should be instant death when you get into hell, a radiation protection suit wouldnt save you from that.

As for the weapon views, is it that hard to have an option to 'flip over' the models to the other side of the screen, i assume they have modelled an entire hand and gun and not just half of it, and its not like a sprite where you have to draw a whole new bitmap just to change the sides (though you could just mirror it anyway), you just change the model position.

And as for original powerups, well we know the beserk pack is in there (and it sounds VERY cool, you go so insane even the demons from hell will fear you!)

deathbringer said:

heh

Hm, if they do put in acid i would like to see the "gradual damage" classic doom style, rather than instant death stuff, well, maybe some of that too, lava should be instant death when you get into hell, a radiation protection suit wouldnt save you from that.

As for the weapon views, is it that hard to have an option to 'flip over' the models to the other side of the screen, i assume they have modelled an entire hand and gun and not just half of it, and its not like a sprite where you have to draw a whole new bitmap just to change the sides (though you could just mirror it anyway), you just change the model position.

And as for original powerups, well we know the beserk pack is in there (and it sounds VERY cool, you go so insane even the demons from hell will fear you!)

For the acid, I'd think gradual health depletion would work. Or extreme hallucinating. But I think it'd be neat if acid causes visible permanent damage to the player. Like missing layers of skin and such.

Having "instant death" fluids is rarely a good idea gameplaywise. One misstep and you're dead - let's try not to go back to the incredibly frustrating stone age of video gaming and keep aggreviating experiences out of Doom 3.

I agree. I hate it when you finally beat this or that monster, forget to save, and fall into a stupid pit.

Vegeta said:

The Doomguy is left handed I think (look at his fist, or the way he holds the pistol). That's probably why he mentioned it.

Yeap. This, + the fact that I am lefthanded and I loved it when they brought up the option in Quake 2. I emailed Fred Nielsson a while ago, asking for it to be in and he promised it when there was time.
Well, that was some 2 years ago or so - maybe he has forgotten it.

As for the lava damage: They should look at Quake - there you had the radiation suit which protected you from nukage, but not from lava.

Also I´d like the idea of monsters being hurt by lava - at least the zombies. Demons from hell are unlikey to be affected from it.

What if they are like zombiemen except from an alien world e.g. the mancubus. (at least it's supposed to be.)

AirRaid said:

Its a remake, not a re-hash. :)

I read a post of someone who was offeneded by Doom 3 being called a remake. I don't see why because it has all of the features of a remake, like a movie remake.
Anyone know why it is called a retelling instead of a remake?

It's on a planet
It doesn't feature the same levels
This one has cutscenes
Complete monster rehashes (for most)
The Doom II monsters are in this, as well as new ones
Different Doomguy
Other characters

deathbringer said:

NOT THAT ACID! heh

WHOA MAN.....

I remember seeing a d3 video with a revanent in it... and it was screaming apparently. The sound they used for the scream was the exact same sound they used for the doom 2 revanent (when they spot you).

In fact I think I saw the video at IGN. I'ma go check.

It´s not the exact same sound, it´s a modern quality sound designed in a way to resemble the original sound of the Revenant.

Actually it is possible its the same file. I've heard various sounds from Doom in various movies, for instance I heard the Icon-of-Sin-shooting-a-spawn-cube sound in Starship Troopers the other day, and it was aobviously a higher quality sound than the 8bit or whatever sounds they were using in Doom. So they could be using the original sounds, at higher quality, ie not sampled down in the new game.

Having said that, I don't think they would. And the particular Revenant sound, to me, doesn't sound exactly the same. Close sure, but not exact.

That´s a good point, now you mention it, I also remember I heard that specific Icon of Sin sound in a movie, or maybe in a commercial. Since they used some sounds from standard quality sound collections back in the day for the Doom development, they could indeed take some of those sounds for Doom3. Although I expect the sounds in Doom3 to be much more varied then in Doom, so that the Revenant would not have 1 "sight" sought, but 4 or 5 different variations of it.

Indeed. Am I correct in remembering something about id taking a lot of real animal sound samples for the monsters in Doom1? That would support the theory that they're reusing high quality 'original' samples.

There are other threads about the sound effects, the story is they are all dirt-cheap commercial ones that are usd in hundreds of movies and shit sci-fi channel TV shows like "Martian gothic"

As for the revenant sound effect, i reckon they should use the Playstation doom one, its a lot more 'hollow' and 'ghostly', and the new revenant is sort of a ghost (it has the spiritual remains of its body around the bones)

i dont think they are gonna use any sound right out of any of the original wad files. they might use the same base sound. however i think they have given the monsters new sounds.

though i wonder what easter eggs there are to find in doom 3