Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom 3 Tourny at Quakecon

The official Quakecon site has word that the upcoming Quakecon 2004 will feature a 128 player Doom3 Tournament. Players will be competing for some of the $150,000 in fabulous cash and prizes (except for the prizes) donated by NVIDIA. You can also win a Doom 3 related prize (though the site won't say what they are, perhaps an autographed box?), but you've got to be in it to win it, as they say. Registration begins on July 11th at Quakecon.org. Purely speculation now, of course, but this perhaps means that Doom 3 will in fact GO GOLD sometime before the previously projected August 6th release date since the tourny will start on the 12th, which is also the first day of Quakecon. BTW ACTION DOOM IS GREAT!!!

wow, news on DW that doesn't relate to Action Doom. What are the chances, eh?

6 days left... oh dear.
/me gets ready.

Although, this could be ID doing a "beta test"? Just a thought.

Tourny or Tourney?

Anyway, they could still go gold later and have Qcon with whatever beta they have. That would be kinda lame, though.

Yes! I'll be there. Already bought my plane tickets and room...but 128 people only? I doubt I'll be in time to register for the d3 tourney....

Quakecon.org said:

For gamers, QuakeCon is the most exciting happening of the year, and this year it marks the arrival of DOOM 3 – which is one event we wouldn’t miss!" said Dan Vivoli, executive vice president of marketing for NVIDIA

OMG... the arrival of Doom 3! Finally!

Sweet! It'd be cool of there was some kind of demo recordings done too, just to help kick off the recording community :-P

As would be expected then, this quakecon thing will probably mean that doom 3 will not be released before august 4, or 3rd, or whatever the heck the release date was. Becuse quakecon is going to be august 12, and it is supposed to be the first one to show off DM for doom 3.

Also, dont you think that the "very fast prize" that is going to be given away by nvidia, would be the geforce 6800 ultra? I mean after all it is the card of choice for Doom 3.

God... Doom 3 gets shadier and shadier every day. You would think that they'd have a release date before they announce a major tournament. Are they just gonna ship it out to stores without telling anyone or something? Heh.

Epistax said:

The end guy is hard.

Please don't post your sexual experiences on here! :P

As for the actual topic: YAY! It looks like we will finally get Doom3...I can't even imagine how that will be O_o

Shaviro said:

I can't even imagine how that will be O_o

Just try to imagine a video game (like doom) with a modern engine and all kinds of new monsters and textures and story. Something like that....OR....A mindblowing, lifechanging, out of this world, never before experienced horror adventure that will be a milestone in history similar to ACTION DOOM.

What do u mean have it by then? there is no offcial doom 3 release date, nor do I belive that the august 4th date is true.

Id never gives any warning to releases anymore. Not a surprise we haven't heard anything yet... although if it's due out anytime soon the gold announcement should be anyday.

It'd be REALLY goddamned lame if this was a pre-release tourny.

The relevant quote is

With DOOM 3 launching this summer, there won’t be anyone who has had time to practice or master the game, and almost any QuakeCon attendee has a chance to walk away with one of the exclusive DOOM 3 prizes.

Doesn't sound good for a Doom 3 release any time before Quakecon.

True.
It sounds like the Quakecon attendees are the first who get the game in their hands :P
lol, maybe its a final public beta-test and if quakecon runs smooth it will go gold o.0

Either way you look at it, we're definitely within sight of the finish line after 4 years of waiting and anticipation.