Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
psyren

Wintex

Who really knows an idiot-proof format to import textures using Wintex? I know, "Nothing is idiot-proof to a sufficiently talented idiot..." but I just cannot find my way around this mess of arrows and options to figure out what I want to do.

I can bungle around and get flats in my maps, (new sky, floor textures,) but not walls or doors.

Please help if you have any clue. Thanx.

Try XWE by Csabo. It's alot easier-

1. Goto Entry->New. Name the new entry "P_START" or "PP_START." Both work fine.
2. Goto Entry->Load, and select the patch(es) you want to load. They will be automatically converted into patches. Then, add a new entry (see above) called P_END or PP_END. As before, both work.
6. Right click on each patch and click on "Add to Texture..." It will make a TEXTURE1 lump and a PNAMES lump containing all patches and textures from Doom2. To make a textures patch for Doom1 I think you have to replace existing patches without adding a Texture1 lump...

DeePSea is normally useful, agreed. However, if you're just trying to copy one or two textures from one wad to another it's pretty useless, since as far as I can tell it's only capable of copying *all* textures from one wad to another.

Orbis said:

Try XWE by Csabo. It's alot easier-

1. Goto Entry->New. Name the new entry "P_START" or "PP_START." Both work fine.
2. Goto Entry->Load, and select the patch(es) you want to load. They will be automatically converted into patches. Then, add a new entry (see above) called P_END or PP_END. As before, both work.
6. Right click on each patch and click on "Add to Texture..." It will make a TEXTURE1 lump and a PNAMES lump containing all patches and textures from Doom2. To make a textures patch for Doom1 I think you have to replace existing patches without adding a Texture1 lump...

Too bad XWE is buggy as all fuck. Plus, more features would be useful, such as something that would sort textures or organize an unorganized WAD (put all the music together, put the maps first, put all the graphic lumps together, etc.)

(It's what I use, though, so blah)

Thanx alot for the help. AlexMax, I did manage to get it working with XWE, thanks to your instructions. :) I've been using XWE only to merge multiple maps. I was sure it could do a lot more, but the help files make no sense to me.

I have also heard a lot about how great DeePsea is. I downloaded the trial and couldn't even make a single room. ...one of these days.

NiGHTMARE said:

DeePSea is normally useful, agreed. However, if you're just trying to copy one or two textures from one wad to another it's pretty useless, since as far as I can tell it's only capable of copying *all* textures from one wad to another.

He didn't say textures from 1 wad to another. However, various easy solutions exist. The right solution/tool in DeePsea depends on the texture source.

What you are describing is merging 2 or more PWADS with TEXTUREx/PNAMES resources and in that case it is all of them.

What you really want to do in the case of just getting a few textures from a PWAD is import just the patches directly from the PWAD - deleting all the parts you don't want (you can do that). Then you create the TEXTURE manually if there are multiple patches.

However, if the texture is just a single patch, then the fastest simplest method is to first EXPORT the graphic patches you want as a BMP. Then use AUTO Textures from BMPs to import them back and you are done.

But I have the feeling that he has the images already as BMPs, so the last one is by far the simplest and fastest. A 1-step solution, nothing else required.

Various methods available to rename patches and textures. People always keep saying you need P_START and P_END, that's really not required per se. Maybe some programs want that, but DOOM and ports don't care and DeePsea doesn't care :)

I'll just do like I do with html: Copy, paste, delete, and replace. Seems to work just fine. XWE works great for this type of piracy.

Orbis, I followed your instructions and it worked once, then not again. I was a little over confident I suppose.

What exactly is needed when I "select patches"?

Does any bmp made with doom2 palette work?

Do I need to rename the texture to an existing one?

Ok, I made a wad and used the ROCKRED1 texture extensively. Chilvence made me a better one I want to use. He made one 64x128 instead of the 128x128 one I used. He named it BSTONE1, and png format.

I converted it to bmp format, then doubled it to make it 128 wide. Then I added it to my wad as ROCKRED1. It did nothing.

I explore the wad with XWE and it now shows I now have two ROCKRED1 textures that are both the same. What am I doing wrong?

Is it just because this is an animated wall texture?

Using XWE Still? What you want to do is rename any of your new textures to something unique. Then load them into the wad, right click them and select add to texture. If all goes well, your wad should now contain a TEXTURE1 Lump that contains definitions for all the original doom 2 textures + your new custom ones.

Wintex just confuses the hell outta me, but with your help I got it working with XWE. :)

Another question though: If I use P_START / P_END to insert wall textures, do I use the same for flats, or should I put F_START / F_END markers for these? And should they be nested, or separate from P markers?

I was exploring another wad with D64 textures, flats, and sprites, and each addition is nested inside the other, and all within P markers. I suppose I could just experiment, but it's good to keep in a thread so others maybe with similar ignorance can learn from the masters as I have.

The original iwad had all the markers seperated. I dont know why D64 would nest them, unless it was some special hack.

The markers are just to tell the engine and/or the wad author what to count the data between them as. But patches dont nescessarily have to be between P_START and P_END, you can actually use any graphic as long as it is in the PNAMES lump (xwe takes care of that if you select add to patch)

Sprites have to be between S_START and S_END markers, and flats between F_START and F_END. If you're using Zdoom, you can skip all this chicanery altogether and just put any new textures between TX_START and TX_END markers. You can then use the texture straight away without messing around. You can even make up your own markers if you like, although they wont provide any other benefit than visual organisation.

Thanks again, good to know this. And I'm not talking about the TC. I won't even begin messing with that yet! I ripped sprites from one wad because they are so much more frightening than vanilla Doom, and Kaiser already ripped textures, (or made them) in his Console Doom wad, and I love those too.

So they just need to be separated? Textures, flats, sprites, and all between P markers? or not? Oh, you really opened up pandora's box with this one! :)

Hey psyren, how cool to see you again!

Using XWE yes you need to seperate them. Like using S_Start and S_End for sprites, F_Start and F_End for flats and P_start and P_end for patches, I think. Those should work. :)

Good to see you too DD! So what fantastic impossible projects are you up to these days? :) Just being sarcastic you know? Nothing is impossible to the sufficiently talented. (Hmm.. Sounds a lot like nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently talented idiot...) You are still master of many things I don't know, but I'm working to catch up! :)